Gaming PS5 games boycott

reeven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I will only buy exclusives one, but after 1 year or so for every launch. I will not pay 80-90 euro for an game. If Sony think that we loosers pay, they will raise it over and over.
And I'm keeping my 4 pro modded, you know why.

Reactions: iialaq01

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ps2 games were what, $49.99 when it came out in 2000? Adjusted for inflation that's around $77 today.
I think ps3 games were $59.99 at launch in 2006, which adjusted for inflation is $79 today.

So $69.99 is really not that bad. If anything they should have raised the price to $69.99 with the release of the ps4 in 2013.

Reactions: OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ps2 games were what, $49.99 when it came out in 2000? Adjusted for inflation that's around $77 today.
I think ps3 games were $59.99 at launch in 2006, which adjusted for inflation is $79 today.

So $69.99 is really not that bad. If anything they should have raised the price to $69.99 with the release of the ps4 in 2013.
I agree conceptually, but you also have to consider that there are additional monetization avenues that weren't around back in the PS2 days. Season passes, DLC, microtransactions, etc.
I think that $70 for a content-rich brand new AAA game isn't steep. I think it would have been in 2013 but now it's not as bad.

And since I know people will go "well whatabout [crappy cash grab game] that released for $70? Is that worth the money?" and to that I would say no, but it also wouldn't have been worth it at $60 either if it's a crappy cash grab.
Games like 2K Sports and other crap like that are far from being worth $70 but they weren't worth $60 either so I don't see the big deal. If the $70 is a big issue, just wait for a sale, or don't buy it. I didn't think that Super Mario 3D All Stars was worth $60 so I didn't buy it. But there are other Switch games worth $60.

It's the same with PS5 games at the higher price point.

iialaq01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree conceptually, but you also have to consider that there are additional monetization avenues that weren't around back in the PS2 days. Season passes, DLC, microtransactions, etc.
I think that $70 for a content-rich brand new AAA game isn't steep. I think it would have been in 2013 but now it's not as bad.

And since I know people will go "well whatabout [crappy cash grab game] that released for $70? Is that worth the money?" and to that I would say no, but it also wouldn't have been worth it at $60 either if it's a crappy cash grab.
Games like 2K Sports and other crap like that are far from being worth $70 but they weren't worth $60 either so I don't see the big deal. If the $70 is a big issue, just wait for a sale, or don't buy it. I didn't think that Super Mario 3D All Stars was worth $60 so I didn't buy it. But there are other Switch games worth $60.

It's the same with PS5 games at the higher price point.

what bothers me most is pricing cross gen games. For exact same game PS4 price is $60 but PS5 is $70. Does that make sense?! To me NO. But Sony want to do it to set pricing standard for PS5 games. Anyways I’ll just buy games during sales.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If the price of games goes up, I expect to see better games coming out. Less bugs and more polish. I want to see more work put into the game for the price hike, not just them raising the price "just because".

Reactions: Kioku and iialaq01

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
what bothers me most is pricing cross gen games. For exact same game PS4 price is $60 but PS5 is $70. Does that make sense?! To me NO. But Sony want to do it to set pricing standard for PS5 games. Anyways I’ll just buy games during sales.
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what games this has happened to. Off the top of my head I can't think of any, at least in my region.

iialaq01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, in case anyone was unaware, this isn't strictly a PS5 thing, it's a next-gen consoles thing. EA announced Battlefield 2042 will be $70 on PS5 and Xbox Series, but $60 on PC despite being the same version.

Isn’t what we pay for PS plus or Xbox live enough to feed those pigs? Many people have been mentioning inflation compared to 20+ years ago. But back then we didn’t have neither DLCs/microtransactions nor network service charges so I believe now they’re making much more money then they used to!

Reactions: Xzi

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn’t what we pay for PS plus or Xbox live enough to feed those pigs? Many people have been mentioning inflation compared to 20+ years ago. But back then we didn’t have neither DLCs/microtransactions nor network service charges so I believe now they’re making much more money then they used to!
Sure we did. Why do you think developers added cheat codes to games back then and don't bother now? It was because they could contract with gaming magazines to sell them the cheat codes which would in turn help sell magazines. Now they just skip the middle man since cheat codes would get "pirated" too easily with the internet these days.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a more egregious point, digital games cost the same or more than physical games. I can't imagine server costs coming close to what's involved in pressing and distributing discs but here we are.

Last edited by subcon959,

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I doing boycott and not buying ps5.
They lost most of exclusives, increase price of games, drop vita\ps3 shop, no enough ps5, etc...
Why to continuer support them?

D

Deleted User

The term that seems to still be current for this is FOMO, or Fear of Missing Out.

It's always been this way and most Producers expect Consumers to always want the latest, without putting much thought into it.
If they did, they would recognise the benefits of not going through on Impulse Buys and Amazon wouldn't be the Shopping Giant they are in the United States.

From a Design Software perspective, I would never buy anything that is freshly released because, besides being pricey without good reason, they still have few of the Real-World Bugs ironed out. That logic is also the same one I use for Gaming Software.

I know I'm definitely going to be the Minority here, but I actually don't plan to buy anything until the PlayStation 5 Pro is released; by that time the Hardware shortage we're currently going through will be mostly over and all the Games that the Console deserves will have been out long enough to be properly Reviewed, Patched and GOTY-Bundled.

Or Clearance-Bundled; whichever way the wind blows for them.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I bought almost all my Snes games a lot higher, because of import taxes of games never releasing in Europe.
FF6, chrono, Mana, etc. you also had to buy adaptor, or put a chipset which costed money too.

Do you remember NeoGeo game's price ? :huh:

PS:
In europe, PS5 games default price is 79.99€ (or sometime higher, like 99€ or even 100+ with shit like digital artbook and an avatar !!)
Yes, me too I'm not happy to see that price, don't think I like it.

But there are also some cheaper games :) I'm waiting for Kena, Not uglier because cheaper. (maybe shorter? Hey, I'm all for shorter games, I miss free time now)

If you don't want to buy a game full price, wait months before buying, and it'll certainly have sales, or even PS+, or be part of some covid free game to keep forever, you know?
Remember the 18 PS4 games you got part PS+ pack just by buying a PS5? A few I didn't have yet, I'm happy with them.
Look at PSPrices, put alerts and check how cheaper any game ever reached. wait for games to be -50% or -70% if that's the price you expect for a game.

Last edited by Cyan,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Boycott if you wish, but you'll be disappointed when Sony decides not to release a PS5 pro due to the dwindling interest.

On another note, I wonder if they noticed me boycotting their new Bravias.

reeven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania

It's bad because hundred of millions in Europe have even 250$ minimum month paycheck. So 70 euro is huge. All Eastern and Central Europe have maybe 500$ medium paycheck after taxes. Adding to this anything that you buy VAT 9-25%....99% of Sony PS base is poor people.

Last edited by reeven,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1