purchasing a 1080ti, what brand?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by migles, Jul 11, 2017.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i am almost ready to get the gpu for my build.
    my issue now is choosing between what 1080ti.. there are so many brands that sell it and some different versions..

i thought about the asus strix (with oc) because it's easily available here and my mobo being asus, but i am not that kite happy with asus at software level... but well, it's a standard choice and will probably work.

the evga ftw seems very interesting, it's more expensive than the asus i mentioned above and i like evga, however getting it is kite hard, and i don't know if the higher price and the small hassle of getting it is worth it.. i know they have this "icx" thing, but i am not sure if that's just a marketing bullshit

MSI doesn't appeal me that much. and i don't know much about it

there are other choices of course.. i don't mind paying extra to better quality or cool options (theese things are already expensive, if i worried about money i would get a medium range gpu)

2. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Most solutions are on par with each other. Differences will show when you watercool em or get a hybrid. So I'd go for the cheapest non FE card

3. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    If I was paying £500+ for a card, then EVGA, MSI or Gigabyte purely for the rma service.

Last edited by Armadillo, Jul 11, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    what you mean by that?

5. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Aftercare service if it goes wrong and you have to claim on warranty. MSI and EVGA have fantastic rma services, Gigabyte does as well (well at least in the UK), dunno about the rest of Europe. Asus, I wish you luck if you have to use their EU service.

6. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    thanks for the tip

7. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Gigabyte +1. Had to RMA my 970 due to it causing crashes and restarts. Got a replacement no questions asked and good support during the debugging on my computer.

Heard good things about EVGA too from my colleagues both for PSUs as well as GPUs.

8. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    MSI and EVGA have good graphics cards, and their cards have a few tweaks for extra performance...

9. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    evga, msi, or gigabyte are what i'd consider in that order. whatever you find for the best price though will be good.