Psychology.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Theraima, Feb 24, 2011.

Feb 24, 2011

Psychology. by Theraima at 6:44 PM (1,045 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Theraima
    OP

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    Anyone into psychology here at the 'Temp? I for one want to learn more about it, its so interesting in my opinion. Some people have even called me sort of an "mentalist". Mentalist is probably my favourite show nowadays, I guess thats what got me into this psychology stuff.

So.. Is anyone here studying psychology and if so, why are you studying it? Also if someone can recommend any books or something like that about psychology, I'd appreciate it.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I'm taking introduction to psychology as part of the IST program at my college.

Become very familiar with the scientific method, and the concepts of "burden of proof", and proper use of logic.

3. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Taking an intro to class mainly cause I am interested in it, so that's a plus as it is a requirement too. Seems pretty easy so far and have been doing well in my exams without much studying.

4. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    I had a Sociology class once. Out of the 246 people in said class, 194 were Psych majors.
    Personally I think it's kinda overrated, I don't need a class to understand how people work, all you need is basic observation.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    just an introduction class because it was a requirement...

6. Sephxus

Member Sephxus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You couldn't be more wrong. [​IMG]

7. Twiffles

Germany
    Really now. Prove it to me, please.

8. Sephxus

United States
    Very simple really. What is "basic" observation really? You simply can't used a biased approach to scientific study. Do we study physics based on gut feelings?

9. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I don't know dude... when i'm on a rollercoaster and my stomach is in my throat i know i'm going down really fast. how's that for physics based on gut feelings?

for serious though... anyone who thinks "basic observation" counts as psychology watches too much tv

10. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Actually, he's right.
    Psychology is the science of the mind, and goes really in depth with people. You can still understand how people work without knowing the finer details.

11. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    or you could just be pretentious and think you do [​IMG]

12. Twiffles

Germany
    I'll give you the "basic" bit because it is subjective, and the bias depends on who's observing, of course. It's only scientific if you want it to be. We're all humans after all, I feel 'science' is just another way to over-complicate nature. Plus you can derive a lot about who a person is just by their day-to-day mannerisms, so I apparently need science to reaffirm that it is what it is, huh.

I dunno, I just find the whole thing so dry when people try to teach it, and act like they can understand people because they read a book.
    Oh well, I get enough arguments from the Psych majors I know anyway.

13. Sephxus

United States
    First of all, he mentioned sociology. Secondly, psychology is not just about the study of the mind as the media portrays it. That is actually called cognitive psychology, and as you may have guessed there are several branches of psychology. Four major forces: Psychoanalysis (probably what most of you know, since it is portrayed all over the media), behaviorism, humanism, and my favorite multiculturalism.

14. ineap09

Member ineap09 GBAtemp Regular

Guyana
    Well, I hate to break this lovely series of exchange, but...

I love Psychology. It taught me a new way of thinking which enhanced every area of my life. It's my favorite class this senior year of high school. I've always wanted to go in the direction of video games, programming, and digital art, but Psychology is also looking pretty awesome right now. Who knows where my life will lead.

15. thegreatace

Newcomer thegreatace Member

United States
    I have my BA minor in psychology, mainly for the ability to council people. to be honest though, Animal psychology is much more entertaining and informative. Human Psychology is too convoluted, there is really no book I can recommend besides maybe some philosophy to help you understand worldviews. besides that what your interested in is not psychology, its hollywood psychology most likely.

16. SmokeFox

Member SmokeFox Jesus Christ is the Lord

Brazil
    Well, i do love psychiatrie and all the effects of human mind, i dont know if Psychology helps it for real.

17. Memoir

Member Memoir Undeserved

United States
    I'm not studying it per-say, but I want to... It interests me, and I've been told that I'm good with the mental warfare and explanations and what not.