Purchasing a R4DS

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by stahl, Dec 7, 2008.

Dec 7, 2008

Purchasing a R4DS by stahl at 6:12 PM (2,289 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. stahl
    OP

stahl Newbie

Hello all,

I have a quick question.

I recently got a clone r4ds and after reading all the horror stories of it bricking your DS, I don't really want to take any chances. I've read that the original r4ds cannot be found in stores anymore due to the r4 team shutting down. With that being said, I have seen a few online stores that sell both clones, and original r4ds (shows the original packaging with the firmware disk). Should I assume that if I order an "original" r4ds that I will receive a clone, even though the packaging and product description matches that of the original?

I saw an "original" at divineo:
    (scroll down to see the packaging)

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/hb-ds-r4

Here they are selling a clone:

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/hb-ds-r4sdhc

Any chances that they are in fact selling real r4ds?

Thanks.

2. Veristical Blaze

Member Veristical Blaze GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Its just luck sometimes the sellers doesnt even know if he is selling the real or fake [​IMG]

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    There's a 99% chance that you'll get a clone.

Stay away from R4, it's outdated nowadays (and pricey only because of its name).

If you want something cheap and good, get an AceKard2 or a DSTT.

4. DokiDoki98

Member DokiDoki98 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    DSTT is the next R4.

I prefer M3 real.

If u have $$ get a cyclo

EDGE is good to.

5. skyman747

Member skyman747 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Stop. Hammer Time.

Don't buy an R4. It is a dead cart. You can pick up alot better carts for less than that.

6. go185

Member go185 GBAtemp Regular

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    DStt is still good but i suggest either cyclo,supercard at best though others are not so bad like DStt but acekard i heard is problematic but not so much
    Still R4 rocks since such an outdated card still has hunger fans on some games and skins for menu and cheats... (ask narin how many databases are in multiplicity (r4 has 3 i think))

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Get an Acekard 2, the R4 is an outdated piece of hardware.

9. stahl
    OP

stahl Newbie

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Looks like I will check out purchasing a DSTT.

Just one last question. How frequently does a fake r4 brick your DS? Do people have any good experiences with them or is it just very rare that they malfunction? I've read so many people say that fakes are fine and won't brick the DS, yet I read other posters in this forum who have had a bricked DS from r4.

10. Master_SL

Newcomer Master_SL Member

United States
    Don't get clones period.

11. stahl
    OP

stahl Newbie

12. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    I suggest getting an AceKard 2, stay away from the DSTT and R4. There are so many clones for them and they have problems of their owns. The R4 clones have a high rate of corruption, malfunction and bricking while the DSTT is know to corrupt your MicroSD card especially if the game is patched. The DSTT also have problems with translated/patched games which was intentionally done by the DSTT team.

Overall the AceKard 2 is the best budget card on the market right now. If you do get one, I suggest using the AKAIO firmware made by our very own GBAtemp members Normmat and Smiths. They even have a section here on GBAtemp now at http://akaio.gbatemp.net Not much there at the moment but its being worked on. You can find more info about AKAIO here http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/AKAIO at the wiki. It has many features you expect in a higher priced flashcard. They are currently working on soft reset for homebrew and other really nice features.

13. fma

Newcomer fma Member

United States
    I recently (2 weeks ago) got a real R4 DS, so I can say first hand they are still available.

14. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
  15. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Get an M3 Real [​IMG] they pwn due to Sakura. Off Topic: Can someone link me to some AK2 GUI screenshots? I don't know what it looks like.

16. Reaper

Member Reaper Tͩ͒ͥ̈́ͧ̓͑̆̂

United States
    Git a Cyclo, which is the best.
    Or AK
    Or TT

Cause there's too many R4 clones and the real one is outdated.

k

17. Meatbrain

Newcomer Meatbrain Advanced Member

United States
    If the R4 HCSD is the same type I got, it's actually probably the most solid build in the R4 series. Granted I agree the CycloDS, EDGE, and AK are more reliable, I think the TC wants to know which R4 carts could possibly be tolerable.

Also, to the post 2 spaces above me, you can see the sexy interface of the AK2 here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=79368

A calender, start-bar, damn.

18. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    I recommend taking a step back and looking at all your options, though if it were me I would get an M3 Real because of Sakura. Also Sakura has many features that CycloDS has.

19. stahl
    OP

stahl Newbie

Sort of. I do have the R4 HCSD. I really just want any information on how often the clones ruin your DS. Then again, you only hear the horror stories. My girlfriends brothers friend has had a clone for a few years and had no problems. He was so uneducated that he didn't even know what a clone was which I imagine is the case for a lot of people.

For those wondering, I purchased 2 DSTT's and 1 AK2 from dealextreme. I'm hoping that one of the 2 DSTTs are real and hopefully the AK2 is as well. I just really want one legit flash cart to play roms on. I don't really care about features and all that jazz. Hopefully the AK2 will be fine.

20. Meatbrain

Newcomer Meatbrain Advanced Member

United States
    AK2 is definitely great, I've never used a DSTT though . The price of the AK2 on DealExtreme is really good, I just can't stand their slow shipping