Gaming Question about 3.30 PS3 FW

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 60gb model with the ps2 chipset in it. I have heard the new 3.30 fw update will strip and/or limit the backwards compatibility with ps2/ps1 games, which is a feature I use a lot. Is it true? I can't seem to find anything online talking about this, but I wanted to be sure before I updated the firmware, as I like to play all my old psx and ps2 games, which is why I bought the 60gb to begin with. Can't see why Sony would remove a feature like this, but then again who knows =\ Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Tom

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, wat. I've got a 60GB PS3 which I still need to repair, and I was looking forward to using it with my old PSX/PS2 games.

Are you sure about this, luke? Actually, I'm googling for this, and I can't find anything about PS3 backwards compatibility being removed
unsure.gif

...And good luck waiting for GeoHot!
nyanya.gif

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is GeoHot someone who works for Sony? Haha because I would rather not softmod my PS3 if I don't have to. The newer consoles (360 and PS3) I have left as virgins lol, I usually mess around with handhelds and older consoles. Wow, so that is really lame..a console with a PS2 chipset in it is being prevented from playing the games that chipset was meant to play by the company that made the console. Great. My PS3 has been updated to whatever the firmware before 3.30 was.

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Wait, wat. I've got a 60GB PS3 which I still need to repair, and I was looking forward to using it with my old PSX/PS2 games.

Are you sure about this, luke? Actually, I'm googling for this, and I can't find anything about PS3 backwards compatibility being removed
unsure.gif

nyanya.gif
Uh you're right, i'm talking bullshit, i'm thinking about OtherOS, silly me.
It's been a long day, *goes to get coffee*

teH XeRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so backwards compatibility has been untouched? I can upgrade to 3.30 and still play my ps2 and psx games on my 60gb like I always have been able to?

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
teH XeRO said:
Okay so backwards compatibility has been untouched? I can upgrade to 3.30 and still play my ps2 and psx games on my 60gb like I always have been able to?
Yes, the only feature that has been removed is the OtherOS feature, so you won't be able to install/use Linux. PS2/PSX Compatibility is untouched, sorry about that misunderstanding.
mellow.gif

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
luke_c said:
raulpica said:

unsure.gif

nyanya.gif
Uh you're right, i'm talking bullshit, i'm thinking about OtherOS, silly me.
It's been a long day, *goes to get coffee*

Lmaorof

Thanks you just made my day
nayps3.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte