(Question) 3DS hardware modifications?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by petethepug, Feb 6, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I don't othen post stuff like this becuase I don't like to get into a lot of soldering & handling parts. But I was thinking of finally getting into it.

Ever since the new 3ds came out, I always wondered if you could replace the CPU in a old 3ds unit with a new 3ds unit.

Unless this is all ran through the motherboard of the 3ds I do think it's possible to replace it with the newer CPU, or likewise take the whole motherboard and modify it accordingly with the old 3ds's hardware.

Sorry, kind of just a thought that poped up in mg head :P

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: The SoCs likely have different pinouts, among other things. You'd also need to install a matching N3DS eMMC. Both the SoC and eMMC are BGA devices, which are ridiculously difficult to remove and replace. In addition, the power management hardware is different on N3DS and O3DS, so you'd likely end up with a microcontroller brick.

If you did manage to get it working, you'd be missing the ZL and ZR buttons, C-stick, and NFC reader, and since it's an N3DS CPU, it wouldn't let you use Circle Pad Pro or the external NFC reader.

3. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The CPU and NAND are encrypted, so both would need to be replaced.
    Also, the N3DS fails to boot if the C-Stick isn't connected.
    And, I doubt they'd be pin compatible.

4. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Alright well, I did not understand 90% of what you said but, i'm going to take it that it would need a lot of exploits & well knowledge of replacing items with other items.

Thanks for filling me in with the info tho guys :P