Gaming PSP - RPG choice

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of getting a non FF RPG for my PSP. I am a fan of old school turn based dungeon crawlers but don't mind trying something different.

I was looking at getting one of the Personas or YS Seven or Felghana.

What do you think?

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which Persona do you think would be best? I would normally go straight to 3 and skip the early ones.

Edit: I was a bit slow on typing this in. Looks like it's been answered. Thanks guys.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Persona 3 and 4 are the popular choice because those two are more accessible than the first Persona games. Personally I think the older persona games are really good. I'd say the Persona 2 games has the strongest story in the Persona series.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Which Persona do you think would be best? I would normally go straight to 3 and skip the early ones.
Persona 3 Portable is a more or less a great entry point, it's better paced and has improvements to the battle system but going into the other Personas from P3P might turn you away. Persona 4 has horrible pacing but not as bad as the original Persona 3 and Persona 2 is just different.

Let's just forget about Persona 1.

That being said, Persona 4 is my favourite. I'm working my way through P2 on my Vita now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Depends on your definition of RPG - if all you want is RPG elements then games like The 3rd Birthday and Lord of Arcana will be sufficient to you. What also matters is whether you want a JRPG or a more western-oriented title.

My recommendations are Phantasy Star games, Lord of Arcana (elements of RPG), Diablo (converted from PS1, still holds up), Valkyria Chronicles II (althought that's a Strategy RPG) and Persona 3 Portable.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll try Persona 3. I might get a copy of Valkyria chronicles II as well, it looks interesting.

Edit: I wish I could justify a Vita purchase. I would love playing on the large screen.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Lord of Arcana
oh dear lord, Square's attempt at a MonHun but failed right off the bat. Hopefully the Vita sequel will do it some justice.

If anyone thinks Lord of Arcana looks good, I'd say just forget about RPG sillyness and go for God Eater.
Not that I want to burst your bubble prowler but Lord of Arcana is nothing like Monster Hunter. Sure, you collect pieces of monsters to make better weapons and armor, but the entire battle system is organised in a totally different fashion. I can understand comparing God Eater and Monster Hunter, but not Lord of Arcana and Monster Hunter - the game only draws a few game mechanics from Capcom's game.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lord of Arcana
oh dear lord, Square's attempt at a MonHun but failed right off the bat. Hopefully the Vita sequel will do it some justice.

If anyone thinks Lord of Arcana looks good, I'd say just forget about RPG sillyness and go for God Eater.
Not that I want to burst your bubble prowler but Lord of Arcana is nothing like Monster Hunter. Sure, you collect pieces of monsters to make better weapons and armor, but the entire battle system is organised in a totally different fashion. I can understand comparing God Eater and Monster Hunter, but not Lord of Arcana and Monster Hunter - the game only draws a few game mechanics from the Capcom's game.
That's what he meant though.
It was SE's attempt at breaking into the MonHun audience and "failed" miserably.
It's basically MonHun/God Eater except instead of monsters being on screen and fightable there they use a typical RPG screen wipe to battle zone mechanic.
So in terms of grabbing the same audience it did a poor job just because of that.

On the other hand, if you don't mind it it's not a bad game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It was SE's attempt at breaking into the MonHun audience and "failed" miserably.
It's basically MonHun/God Eater except instead of monsters being on screen and fightable there they use a typical RPG screen wipe to battle zone mechanic.
So in terms of grabbing the same audience it did a poor job just because of that.

This is actually precisely one of the reasons why I enjoyed the game so much. It was a cross between random encounters and normal on-screen enemies - you could avoid clusters of enemies you weren't particularily interested in hunting but at the end of the day you never knew what's in the cluster until you choose to attack it. It was a relatively interesting approach.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

This is actually precisely one of the reasons why I enjoyed the game so much. It was a cross between random encounters and normal on-screen enemies - you could avoid clusters of enemies you weren't particularily interested in hunting but at the end of the day you never knew what's in the cluster until you choose to attack it. It was a relatively interesting approach.
Yup yup, if you look at is as an RPG with Monster Hunter elements it comes off a lot better than a Monster Hunter type game with RPG battle mechanics.
It just depends on how you're looking in on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended