Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Isn’t what we pay for PS plus or Xbox live enough to feed those pigs? Many people have been mentioning inflation compared to 20+ years ago. But back then we didn’t have neither DLCs/microtransactions nor network service charges so I believe now they’re making much more money then they used to!
Uh... No? Who do you think gets the money from the subscription? Also, cost to develop is significantly higher nowadays than it was 20 years ago, too. Inflation isn't just for sale price.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously it's gonna be a different situation for each different region, but with physical discs the pricing has barely changed. Demon's Souls and Miles Morales were like $40 within a couple months of release, and Returnal is already down to about $50 as well. I feel like Sony is aware of this trend, so setting the MSRP higher is more about getting $35 from patient gamers instead of $30. I'm not sure any amount of lost sales on launch in specific will be enough to convince them to drop the price back down.
Exactly, although I was thinking it was also about the extra squeeze on preorders and purchases on or near release. This might even cause the prices to plummet to an evening out point even quicker than usual. It's still consistently cheaper to buy physical for the most part with a patient purchasing strategy. The same can go for digital, but then you're usually waiting more often on narrow and intermittent sales instead of permanent price drops and sales on physical. I'm notoriously cheap...

Last edited by Glyptofane,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly, although I was thinking it was also about the extra squeeze on preorders and purchases on or near release. This might even cause the prices to plummet to an evening out point even quicker than usual. It's still consistently cheaper to buy physical for the most part with a patient purchasing strategy. The same can go for digital, but then you're usually waiting more often on narrow and intermittent sales instead of permanent price drops and sales on physical. I'm notoriously cheap...

You don't even need to be that patient at times, got my copy days after launch with a controller (which I needed) for £100, so £50 each not including a work discount.

I've seen it for £55 on it's own and weeks ago for around £60.

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Just be aware that you're technically renting the games and you will probably lose the ability to download them in the future when PSN for the PS5 is taken offline by Sony. You should also realize if you break the TOS for PSN you could get banned and that also means you lose every single game you've been renting. Renting? Yes, read the TOS. You're simply paying to access the games. You don't own them.

Sadly, it is very likely that the built-into-the-motherboard SSD will die well before Sony deactivates the servers. PS3 servers are still alive. With only 685GB internal memory, I suspect internal memory will start failing not long after the 10-year mark. Hopefully by then we'll have discovered ways to bypass it, or Sony will have done the wise thing -- to allow the other port to completely replace intermal memory if it ceases to work.

But this is Sony. They almost tried to kill PS3 this summer before delaying its eventual demise after backlash. I really doubt they have the gamers' best interests in mind when they make corporate decisions. We also saw this with PS3 and the demise of Other OS. It is so sad that they actually have the best game libraries (maybe other than Nintendo, but that's for first and second party only) historically. You kind of have to have a Playstation every gen, but every gen they make this decision less and less palatable.

I got a PS5, but I do have fears about its longevity as a system. I am afraid that Sony won't handle this well at all and won't help their early customers when their launch PS5 units start to fail.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old post but you can't boycott them for increasing the price. PS5 are currently sold out and you still have the option of buying the games second hand.

Or just do what I'm going to do just wait a few years and you can get everything for cheap. Game inflation isn't going anywhere.

Look at Nintendo they still selling Mario Kart 8 for $60 and that is their top 10 best selling games. Hate to say but $$$ talks

PS2 era games was $50... PS3 era the games went up to $60 and the people complained but they accepted so the same thing will happen with the PS5

But I NEVER would buy a game for full price unless it is worth it. The only games I buy for $50 are switch games because some games are hard to find in the store and scalpers will try to charge you double the price.

Last edited by Goku1992A,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You just need the willpower to overcome FOMO and then you can wait and get everything cheap. This is also why I always advise physical over digital as you are not at anyone's mercy when it comes to price drops.

Reactions: peteruk

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As we all see, Sony increased the prices PS5 games to $69.99. Im sure there are people who can afford it and have no problem paying this price but for others, including myself, it’s a lot. I thought if we all cooperate to boycott those high prices, I’m sure will push Sony and others to drop them back to $59.99. The issue here isn’t the MSRP, It’s the packages and in game purchases! Back then we only had to worry about buying a game for $49.99 to $59.99 but now, we have add-ons and in game purchases. I already started boycotting hight prices. I waited for demon’s souls to drop to $60 to buy it and I hope many others did the same.

Hmm... Hey guys, how much is a PS5? or even PS4 for that matter. But then, maybe I won't, after seeing people having trouble buying games for them.

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean yeah there pricey but there also worth it I mean £70 a game and it has to be increased because of how much it actually costs to make a PS5 Game it's pretty expensive compared to last gen got to think about staff costs, Musicians, voice actors etc... And most games these days are using actors from films etc... And that alone is very expensive

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First off this whole "Boycott xyz" doesnt work. Rarely ever did. Also mostly i think the prices are fair. Look at what games we get today. Graphics and Technics wise. Not story wise so much sadly but Story is something thats cheap. You pay about the same for a lame story as for a good one. But you pay incredible sums for good coders and Animateurs and 3d Moddelers and so on. Its not the same as in the Past where you only had 2 guys pixelworking the whole game while a third one wrote most of the code. I mean some of the microtransactions are outrageous, but most of them are optional so if you dont want em dont buy em. Of course there are always some black sheep but most of the time its pretty fair in my eyes.

On the other side what really strains my nerves is that Digital Games still cost way more then Physical ones. I mean they have every reason to make them cheaper. You cant resell them, potentially robbing them of customers, they do not have to pay anyone in retail or for delivery or even for the material of the discs and the cases and so on. So why not making them cheaper? Either make digital games resellable(fat chance wont happen) or make them about 20-25% cheaper than the physical copies. It really bugs me because i DESPISE changing discs and having a metric ton of Junk layin about. Yeah i get that some like to collect the Physicals, thats fine. but i dont. So i buy every game Digital and pay WAY more that way. Still paying 60 Bucks for a game you can get for about 30 on Amazon or Ebay is hard.

Also i really do not like those subscription things. I swallow the pill and pay for PS+ because of Online play. But PS Now i really dont like. Id rather buy those games and they release an Emulator or if the Console is not powerful enough make this Emulator part of PS+.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1