Hacking Discussion PSA: Used Switch's from Gamestop

n0where

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm a long time lurker who recently purchased a used switch from Gamestop*I had a launch system but my wife forbid me to mod it). It had 2018 written on the box and the serial number shows that it was not patched, but I kinda wondered if it was patched by Gamestop via Nintendo.

It came with the most recent firmware 8.1.0 so it made me wonder. I tried damn near everything to get into rcm mode, paperclips, screwdrivers. I bought a jig and that didn't work either and my atmosphere isn't coming until August 5th. So pretty frustrated I checked the list of ways to do it and saw one I hadn't tried. The tinfoil method worked like a charm. I had auto inject checked off in TegraSmash and away it went. So now you know if you get a used switch from Gamestop it is not patched provided the serial numbers match the list.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the biggest thing to worry about when buying a used Switch from GameStop is whether or not it has been banned.

And of course now there's no quick way of telling for sure without spending the time to link a Nintendo ID and pay for a subscription.

I'd stay away from used Switches, specifically if you care about online play.

Reactions: x65943

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think the biggest thing to worry about when buying a used Switch from GameStop is whether or not it has been banned.

And of course now there's no quick way of telling for sure without spending the time to link a Nintendo ID and pay for a subscription.

IIRC bans these days also block eShop, so that would be one easy way to tell.
Hi I'm a long time lurker who recently purchased a used switch from Gamestop*I had a launch system but my wife forbid me to mod it). It had 2018 written on the box and the serial number shows that it was not patched, but I kinda wondered if it was patched by Gamestop via Nintendo.

It came with the most recent firmware 8.1.0 so it made me wonder. I tried damn near everything to get into rcm mode, paperclips, screwdrivers. I bought a jig and that didn't work either and my atmosphere isn't coming until August 5th. So pretty frustrated I checked the list of ways to do it and saw one I hadn't tried. The tinfoil method worked like a charm. I had auto inject checked off in TegraSmash and away it went. So now you know if you get a used switch from Gamestop it is not patched provided the serial numbers match the list.
The tin foil method is dangerous, it's too easy to bridge the power pin with something else and possibly damaging something. I hope you're at least using AutoRCM so you don't have to resort to that every time.
Also, your jig probably just needs the pins adjusted, they should stick out a fair bit at the bend, and be perfectly aligned with pins 1 and 10 or 7 and 10 when almost fully inserted and shining a flashlight down the rail. You should be able to tell by doing that if they are sticking out far enough as well.
Jigs should be pre adjusted before shipping, but when you buy 3D printed jigs, there's no guarantee the pins won't get bent in shipping. Better to buy a properly manufactured jig such as the RCMLoader jig for about 2 bucks (one also comes with the RCMLoader One dongle which is what I use and it works great for about $11, highly recommended) that uses custom made pins rather than just bent wire or a paperclip.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Better to buy a properly manufactured jig such as the RCMLoader jig for about 2 bucks (one also comes with the RCMLoader One dongle which is what I use and it works great for about $11, highly recommended) that uses custom made pins rather than just bent wire or a paperclip.

I still needed to adjust the jig that came with my RCMLoader. I just had to use a small needle to pry up the pins a little bit though. I'll agree that it's a very nice high quality jig.

WaRp211

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Makes no sense to hack your switch if you care about online. just have 2

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I still needed to adjust the jig that came with my RCMLoader. I just had to use a small needle to pry up the pins a little bit though. I'll agree that it's a very nice high quality jig.
Being factory manufactured I would assume they are all made to the same dimensions so it's possible the pins in your Switch are just slightly bent in from use causing it not to make good contact.

The RCMLoader iig works perfect for me but I also have a 3D printed one that feels much more loose in the rail and for it to work I need to actually be pressing it down into the slot as I hold Power+Vol, I can't just slot it in like I can with the RCMLoader jig. It wasn't tested before shipping though as the guy was 3D printing a lot of them and giving them away to tempers (just pay shipping) so it just needs some adjustment. 3D printed jigs are always gonna be less reliable though since the wire/paperclip is made of pliable metal.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Makes no sense to hack your switch if you care about online. just have 2
N00b. Now that Atmosphere has released their open source emuNand it's quite trivial to set up a dirty emunand / clean sysnand and enjoy hacks while safely retaining the ability to play legit games online. There's no need to buy a second console.

Being factory manufactured I would assume they are all made to the same dimensions so it's possible the pins in your Switch are just slightly bent in from use causing it not to make good contact.
In this case I was able to see pretty easily that it was a problem with the jig. One of the jig's pins was bent further out than the other. All it took was bending the pin to match the other one and it worked perfect.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
N00b. Now that Atmosphere has released their open source emuNand it's quite trivial to set up a dirty emunand / clean sysnand and enjoy hacks while safely retaining the ability to play legit games online. There's no need to buy a second console.

In this case I was able to see pretty easily that it was a problem with the jig. One of the jig's pins was bent further out than the other. All it took was bending the pin to match the other one and it worked perfect.
I guess it got snagged or pinched in manufacturing. That hopefully shouldn't be too common.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That sick boy yo