1. frolic

OP frolic Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Friend is trading me a psp-1000 for my old ps2 that i never use anymore over the weekend. Been looking into modding a psp for years and playing ps1 games etc on it and just having a lot of emulators and whatnot as well.

I just looked into ps vita and saw that it can be modded whenever now. Anyone with experience with both able to give me an accurate opinion of which is more worth to invest in for the things I'll be using it for? I just want the emulators and ps1 games to run smoothly with no problems.

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. dixeflatline

dixeflatline Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have a PSP-1000, never tried any PS1 games on it. I also have a PSP-TV as well, which is pretty much a PSVita which does play PS1 games very well. If needed I can dust off my old PSP and test some PS1 games for you and see how it preforms. I have seen posts from awhile ago that it does play PS1 games but not 100% if playable at full speed.

3. frolic

OP frolic Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    would love that! lmk

4. Bobberson01

Bobberson01 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    It really comes down to how much functionality you want.

Do you want to have basically a plug-and-play experience? Get a PSP. Anything that could be modded with it has been made, so there's really no barriers. Emulators are pretty good, though you won't get full-speed in some systems like SNES or GBA- but you'll also have the chance to try out N64 emulation, which is pretty cool.

However, keep in mind that the PSP-1000 has half the ram that later models have, so you'll see even less homebrew performance from that. If you're not too worried about that and just really want those PS1 games, Grab yourself an SD card adapter for storage, slap a ton of games into it, and you're off to the races (Following a guide for CFW, of course). Get used to having only one stick for those DualShock PS1 titles, though.

Now, if you want to maximize your experience of PSP homebrew... you might actually consider getting a Vita. Not sure if you're aware, but the PS Vita actually comes with native PSP backwards compatibility- to the point that, through modding, you can even get PSP homebrew running on it, and it runs BETTER than on a regular PSP. Plus, you can play PSP titles with cool upscaling filters, if you're into that. This functionality is only unlocked with CFW, however, and Sony's still releasing updates that may break the hacks, so be sure you're dilligent NOT to update your Vita, or else you'll have to wait for those hacks to be updated. That, and you'd have to source a Vita, which might be difficult nowadays.

All-in-all, if you just want to get playing now, go for the PSP, and if you think it could be better, down the line try and grab yourself a Vita or a PSTV. Either way, you're set.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. Fusion

Fusion On/Off GBA-Temp'er

You already have a PS2, if you want to play PS1 games you could always just mod the PS2 to play the collection of both Playstation titles on their, unless you want the portability?

Bobberson01 likes this.
  6. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    I've had a modded PSP-1000 for quite a while and I've played both homebrew, ps1 and psp games. I'll say that lacking a proper analog stick becomes noticeable after a while, but my biggest gripe is the lcd screen which has an insane amount of ghosting/blur when stuff moves. The ps1 games run perfectly in my opinion, but of course there's gonna be games that don't work but those should be down to only a few. I really want to get a ps vita for that 2 player ps1 stuff and better joysticks.

alexander1970 and Bobberson01 like this.
  7. perfectchaos

perfectchaos Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I'd recommend getting a PS Vita and going the sd2vita route to expand the storage. You'll get broader compatibility, stronger performance and dual analogs.

I've turned my Vita into something of a Playstation Switch; with sd2vita, a plugin to stream to the tv via usb/my laptop and another plugin to use a dualshock 4 controller it's been awesome being able to go from portable to slotting the cable and playing on my television on the fly!

usernamecharlie likes this.
  8. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Are the Dual Analogs supported for PS1 games like Ape Escape?

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Seconded, got a Vita recently, modded with SD2Vita, Adrenaline, etc, it's awesome :P

10. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Go for a Vita.
    PSP emu on it might get better once we get someone to implement 2x res.

11. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Note that the vita has a lower compatibility with PSX games via adrenaline than the PSP.

This is due to the PSP being able to utilise popsloader with various different versions of the psx emulator whereas the ps vita can not and is therefore stuck to the 6.61 pops

Bobberson01 likes this.
  12. bbking67

bbking67 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The PSP is still a great little machine with a low price point. The 1000 has the worst screen its true, but it's tolerable for most people. Of course the Vita is great (and backwards compatible) but considerably more expensive.

On the PSP you can get SD memory adapters which make storage super cheap (also possibly on vita as well), so you want to do this.

If you are into emulation, there are great emulators on the PSP but on the Vita you have retroarch that runs very well. On PSP your emulation choices are limited to SNES, Genesis, etc. But with most PS1 games working natively with Sony's emulator you have that too.

13. perfectchaos

perfectchaos Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Not trying to come across as rude, but that's sort of inaccurate; Adrenaline doesn't have full compatibility, but Retroarch covers for PS1 what Adrenaline won't.

Case in point, Adrenaline can't play Dragon Valor due to a glitch where an item is supposed to spawn, a fire tome, during the tutorial but instead an invisible item spawns that freezes the game.

So instead I'm playing it on my vita using Retroarch with no issues. Already well past the point that froze, same for Shadow Madness. That freezes in the opening on Adrenaline but plays just fine on Retroarch.

Zense likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - psvita,