Hacking Quality of replacement shells from DealExtreme?

ChaosTheorySD

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pondering getting this one, but I'm wondering if anyone around here has any experience with these shells. I read the reviews that said that the plastic is "softer" and more prone to scratching, so I'm planning on also getting a transparent crystal case to go over the top of it. Wondering about the buttons though. I hope they're not cheap and clicky. Also it looks like it comes with two different colored screen borders, so I don't know what's up with that. Any input would be appreciated.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
it's not a bad shell, however its also not one of the better ones that they carry. the fit and finish is ok, but not perfect. the inner and outer pieces for both shell halves do not fit together as nice as the original oem parts for one thing.
the silver zelda: phantom hourglass one is rather nice and the quality is better than the gold triforce case:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18705

additionally, if you do order one, make sure not to over tighten the 4 screws that hold the inner and outer halves of the upper shell, otherwise you will cause "bumps" to form on the top outside of the upper shell from the screws themselves.

and no matter which shell kit that you purchase, it's a good idea to "tap" the holes with the appropriate screws to ensure that you do not cross-thread any of the holes.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thieves like us said:
it's not a bad shell, however its also not one of the better ones that they carry. the fit and finish is ok, but not perfect. the inner and outer pieces for both shell halves do not fit together as nice as the original oem parts for one thing.
the silver zelda: phantom hourglass one is rather nice and the quality is better than the gold triforce case:

additionally, if you do order one, make sure not to over tighten the 4 screws that hold the inner and outer halves of the upper shell, otherwise you will cause "bumps" to form on the top outside of the upper shell from the screws themselves.

and no matter which shell kit that you purchase, it's a good idea to "tap" the holes with the appropriate screws to ensure that you do not cross-thread any of the holes.

Yup, don't over tighten screws in plastic, as soon as you feel the screws get more difficult to turn and the case is tight together stop. Think about buying two cases if you can afford it, practice is the only way to get a feel for how much force you need.

ChaosTheorySD

OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
thieves like us said:

When you say they don't fit together as nicely, like there's a gap between the pieces of plastic or something? Or do you mean when you shut the DS it doesn't sit flush?

myclock

Trophies
Website
www.ahg123.com
XP
Country
I recently got a case from DX. I'd say fitment is about 95% +

Only thing that didn't fit well was the power slide button. It was a bit loose, so I used my original one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @StatusN, welcome