[Q] Porting Apache and PHP5 to 3DS - Webserver

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WhoAmI?, Apr 13, 2015.

1. WhoAmI?
    OP

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    As the title says: Is it possible to port Apache web server and PHP5, to the 3DS? I know that it would probably be the worlds worst web server but it would still be pretty cool.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I suppose that the easiest would be to port Linux to the 3DS and install Apache and PHP5 on it.

WeedZ likes this.
  3. KingOfHell

KingOfHell Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    Uh, no, I'm pretty sure it would be easier to just port apache and php5 to 3ds. Porting Linux would be neat, but kinda overkill.

4. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    Good luck porting Apache, and very likely PHP, without a full blown OS.

5. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I take it you guys don't understand web servers. good luck porting it without a Unix based system. Especially php5 lol

6. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    I think Apache would be harder, it needs threading, forking, scheduling, sockets and probably other things. PHP is just a language, you could more easily remove libraries to make some minimal version available.

7. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    I was referring to php as a module. It can run scripts on its own but not from a remote server. It need something to run from. like apache.

Edit, nvm I see what you're saying. That's what I meant, you can't port a scripting language. It's a nonsensical idea. The platform needs to be ported. And in this case it would be more realistic to port unix.

8. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Porting some stripped down build of Linux (maybe damn small Linux or something) might be of use for this to work. That being said, I think we're still a pretty long way off from that happening.

9. WeedZ

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Even if you get a decent enough port it seems, having seen the remote desktop app, that it would be difficult to get the 3ds to handle data packets effectively.

10. WhoAmI?
    OP

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    I suppose it would be better to write a simple web server, from scratch? If FTP homebrew is possible, maybe this is too. As for PHP - forget it, could probably just write a program that works similar to it.

11. Plasmastar510

Plasmastar510 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    You could just write your own HTTPD... Not that complicated. Making it compatible with PHP though...that's a different story.

WhoAmI? likes this.