OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Two weeks ago, there was no problem with my PSP2000 (6.20 PRO). However, when I tried to turn it on yesterday, it couldn't get started. There was nothing on the screen and no green light.

Initially, I thought that the battery was empty. Hence, I left it charging overnight. The amber light turned on when charging. Nevertheless, today, it still failed to start up. Once again, there is nothing on the screen and no green light. I've tried the following measures but all to no avail:

- Removing the battery and putting it in 10 minutes later
- Removing the battery and connecting the PSP to the AC alone. In this case, the amber light doesn't even show up. The battery must be inside the PSP in order for the amber light to show up.
- Flicking the power switch multiple times
- Holding up the power switch for 10seconds and then flick the power switch up
- Pressing the R button while flicking the power switch

I'm really stumped about this sudden breakdown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First things first....

Remove the battery and insert charger.... Does the PSP boot up in this sequence?

If the answer is yes then your battery is at fault... Be it a cheap knock-off or it was accidentally turned into a Pandora...

saaye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Nope. I haven't opened it up. I haven't messed around with hardware before, hence my reservations. The power switch doesn't appear to be loose though.

Would you recommend that a newbie open up their PSP? Is a loose switch easily repairable? I'm scared of spoiling my PSP even further. >

realveemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all had to start somewhere....

If your really nervous then watch several videos on youtube... See how they do it and follow step by step....

Remember to watch them do it on the same model psp as your own... less can go wrong

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
saaye said:
Nope. I haven't opened it up. I haven't messed around with hardware before, hence my reservations. The power switch doesn't appear to be loose though.

Would you recommend that a newbie open up their PSP? Is a loose switch easily repairable? I'm scared of spoiling my PSP even further. >

saaye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Many thanks for the reassurance and the useful disassembly guide! Will go and buy a toolkit this weekend so I can take the PSP apart.

This is probably a stupid question but after I disassemble the PSP, what am I supposed to look for for? To put it in another way, how do I know that the problem is a loose switch? Is it supposed to look broken or something?

Also, assuming that the problem lies with a loose switch, how exactly do I cure this issue? Do I simply shove the switch in tighter? Or do I have to solder parts on?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I think the PSP has some fuses on board. Right now, I'm in the same situation! My psp won't neither charge (orange light) or turn on (green light). It happened suddenly too..

You might want to check this. As for me, I'll do it today.

saaye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Thanks for the guide! But oh, my situation is slightly different. My PSP apparently can charge but it can't be turned on.

Hopefully, both of us will get our PSPs back in working condition!

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
saaye said:
- Removing the battery and connecting the PSP to the AC alone. In this case, the amber light doesn't even show up. The battery must be inside the PSP in order for the amber light to show up.

Did the orange light turn on after you did this?

Maybe you caused an electrical short by doing that. :/

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
saaye said:
Thanks for the guide! But oh, my situation is slightly different. My PSP apparently can charge but it can't be turned on.

Hopefully, both of us will get our PSPs back in working condition!

there's a fuse for the PSP screen backlight, also a fuse for USB energy & functions, and also, (perhaps my main worry) a fuse for the PSP mainboard feed power (from battery, from wall charge, etc) and without this 3rd one the PSP won't turn any lights on.

Check the last fuse at the guide posted before.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
After removing the faceplate you will notice some sort of black button bottom right that is surrounded by a plastic that connects to the on/off switch. Then compare the way that plastic surrounding it from the pic to the one in your psp.
If you notice that yours is out of place then just carefully put it in its right place.
If you cant really see a difference then try carefully putting the ac adapter or battery & give the black button a little push up.
If your psp opens that means its a loose on/off switch and just try to put in place so that when you move the switch from the side the black button move with it.If not then your problem isn't a loose switch & might be something more serious like a blown fuse or something similar.

saaye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
> MegaAce
Nope, the orange light didn't turn on at all when the PSP was connected to AC alone and without the battery. The orange light only shows up when the battery is inside and the PSP is connected to the AC. This means that I didn't short-circuit the PSP...? I hope? Ahaha.

> Coto
Thanks for the tip! I'll bear that in mind when trying to diagnose the root of the problem.

> The_Dragons_Master_F
Many thanks for your advice! Hopefully, I'll be able to assess the problem accurately.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before cracking it open I highly suggest trying another AC charger. Going inside should be the absolute last thing done to troubleshoot.

saaye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I managed to borrow a friend's PSP and have verified that there is nothing wrong with my AC Charger or battery.

I've opened up my PSP. I'm not sure which is the black button that The_Dragons_Master_F spoke of. But I think it is this one?

Anyhow, I had the battery in and charger on but when I pressed that black button and/or tried to nudge it around, the PSP still doesn't start up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

saaye

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Hey cracker, thanks for the confirmation! Although, I probably can't buy a new switch...I don't live in the US and I don't know of any game shops near me that sell replacement switches at prices like those on Ebay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2