psp ds

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by floobmonsrake, Sep 22, 2009.

Sep 22, 2009

psp ds by floobmonsrake at 1:26 AM (2,918 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. floobmonsrake
    OP

Newcomer floobmonsrake Advanced Member

United States
    What do you guys think is better, a ds with a flashcart, or a psp ? I know this is mostly a nds focused forum, so i am assuming the answers will be a bit bias. but i am sure some of you own psp's so could just share your opinion?

sorry if this question is noobish or anything.

EDIT! if this is in the wring section could a moderator move this thread to an appropriate section

2. iceache

Member iceache GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    a PSP that what?

3. WiiThoko

Member WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Shouldn't this be in General Console Disscusion?
    Anyway, I personally like the DS because of the good games. There might be a ton of shovelware, but there are way more great games on the DS than the PSP. (IMO)

4. edracon

Newcomer edracon Advanced Member

United States
    I don't understand the question at all.... what are you asking?

5. floobmonsrake
    OP

United States
    i am asking if you think the sony psp is better than a nintendo ds with a flash card such as cyclo acekard etc.

6. Sigfried666

Newcomer Sigfried666 Member

Brazil
    It's hard to answer when we can't understand the question.
    "...or PSP that?"
    a psp that what? explain youself clearly and we can answer you.

Anyway, I ow a DS and a PSP. DS has tons of shovelware, but also tons of good/great games.
    PSP has few releases. Less shovelware, sure, but less titles overall.

7. shinnyuuya

Member shinnyuuya GBAtemp Fan

Indonesia
    PSP has a better graphics than DS, but I choose DS better because it has more playable game than just press a button.

8. floobmonsrake
    OP

United States
    sorry if i was confusing with my post was trying to type to fast. I edited my post to make it more clear please tell me if there is anything still unclear.

9. JesseB

Member JesseB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have owned both in the past and currently have a DS Lite with an R4 so I can offer my opinion. It all depends on what you're looking to get out of it.

# of games available:

Since the DS is backwards compatible, any gameboy game ever made will run on it. This gives the DS the advantage in terms of games to choose from, since you basically have four systems (original gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, and DS) worth of games to choose from.

Graphics:

In this area the PSP wins hands down. PSP graphics are true 3D and are on par with PS2. DS graphics are fine when it comes to 2D, but when it comes to 3D, most games look about as good as the original Quake.

Functionality:

Wi-fi. Yes, both.

Media playback. Yes, PSP out of box, DS with flashcart and 3rd party programs.

Web surfing. PSP yes, DS no.

Custom firmware:

The DS comes out ahead in this area. While custom firmware enhances the abilities of both consoles, putting custom firmware on the PSP is semi-difficult and could cause a bricked unit if not done properly. Custom firmware on the DS comes in the form of flash carts. So putting custom firmware on the DS is literally as easy as putting a cartridge in.

There are several other factors to consider such as size, weight, battery life, and game cost. In my experience, I have found all of these to be negligable.

Again this is just my opinion so feel to disagree. I just hope I was able to help.

10. geminisama

Member geminisama Metsu

United States
    No it's not, it's only compatible with GBA games if you have the Phat or Lite. It only supports GB and GBC via emulator.

As for the question, I'd much rather have a DS+Flashcart than a modded PSP, because the DS has a much better game library.

11. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    Even though the PSP has powerful graphics, the battery cant support the graphics.

Most people hated the DSi because of the reduced battery but they dont know that the PSP has that desease since the beginning.

Why would you buy a PSP when it'll be obsolete in just 11 months? There's a PSP 4000 coming next year and it's not the PSP N1000 (PSPgo)

The PSP has a lot of changes and is still going so if I were you, just pick your choice - a stable PSP or a device with more battery and more games *couchshovelware*

I got a PSP since I broke my uncle's PSP2006 TA-088v3 and Im not happy with it as it only serves as a photo frame and a video player in addition to my collection of 3 Nintendo DS. It has no appealing games to me. Repeatetive games like Dissidia Final Fantasy which I can see it as an advanced Tekken game, no offense.

But I do like about the PSP is the backward compatibility of PSx games though there are a few bugs like the Dance Dance Revolution where the buttons dont responsed in time.

There are a few interesting games but simple once like Hatsune Miku: Project Diva. It's a modern DDR.

You can relieve some memories by playing older games into this era like MegaMan and Megaman X.

It's your choice really. But if I were you, I'll buy a DS today and see if you can timed a PSP later. In my case, I got a hacked PSP200x and will never look at another PSP agaiin.

12. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    unless someone can make a custom firmware for 6.0 or future firmware
    otherwise, piracy for PSP is doomed!

13. bmaster154

Newcomer bmaster154 Advanced Member

Canada
    I have both, but I prefer my ds. I got it for a longer time, and, eh, my psp only had one game I like and it's FF7, so yeah. It's nice as a portable video/music player since I don't have an ipod (and never did), but I prefer playing games on ds. And believe it or not, but my grandmother got a ds before me [​IMG]

14. JesseB

Member JesseB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks Gem. I've never tried to run a GB or GBC cart on my DS so I didn't know. It would make sense though.

15. ragingchaosgod

Member ragingchaosgod JUBILEUS QAAL OVOF VOMSARG

Philippines
    Depends on your choice of games, I suppose... Heck, that's what I always tell people who ask me what's better.

16. mayfly

Newcomer mayfly Member

United States
    Indeed all depends on what games you want to play. I have both and I play the NDS mostly. My PSP is full of more PSx converted games than PSP ones.

17. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I still own a PSP, and I can say most of the games for it suck. Just ports, ports, and hurr, ports.

I mainly use it for emulators (Nintendo emus, at that! [​IMG]) nowadays. I play my DS a LOT more compared to my PSP.

Buy a DS, then if you have some spare money, get a PSP. Just for novelty though. Almost all my friends sold their PSP for a DS [​IMG]

Now that I think of, I could've gotten a GP2x [​IMG]

18. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I have both and wouldn't be without either. The emulation potential of a CFW PSP is amazing, plus it has a range of great games of it's own. The DS just has a fantastic game library.

If you just want to do the minimum work possible get a DS. Personally i'd suggest you see if you can find one of each cheaply.

19. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    psp is good in games but there are so few good ones

and ds is also nice.

anyway having them both is the best [​IMG]

20. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I use both,I use PSP 3000 with HEN hack and a DSi with Acekard 2i. I use my PSP mainly to use home brew and emulators,I like to play N64 on the PSP laggy,but its to nostalgic to go without ^^ I can also use ISO on the PSP 3000 but I rarely do because there ain't that many good games in my opinion,besides Monster Hunter lol. Anyways I cant do without both,I need games emu and home brew. [​IMG]