deethebee

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
My psu recently died on me. So of course i gotta buy a new one i know i need about 600w.
both psus i want are pretty much the same price

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OCZ-ModXStream-Pro...=item3efe35eea9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817182200

i need help on which one to choose. does 30w really make a difference?

oh yeah my build is

amd phenom iix2 550 (plan on unlocking 1 or 2 extra cores)

2x2gb adata gaming series ram

500gb seagate barracuda

sapphire 4650 (i plan on upgrading to 5770)

m4a79xtd-evo mobo

5 fans

1 dvd-rw

and i plan on getting cathodes and a fan speed controller

thanks everyone

-Daniel

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Most power supplies are overated for there power anyway a max 550 watt might only be putting out 350 watt reliable.
See if you can get a power supply with 2 fans 120mm to suck it up and 60mm to push out the back.
I have a single 120mm power supply and it dumps all the dust on the CPU

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
More modern cases tend to have the PSU on the bottom of the case rather than the top. It's usually more efficient since it takes in less dust that way, doesn't block the path of heat in a case, and corrects a slight weight imbalance that may cause a case to fall over when knocked (it's happened a lot in High School). In any case, your system is unlikely to go above 600W anyway, so the extra 30W won't make the blindest bit of difference. As a rough guess, I'd think your system won't go above 540W, but that's not really important.

If a PSU supplies less than the rated energy, it generally fails as a PSU and is not fit to put in any computer. You should always go for a PSU with strong 12V rails that aren't likely to spike or drop. Also, having one or two fans really won't make much difference either, aside from being that much louder. It's also worth noting that the power drawn from the wall will usually be 10-30% higher than the rated supply, which is what the whole "80 PLUS Certified" thing is about. My 1kW PSU, for example, is rated 95% efficient, so it only draws 5% excess energy from the wall (if I used it to its max).

If I were you, I'd go for the OCZ PSU. It's modular. And OCZ tend to be good. EDIT: At least, based on the two linked. I like Tagan PSUs, even if they can be slightly more pricey. The 1.2kW PSU in my brother's super-comp has served him well for a long time now (even after upgrading parts).

deethebee

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i bought a different ocz(stealthxstream)(dont care if its not modular) for like 5$ cheaper (were mexican we gotta be cheap) and looked at some reviews and i guess its better then it actually is

"We loved this power supply. Why? Because it has exactly the same design of two other good high-end power supplies, OCZ GameXstream 700 W and Zalman ZM600-HP, but costs a lot less – only USD 85, on average, in the USA. For the average user this is a terrific buy. This unit not only costs less than competing 600 W products, but you will be also bringing home a 735 W power supply!" i got it for 55$ (credits to http://www.hardwaresecrets.com)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
avoid rosewill psu's like he plague
get corsair or pc power and cooling

Originality said:
More modern cases tend to have the PSU on the bottom of the case rather than the top. It's usually more efficient since it takes in less dust that way, doesn't block the path of heat in a case, and corrects a slight weight imbalance that may cause a case to fall over when knocked (it's happened a lot in High School). In any case, your system is unlikely to go above 600W anyway, so the extra 30W won't make the blindest bit of difference. As a rough guess, I'd think your system won't go above 540W, but that's not really important.
its really a matter of personal preference as far as psu position in the case
some cases even have dual psu slots, you can move it to the top or bottom
on the plus of it being on the top. heat rises, the psu pulls this heat out of the case quickly usually with the help of 120mm and 80mm fans
bottom pluses would be everything is neater, wires can be hidden from view
cons: that pesky cpu power plug which requires you to run the cable onto the mobo, some cables being too short run right in the middle of it

as far as weight imbalance... the psu bearly adds anything, it takes a lot of force to tip the case over, it wont just tip over with a little bump unless you have a really cheap cases thats all plastic or something...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The HD5770 or 5850 are both good cards, however the power of a gfx card is proportional to the amount of money you want to spend on it. Every £70 or so extra you put into it, takes it up another large step in the ladder.

HD5970 is the most powerful gfx card in the market for now, but it costs in the region of £500-600 and is likely to be too large for your case to handle (it has 2 GPUs on a single PCB).

deethebee

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
omg i dont need a gfx card that powerful 0.0! im thinking like 80-100$

i wanna be able to play

mw2 maxed

devil may cry 4 maxed

crisis high or ultra

prototype maxed

mirrors edge maxed

street figter iv maxed

lol im not trying to play crises with ultra settings with 50+fps lol

i want a 5000 series card cuz dx11

im thinking 5670 or 5770 which is better for my needs?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
5770 has twice as many cores as 5670 (800 as opposed to 400), but costs around £40 more. The 5970 had 3200 cores
biggrin.gif

But yeah, it's up to you. Do you want to pay a little more for a GFX card twice (theoretically) as powerful?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
deethebee said:
im gonna be playing at 1280x1024 or 900x1400
Even a 9800GT can play your games (they're all console ports but Crysis) at those resolutions great (I know, I have one). So a 5750 or 5770 would do great, probably keep doing great for a long time unless you up your resolution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night