PSM Exploit predictions/possibilities?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Ralph1611, May 31, 2015.

1. Ralph1611
    OP

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    With this new exploit coming, I was just thinking about all the possibilities. What might be in store for us?
    Im guessing it will be able to unlock alot more power to run N64 games better. That would be awesome by itself....

But what about PS2, Saturn, and Dreamcast stuff? Would Vitas full power be able to handle such stuff?

2. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I have not gotten my key yet so I can't really say -__-

3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I imagine it'll have a way to break out of the sandbox so we can access things native Vita games can. As for N64, PS2, etc., I think it will come down to if we can run dynamic code or not, i.e. JIT/dynarec. If the Vita's hardware and operating system have DEP/NX/execution prevention (whatever you want to call it) like the 3DS does (on the 3DS it can be bypassed now, but until recently, it wasn't possible), I wouldn't expect many attempts at seeing much past GBA.

Now if that proves not to be an issue, where we can run dynarecs and such freely, I could see the Vita maybe doing Dreamcast alright; it seems to be a relatively "light" system to deal with compared to PS2. But PS2/Saturn? I highly doubt games would run at decent speeds due to its/their complexity. On a side note, I doubt it would have much point, given that the Vita already emulates the PSP, but I bet PPSSPP would run quite well too (the ARM JIT is pretty good).

Last edited by daxtsu, May 31, 2015
  4. garrlker

garrlker Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2014
    United States
    The PSP and Vita are complete different system architectures and until there is an official-unofficial SDK for the Vita there won't be any homebrew/emulators.
    It's why Yifanlu made that post with all of the documents on the elf format and how Vita binaries are signed etc. As far as I can tell, he wants this to be the Vita's NinjHax(although don't assume it will be as succesful as the 3DS, we don't know anything yet:( )

As far as emulation goes:

I'd say PS2 would run extremely slow if it ran at all, same for GC/Wii.
    I think 3DS emulation would be the newest console emulation possible that could be playable.
    The 3DS and Vita have the same CPU architecture which will make emulation so much quicker(could natively run some of the code) and Vita has most of the Controls for the 3DS.
    It could run very well, or could end up being the equivalent of the psp's DaedalusX64 for Vita.

What would hold these up most of all would be developer interest, there are a lot of people who would love to have these systems on their Vita, but all of these emulators would have to be re-written for the Vita(or atleast most of them would) and I don't know if anyone would want to considering once all that work is done they don't run well.

Oh, and N64/PSX and older are definitely possible.

Also, here is the current progress on the vita toolchain.

Edit: Sorry, yeah Dreamcast is definitely possible, and it would most likely be playable(50+fps).

5. Ralph1611
    OP

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    thanks for the insight.

6. CleanSweep

CleanSweep Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 24, 2014
    United States
    Central Florida
    The Vita's native PSP and PS1 emulators seem to be pretty limited in terms of feature sets, so installing PPSSPP and Retroarch would be an improvement, since you could at least upscale everything to 720p natively with good texture filtering, instead of the goofy filtering options the built-in emulators have.

Plus you'd get native cheat support and the like, which is definitely an improvement.

That said, I just hope this is something PS TV owners can actually use, since you can't actually do the "run a demo" thing if you don't have a spare Vita on hand to transfer the memory card & app to.