PSN PSone Classics vs. Converted PS1 Titles

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Nemix77, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Is there any difference in loading times and performance between PSN PSone Classics vs. Converted PS1 titles on the PSP?

2. Atlas_Noire

Atlas_Noire Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2015
    In a technical aspect, no they're just the same in terms of loading times and performance (well almost in performance:unsure: ). The only known difference I know so far is that most PSOne eboots officially converted by PSN are almost bug free and stable. Some PSOne eboots converted by users has some minor to major bugs, but that completely depends on the condition of the gamerip. The only point to remember though, is that not all PSOne classics can be converted to be played in the PSP.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fiddling around with POPS Loader to select which version of POPS should boot the image tends to fix most bugs, at least in my experience. The compatibility is very high since the system is virtualized for the most part. :D

4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    as of now yes, but I remember Chrono Cross being a real pain in the ass before the official PSClassics release.
    But as said, now the compatibility is 99% and all the games I tried on my PSPgo have worked without any issue, the PSPgo built-it POPS is apparently the most stable of all and never had to mess with older versions of POPS as I did with a borrowed PSP 3000(well that was like 3 years ago anyway). I have a converted version of DooM PSX on my PSPgo and slaughter demons like there is no tomorrow without problem, same with Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden Memories.

EDIT: almost forgot. I recommend getting the official versions of games already available as PSClassics, no point in rebuilding the wheel if you know said version is bug-free.

5. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    here is another difference. You cannot hear CDDA audio in POPS versions after 4.01. that is for converted titles.

PSN classics have always working CDDA audio.

NicoBlogs and Kippykip like this.
  6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Use POPS Loader and pick an earlier POPS version. ;) It's really simple and solves 99% of all POPS-related problems.

Kippykip likes this.
  7. reprep

Jul 5, 2012
    popsloader is buggy with PSP GO and PSP 3000. especially in psp go.

NicoBlogs likes this.
  8. FailName

FailName ░▒▓█▓▒░

Sep 26, 2011
    United States
    Except, as he just said, picking a lower version of POPS on a go removes the audio.
    Personally I prefer to use the PSN versions whenever possible, as it becomes easier to do things like remapping buttons and memory card management in higher POPS versions. They also come with higher quality manuals and introduce no bugs (that I'm aware of).

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Naturally the PSOne distros are better than home-made ones, there's no question about that and no reason to re-invent the wheel. My point was, if the game wasn't distributed, POPS is a great alternative. ;)

Nemix77 likes this.
  10. Hargrun

Hargrun Support the arts! (The games, silly.)

May 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    When you say "bug free", means that games whose versions for PSOne contained ridiculous bugs (that almost always ended in freeze) have been fixed or is just about the emulation?

11. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks for the reply guys...lots of really helpful information posted, I'll just stick with PSN PSone Classics from now on.

I think he's taking about built-in POPS emulation bugs.

On the topic:

Are there any differences between PSN PSP Games vs. UMD Dumped PSP titles?

Hargrun likes this.
  12. Hargrun

Hargrun Support the arts! (The games, silly.)

May 22, 2014
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    Ah, I see... No big deal then.

Yes, but these are so small that conversion patches can be found easily.

13. reprep

Jul 5, 2012