Hacking QQ3DS Disk Writer v1.0.6 Help

Shiggitay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all. So before y'all jump on me, I know the QQ3DS is basically (or actually) a cheaper Sky3DS clone. I'm well aware of that, and I have one in transit.

With that said, I have some ROMs I want to play once it arrives, and I've been trying to put them on an mSD I have laying around. The only problem is that Windows 8.1 doesn't seem to like DiskWriter 1.0.6. I've tried messing with compatibility settings, but I've not yet found a stable way to 'flash' my ROMs to the 16 GB mSD I have. Also, when I am able to put some onto the mSD and then close out of DW and go back many times I see nothing, or 1 or two of the 6 or so I put on there. Is this a common issue?

Lastly, somehow DW screws with the filesystem on the mSD so much that I have to use a third party app to get it to be FAT32 again (otherwise it's only FAT, and its full capacity is less than 1 MiB... yes MiB.

Any help is appreciated. I'll also check in to the GBATemp iRC channel to see if anyone's awake there.

Thanks,
Shiggitay

D

Deleted User

Make sure it's Diskwriter 1.06b5. Works fine on Windows 8.1 Pro without any special settings.

DW uses its own file system for writing ROMS. It creates a 1MB partition for location purposes and uses the remaining space for ROMS. You can't use the MicroSD for anything other than writing. FAT/FAT32 is irrelevant on Sky/QQ 3DS. There's no need to do any formatting to FAT32 or otherwise.

Just plug in the microSD, use Format in Diskwriter, and then drag and drop your ROMS one at a time and then exit.

Might also want to check the microSD using HWTest and verify it's a legit SD.

Reactions: Shiggitay

Shiggitay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure it's Diskwriter 1.06b5. Works fine on Windows 8.1 Pro without any special settings.

DW uses its own file system for writing ROMS. It creates a 1MB partition for location purposes and uses the remaining space for ROMS. You can't use the MicroSD for anything other than writing. FAT/FAT32 is irrelevant on Sky/QQ 3DS. There's no need to do any formatting to FAT32 or otherwise.

Just plug in the microSD, use Format in Diskwriter, and then drag and drop your ROMS one at a time and then exit.

Might also want to check the microSD using HWTest and verify it's a legit SD.

Sweet! Yeah I was attempting to batch flash my ROMs... So it has to be one at a time and on 1.06b5... Cool. I'll search for that version. Also using that version should I go back into it should I see the files that successfully wrote?

D

Deleted User

I'd just go to the SKy3DS website and download the newest template and diskwriter, format your SD, and try writing one rom at a time and verifying. It doesn't have to be one at a time, but worth a shot since you're having issues.

Reactions: Shiggitay

Shiggitay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just go to the SKy3DS website and download the newest template and diskwriter, format your SD, and try writing one rom at a time and verifying. It doesn't have to be one at a time, but worth a shot since you're having issues.

Okay I got the latest stuff and I'm trying again, but I don't have high hopes... lol

Shiggitay

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I wrote the ROMs I want and then I closed out of DW. I go back into it to see if they're there, and my suspicions are correct as with previous attempts. I see nothing on the mSD and upon launching DW (in admin) it says the SD had to be formatted. What gives? What am I doing wrong? Are my ROMs gone?

D

Deleted User

Do this:

Launch Diskwriter.
File->Format - say Yes to proceed.
At the bottom it should say total Free space - post that here.
Try writing a game - select Yes for EEPROM.
After it finishes, back out of Diskwriter and launch again and see if the rom is still there.

Could also be a bad MicroSD/SD Reader

D

Deleted User

If it still doesn't work, try on a different/friends PC or an external reader. Sometimes laptop readers have issues.

Tried a 4GB microSD on my 8.1 Pro desktop and was able to format, write game, and verify game was still there afterwards. ( I use a USB reader though)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2