OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get It Here

Current Status, as of 29/04/07
This port was started in mid-October 2006. It is not yet finished, however it is nearing completion.
The game

* the program, working state and game data have been squeezed into the four megabytes of main memory
* it requires either shareware or commercial pak files, Amiga and PC paks have been successfully used
* total conversions and mods should work, assuming they respect the tiny memory size (extended RAM to be supported in a couple of weeks)
* infrastructure-based wifi network gaming is supported (build to be released in a few days, after more testing)
* ad-hoc DS/DS gaming will be supported at a later date
* there is now full control configuration
* game saves now work, although there may be some corruption using certain DLDI drivers
* there's a crosshair :-)
* there is a proper timebase, so the speed won't be inconsistent any more!

Graphics

* the majority of the software renderering has been moved over to using the 3D hardware
* world textures are display nearly-correctly, there are however non-power-of-two textures still aren't rendered correcly; Alias models are fully textured
* the game uses faux vertex lighting, derived from the original lightmaps; light animations also work correctly. Full lightmapping may be included at a later date
* there's no dynamic lighting yet
* Alias models are not lit
* sprites and particles are hacked in (as of 17/02/07) and are only partially hardware-accelerated, and have no textures
* there are sky, water, sludge, lava and teleporter animations (the sky is now rendered mostly-correctly, too)
* the console now uses the Quake font from the chosen pak files
* the game uses hardware fogging for a light depth cue above ground, thick fog for below water
* there's a HUD
* GUI elements are transparent

Sound

* sound effects support is about 95% finished, with the whole sound system running on the ARM7
* the sound system uses proper spatial positioning (it is stereo though...) - plug it into your speakers and subwoofer to hear all the effort I put into this!
* CD music is currently being investigated
o the existing solution requires the CD soundtrack to be ripped to your flash card
o uses an MP3 decoder, running on the second processor
o ...but the file streaming slows down the primary processor a bit too much

Tech info

* uses the libfat DLDI interface, so should hopefully work on all supported flash cards
* built using the latest toolchain, devkitARM r20
* textures and sounds are loaded from disk on demand - you will notice slow loading if you have certain types of cards, or low quality flash cards
* sound and texture memory is defragged in the background
* in-game performance is still not hot, but is being actively worked on - expect to see it run twice as fast in the finished build
* Alias rendering performance has been improved by 300%, brush model rendering 30%
* performance is timed using a custom function-instrumenting profiler (a bit like gprof) and another system is used for recording the exact pad and screen input for later replaying
* the DS is put to sleep when the lid closes (disabled in this build)
* there is no texturing on brush or Alias models or images loaded from individual files - you must use pak files

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah its fantastic, was just playing the Doom conversion today and was hoping to get an update on Quake soon.

It is a little slow but the guy says it will be twice the speed when its final.

pduin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cant wait to play it!
but unfortunately it doen not work on m3 minisd
frown.gif

it boots, but hangs on the line "freeing precaches" (in console)

nick_stubbings

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, im having the same problem with my M3 perfect CF... it hangs at "Freeing Precaches".

i have tried the registered version and the shareware version, and the config.cfg from my pc (standard, unmodified) and the customised config.cfg (obviously not at the same time
smile.gif
)

i have also tried using the M3 Game Manager to convert it (1xDMA, 4xDMA and safe mode) but i get the same result when i run it,
"Freeing Precaches"

can someone give me a hand with this, i really want to try it (Pre-Release 1 worked by the way, didnt need to DLDI patch it or anything... - yes, i tried to DLDI patch release 2, and it wouldnt even start...)

wtf.gif

Help!

James Kudo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this has gone a far away. I never thought this project would get this far.

Now all we need is Duke Nukem 3D.
wink.gif

nick_stubbings

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
err... so... has anyone got any ideas as to why it wont run?

just a thought, would it matter if im using the PAK files from WinQuake? they are the same as far as i know...

Arrrgggghhhh!!!! i have tried everything and it just wont get past the Freeing Precaches line in the console... Why???
wacko.gif

rendil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've gotten it to work on both my G6 Lite and M3 Lite using the following methods. Please not I have no idea if capitalization matters for this release, but I renamed everything lowercase, just in case:

1. Create a folder in the root of your sd card/flash cart named 'id1'
2. Copy pak0.pak and pak1.pak from your retail Quake\id1 into the id1 folder you created in step 1
3. Download the config.cfg file to the id1 folder you created in step 1 (you can find this file on http://quake.drunkencoders.com )
4. Download the Quake DS pre-release, and extract QuakeDS.nds - you do not need any other file in the archive.
5. Patch QuakeDS.nds using the latest DLDI driver for your card (you can download the latest from http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/ )
6. Copy QuakeDS.nds to wherever your card runs NDS files from (for my G6, that was the \NDS folder, and for the M3 it was the root of the SD card).
7. Put your cart in and enjoy!

So, you only need 4 files on your cart: pak0.pak, pak1.pak (both from the retail Quake game), config.cfg, QuakeDS.nds (both from http://quake.drunkencoders.com - with QuakeDS.nds patched with the appropriate DLDI driver). I did not run the NDS file through the M3 or G6 game managers, just copied directly after patching.

If you're having issues, I would check the following:
1. Make sure you patched the NDS file with the latest DLDI driver for your cart - if there is more than 1 driver available, try the alternatives as well.
2. Rename the 'id1' folder, and the config.cfg, pak0.pak and pak1.pak files to all be lower case (I'm not sure this is necessary, but it can't hurt).
3. Do not put the NDS file on through your card's game manager, just copy it over to the appropriate folder.

Not sure what else could be the problem, as it worked perfectly on both my carts the first try.

rendil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This and DSDoom have been bringing back a lot of memories for me - it's crazy how many secrets I still remember as I go through the levels. Can't wait for the ad-hoc DS/DS gaming

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I should say 525Mbps but I doubt the extra 25Mbps matters lol