Hacking [Question] A9LH and Gateway

gogas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, long story short I have Gateway Emunand (4.x sysnand) running on my O3DS and everything is great but i wanted to look into installing A9LH and I have a few question

• Is it possible to have a A9LH loader working in conjunction with Gateway? I am used to having my backups on the Gateway Card and from what i understand with a CFW you can only load CIA backups right? Personally I think the card is more practical
  • In your opinion if i were to install a CFW which would be better? I hear Luma3ds is pretty good but i don't know
Thank you anyways :)

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, long story short I have Gateway Emunand (4.x sysnand) running on my O3DS and everything is great but i wanted to look into installing A9LH and I have a few question

• Is it possible to have a A9LH loader working in conjunction with Gateway? I am used to having my backups on the Gateway Card and from what i understand with a CFW you can only load CIA backups right? Personally I think the card is more practical
  • In your opinion if i were to install a CFW which would be better? I hear Luma3ds is pretty good but i don't know
GW is not directly compatible with a9lhv2. You will have to use a boot manager but it's not a big deal. There is a guide in the tutorial section.

Luma3DS is the best entry level CFW but since you have been using GW you are already familiar with the basic features since most of them are the same (cia installation etc...).

The most important thing is that if you are using your GW in sysnand do not do a system update. GW does not have the same firm protection that Luma3DS does.

So, it's possible, GW and Luma3DS are both CFW's, and GW is dangerous win sysnand.

I have a GW too but I ditched it shortly after installing a9lh.

gogas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GW is not directly compatible with a9lhv2. You will have to use a boot manager but it's not a big deal. There is a guide in the tutorial section.

Luma3DS is the best entry level CFW but since you have been using GW you are already familiar with the basic features since most of them are the same (cia installation etc...).

The most important thing is that if you are using your GW in sysnand do not do a system update. GW does not have the same firm protection that Luma3DS does.

So, it's possible, GW and Luma3DS are both CFW's, and GW is dangerous win sysnand.

I have a GW too but I ditched it shortly after installing a9lh.

Ok, so with a boot manager i will be able to chose between booting into Gateway emunand and a9lh?

That sound nice ^_^

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so with a boot manager i will be able to chose between booting into Gateway emunand and a9lh?

That sound nice ^_^
A9lh is just the entry point, kind of like the mset entry you are probably using now. The boot manager will let you choose between GW and Luma3DS.

If you only want to use gateway you do not need to have Luma3DS installed. A9lh will launch your boot manager and from there you load the GW emunand.

Honestly, if that is all that you want then there really is no need for you to install a9lh. It will only save you about 20 seconds when booting your system.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
A9lh is just the entry point, kind of like the mset entry you are probably using now. The boot manager will let you choose between GW and Luma3DS.

If you only want to use gateway you do not need to have Luma3DS installed. A9lh will launch your boot manager and from there you load the GW emunand.

Honestly, if that is all that you want then there really is no need for you to install a9lh. It will only save you about 20 seconds when booting your system.
You do kind of need Luma - updating sysNAND in Gateway mode will either brick or remove a9lh.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

You can do that, just make sure you don't use Gateway's "Fast Boot", it's not safe. Follow the Plailect guide and once you're done you can set up a boot manager to load Gateway's arm9loaderhax.bin. I would recommend keeping emuNAND for Gateway, as you're one accidental update away from removing access to Gateway and A9LH in Gateway sysNAND mode (and if it was a n3DS, it would just brick)
You can still use sysNAND for Luma if you want, to run DSiWare/GBA games for example, which Gateway doesn't support.
There are other alternatives to CIA and Gateway these days, you can download games directly from Nintendo's servers using freeShop. .3DS roms are still faster to download if you have fast internet though, and converting Gateway saves to CIA is a minor pain in the ass.

Reactions: Quantumcat

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
just do the plailect guide to get a9lh and then use the bootloader, thats what i did and it works awesome, you can use gateway and luma when needed, i probably havent had a reason to use luma on my gateway 3ds except for a couple of games that didnt installed in gateway, besides dsi and gba you dont miss anything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night