Gaming [Q] Why do people pirate?

• Thread starter Lavanoid
  • Start date
  • Views 26,456
  • Replies 292
  • Likes 2
L

Lavanoid

i pirate cause im not gonna spend 240 bucks IF IM LUCKY for a 2nd region console for exclusives

so all in all i do it for the region free

You could have waited for Smealum to release a region free exploit, or better - hackers could have dedicated their time to region free instead.

Reactions: filfat

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just leave this wonderful thread here http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Oh and that bit about piracy putting developers out of business? That's never happened, see: thread. So many falsities about piracy, the truth behind it, I recommend reading.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you say to those who live in countries where games have exorbitant taxes, making games close to 100 dollars? "Deal with it and buy the games already"? Buying the games isn't always a reasonable option for certain countries.

What about the company who developed Cubic Ninja? They closed down AGES ago, reason being that they didn't have much business - piracy gives other companies less business too. Heck, probably the reason why Nintendo charge so much for titles is because they need to re-gain what was lost to piracy.

Read that thread, I posted it there, like, actually read the myths behind piracy. The prices are not due to piracy, the prices are due covering costs of development. Piracy never has and never will single-handledly killed a company. By making this thread, you really opened a can of worms. Piracy always has and always will be something people do for whatever reasons. Some countries, like Brazil, forced Nintendo to leave the market due to high tariffs, games are pricey as hell, do you really think people are going to pay full price for games over there?

Reactions: BLOCKMINER3000

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I get to try out games I don't deem worth the asking price.
Many times I end up buying the games I really like from pirating them, for example, layton and phoenix wright series.

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean its not really any of yourbusiness. but some people don't have a lot of money to buy these games they want to play

CarefulCrysis

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I generally pay for what I like and have purchased almost all of my games with my own hard earned money, but I have to sell some games to pay my bills and i found myself wanting those games back, hence my reason for purchasing my gateway card. Regardless I always find that when I've purchased a game I try to get more of the value and playability out of it, also if I don't like a game which I haven't purchased (found in a special place on interweb) I know not to purchase it :)

L

Lavanoid

What do you say to those who live in countries where games have exorbitant taxes, making games close to 100 dollars? "Deal with it and buy the games already"? Buying the games isn't always a reasonable option for certain countries.

The link you provided states "Piracy isnt illegal" - don't know if anyone knows this, when you buy a game - you buy the right to play it, it doesn't mean that you actually own the right to the franchise. That's like saying "Oh yeah, now that I've purchased Pokemon - I'm gonna make copies and sell them for money" - which is in fact illegal. The thread that you linked me to it rather pathetic. How else do you think businesses afford better technology for research and such? Through the money gained by sold products.

What if EVERYONE pirated from Nintendo for example? How would you expect them to stay in business - cu'mon - explain it to me. How can they keep the servers running? How can they pay staff? Well? You buy a game to play it and to contribute to the developers - end of, if that wasn't the case, then why would businesses expect money at all? "They could just give everything away and magically get free energy and other resources".

Reactions: SLiV3R
L

Lavanoid

i mean its not really any of yourbusiness. but some people don't have a lot of money to buy these games they want to play

If people can't afford to play a game - then they shouldn't be playing them, but rather getting a decent job and save up for them. Do you see animals in the wild playing games? No - they have to spend their lives trying to survive - just like what honest people do, but working their ass off to earn money.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people can't afford to play a game - then they shouldn't be playing them, but rather getting a decent job and save up for them. Do you see animals in the wild playing games? No - they have to spend their lives trying to survive - just like what honest people do, but working their ass off to earn money.

Because people in all countries are immediately rich enough to spend money on all games, right??? It's not your right to dictate what people can and can't do. What we do is none of your business. Don't tell us that, "if you don't have money you shouldn't be playing games" bullshit, we get it, but you're not our leader and can't tell us what we should or shouldn't do, that's not your place to command. Go bitch about piracy somewhere else.

TwoBladedKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Honestly, most of my pirating is to get around regionlocking issues, such as Senran Kagura 2 and most likely DeSu2:BreRe when released (EU is suffering), which of course I'll buy if they get released over here. Other times I'll pirate to try a game out. If I enjoy it, I'll buy it. If not, then I'll delete it, either way there's no loss to the developers. With prices for new games at 60-70 for 3ds games and 90+ for ps3/xbox games I'd rather know that I'm going to enjoy a game before I buy it than dropping cash on it and finding out I don't enjoy it.

L

Lavanoid

Because people in all countries are immediately rich enough to spend money on all games. It's not your right to dictate what people can and can't do. What we do is none of your damn business.

I'm not saying what they should or should not do - I'm expressing an opinion, while providing facts. You telling me, that you'd rather spend you life playing games? It's pretty stupid if your poor to say the least. If your poor, you should be more concerned about survival - heck, how did you buy the console if your poor? Pretty dumb investment.

pikanag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

well i guess, but its their money and they can do whatever they want with it
1. using and installing gateway is relatively easy if you know what you are doing.
2. if you want to play online just get a .cia. only 3ds games i'd play online are smash and pokemon. i have smash on my wii u so i don't really need 3ds version. and i don't battle pokemon much
3. don't be an idiot and press random buttons when a popup comes. read it. if it asks to update just press no. no need to be dumb.
4. pirates are only about 7% of all games. so they still getting 93% of the profit from legit buyers
5. i am selfish. deal with it
6. data loss lol. just start a new game. its not that hard. so what if you lose a lvl 100 pokemon, big deal just hack it back in.

this is probably my favorite quote from one of my favorite animes
Screen+shot+2010-10-21+at+4.02.47+PM.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen