PSA: Brickers Abound

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You're most welcome. You guys do your thing and we'll do ours. :)

2. grunt22fox

grunt22fox Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2018
    United States
    Thank you for your understanding and handling of the situation. You've saved us all a lot of pain.

3. Artuto

Artuto Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2017
    Mexico
    While I agree this is an asshole move to create a program to brick and screw NANDs and installations; we should not give (more) attention to him because thats just going to make him "stronger".

Redacting the names is just useless because you can just search the text in GitHub and the repo and the author will appear.

Please unpin this, just panickes users that are browsing normally in GBATemp and out of the blue they see a post without major information about someone who is distributing a bricker, if they are smart enough they will not run homebrew from untrusted sources, but others will definitely fall.

4. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The text has been removed for that reason, I haven't considered that originally. Sweeping the problem under the carpet is like being ill and not going to the hospital because "that's where people go to die" - if there is a potential outbreak coming soon, courtesy of a troll with too much time on his hands, it's better to be informed.

5. 98otiss

98otiss uwu

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    Metaverse
    this is why i don't download from this site's download center, nothing bad about the center but i just like to be safe and download from the official sources.

6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Just to be assholes it seems.

7. RivenMain

RivenMain GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2016
    United States
    I'm not overly against the practices of malware. It's kinda the opposite approach to instead of allowing people to beg for hacks and piracy they'd rather let them know they are a threat. My only issue is the threat on the site. More frankly the amount of control they have to ddos.

8. gemsticks

gemsticks Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2018
    United States
    Damn, right when I was going to try to learn to make a basic homebrew app for the wii

9. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    *Laughs in Wii U*

10. Lorderpy

Lorderpy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2018
    Israel
    Israel
    It's a perfect time to do so!
    Don't let the possibilty of malware demotivate you, we had those on PCs for years :D

gemsticks and Foxi4 like this.
  11. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    Yet another reason to have your eyes open all the time and not run random shit with no source.

12. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    I'm wondering if running the Wii in Emunand would save the sysnand from brick?

13. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    Ah shit, here we go again
    I bet [DATA EXPUNGED] is getting a kick out of this lol.
    In other news, I'm interviewing the creator of these brickers on Discord. He's even admitted that a driving factor in doing this was attention!

14. james50a

james50a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    Let be honest it's probably Nintendo uploading this crap, or paying someone to. No one profits in random bricks except them by scaring others

15. sks316

sks316 Professional Shitposter (also I help sometimes)

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Windows XP background
    Why would Nintendo be uploading Wii brickers to a random internet gaming forum? Don't forget that they've stopped officially-supporting the console...

16. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    lolwut. This is a bit more serious threat than the DS brickers though, because those only worked on the first models (DS Lite requires you to short a connection in order to enable writing)
    Once he gets his brickers floating around, they'll always be a threat because the Wiis can't be patched and there's no "anti-virus" for it.

Keeping quiet about it won't help anyone at all. The first post should explain exactly whats happening, what are the dangers and maybe ridicule the guy a little.

BLsquared likes this.
  17. CrisFTW

CrisFTW GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I know what you're saying but really people need to setup emunand for anything they use that is unknown for the Switch and anything Nintendo related. Didn't think it would go this far where even on the piracy side , people ask about a popular game is safe to install and making pointless threads of one single game's md5 to avoid a brick. Now I'm definitely gonna see more questions about "random homebrew app safe to use?". At least I know the situation now thanks to you. We should all always be careful what we download and install

18. Lorderpy

Lorderpy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2018
    Israel
    Israel
    Technically there is an "anti-virus" for it,
    Anyone with a wii early enough to be capable of bootmii instaled on boot2 is pretty much immune to this.

sks316 likes this.
  19. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh, everyone should run EmuNAND or any other redirected firmware method on their devices, I was replying to the latter part of the post. There is so much more to homebrew than just installing backups.

CrisFTW and banjo2 like this.
  20. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    How to check if downloaded programs are legit except than downloading from trusted sources?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted