I own this desert, bitches!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Anyone into psychology here at the 'Temp? I for one want to learn more about it, its so interesting in my opinion. Some people have even called me sort of an "mentalist". Mentalist is probably my favourite show nowadays, I guess thats what got me into this psychology stuff.

So.. Is anyone here studying psychology and if so, why are you studying it? Also if someone can recommend any books or something like that about psychology, I'd appreciate it.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Taking an intro to class mainly cause I am interested in it, so that's a plus as it is a requirement too. Seems pretty easy so far and have been doing well in my exams without much studying.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had a Sociology class once. Out of the 246 people in said class, 194 were Psych majors.
Personally I think it's kinda overrated, I don't need a class to understand how people work, all you need is basic observation.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twiffles said:
I had a Sociology class once. Out of the 246 people in said class, 194 were Psych majors.
Personally I think it's kinda overrated, I don't need a class to understand how people work, all you need is basic observation.
You couldn't be more wrong.
sleep.gif

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephxus said:
Twiffles said:
Sephxus said:
sleep.gif
Really now. Prove it to me, please.
Very simple really. What is "basic" observation really? You simply can't used a biased approach to scientific study. Do we study physics based on gut feelings?

I don't know dude... when i'm on a rollercoaster and my stomach is in my throat i know i'm going down really fast. how's that for physics based on gut feelings?

for serious though... anyone who thinks "basic observation" counts as psychology watches too much tv

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sephxus said:
Twiffles said:
sleep.gif
Actually, he's right.
Psychology is the science of the mind, and goes really in depth with people. You can still understand how people work without knowing the finer details.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Sephxus said:
Twiffles said:
sleep.gif
Actually, he's right.
Psychology is the science of the mind, and goes really in depth with people. You can still understand how people work without knowing the finer details.

or you could just be pretentious and think you do
wink.gif

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sephxus said:
Very simple really. What is "basic" observation really? You simply can't used a biased approach to scientific study. Do we study physics based on gut feelings?
I'll give you the "basic" bit because it is subjective, and the bias depends on who's observing, of course. It's only scientific if you want it to be. We're all humans after all, I feel 'science' is just another way to over-complicate nature. Plus you can derive a lot about who a person is just by their day-to-day mannerisms, so I apparently need science to reaffirm that it is what it is, huh.

I dunno, I just find the whole thing so dry when people try to teach it, and act like they can understand people because they read a book.
Oh well, I get enough arguments from the Psych majors I know anyway.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Sephxus said:
Twiffles said:
sleep.gif
Actually, he's right.
First of all, he mentioned sociology. Secondly, psychology is not just about the study of the mind as the media portrays it. That is actually called cognitive psychology, and as you may have guessed there are several branches of psychology. Four major forces: Psychoanalysis (probably what most of you know, since it is portrayed all over the media), behaviorism, humanism, and my favorite multiculturalism.

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
Well, I hate to break this lovely series of exchange, but...

I love Psychology. It taught me a new way of thinking which enhanced every area of my life. It's my favorite class this senior year of high school. I've always wanted to go in the direction of video games, programming, and digital art, but Psychology is also looking pretty awesome right now. Who knows where my life will lead.

thegreatace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have my BA minor in psychology, mainly for the ability to council people. to be honest though, Animal psychology is much more entertaining and informative. Human Psychology is too convoluted, there is really no book I can recommend besides maybe some philosophy to help you understand worldviews. besides that what your interested in is not psychology, its hollywood psychology most likely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs