PS4 seems dead after sleep mode, please help

NSp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Just bought a long desired PS4 (Pro 72xx, 9.00 FW), have installed GoldHEN 2.2.2 (pOOBs4 as LAN host, also exfathax_pico.img from there for USB using Win32DiskImager, GoldHEN itself via NetCat GUI). Then installed my first PS4 game, Diablo II Remastered, and then put it to Rest Mode. Now it's bricked: the only audible and visual thing that still works is the three beeps when I touch the CD button. No power light, no power beep, gamepad doesn't find anything, PS4 doesn't accept discs. I've tried (and not once) pressing the power button for a long time, unplugging the power cable, powering on without HDD, still no sign of life.

Please, if anyone has any information on how to fix this, or knows what might be the cause, let me know. This is incredibly sad situation btw.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just bought a long desired PS4 (Pro 72xx, 9.00 FW), have installed GoldHEN 2.2.2 (pOOBs4 as LAN host, also exfathax_pico.img from there for USB using Win32DiskImager, GoldHEN itself via NetCat GUI). Then installed my first PS4 game, Diablo II Remastered, and then put it to Rest Mode. Now it's bricked: the only audible and visual thing that still works is the three beeps when I touch the CD button. No power light, no power beep, gamepad doesn't find anything, PS4 doesn't accept discs. I've tried (and not once) pressing the power button for a long time, unplugging the power cable, powering on without HDD, still no sign of life.

Please, if anyone has any information on how to fix this, or knows what might be the cause, let me know. This is incredibly sad situation btw.
maybe try another power cable. the ps4 power cable is generic as it uses the same as the ps3 slim, ps2 slim, and series x among others, so it won't be hard to find if you need to buy one.

Reactions: KiiWii

NSp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Try unplug it from power for a minute or two and try again.
Tried. First tried 10 minutes, then 1 hour, still nothing. As a last hope, I'll try unplug it for all night.
maybe try another power cable. the ps4 power cable is generic as it uses the same as the ps3 slim, ps2 slim, and series x among others, so it won't be hard to find if you need to buy one.
Tried. Will try a third, but the original cable is new and worked before Rest Mode.

Reactions: KiiWii

NSp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I found this on the motherboard, how likely is that this prevents the PS4 from starting (I know there could be other reasons, but how important do you think this little component next to the LAN port is)?

P_20220602_150328.jpg

P_20220602_150550.jpg

sharkticonnz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
try with the power unlpugged hold the power button down for about 30 seconds. mine does a similar after a kernal panic it just wont boot unless i unplug and hold the power button in

Reactions: Marc_LFD and NSp

NSp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
try with the power unlpugged hold the power button down for about 30 seconds. mine does a similar after a kernal panic it just wont boot unless i unplug and hold the power button in
Thank you for the last resort. Otherwise, with a heavy heart, I'll take it to repair.

Update: Nope, still dead.

Last edited by NSp,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

RFNS13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I really can't see how rest mode would cause such a thing....

- Forget about powering on with the controller, as after a crash/kp, the system automatically goes into a sort of safe mode so it can check the hdd, filesystem, etc. You then have to pair the controller using the usb cable to get it to work wirelessly again (this is perfectly normal, even on OFW. It's the intended behavior). You can try to power on via the controller while it's plugged in a usb port. I honestly don't think it works that way, but it's worth trying
- Inserting a disk... same thing. It works and powers on under normal circumstances, not after a crash
- Since you don't have power, don't bother checking the hdmi cable/port for now, as no signal is going out
- The eject button triggers a system beep, so power is reaching the motherboard. If it was a hardware issue, you'd get the infamous blue light of death, or simply no reaction at all, in case of a serious issue. Bad hdd, bad/overheating APU, bad BD drive, bad wifi module, bad hdmi... all trigger the blue light of death

My guess? The power button itself is malfunctioning. Try checking if it's correctly seated, making contact where it should, etc. Since you opened the console already, try manually shorting the contact points. Yes, it's safe. Just make sure you're shorting the right ones, double check if you are, and don't touch anything else

Last edited by RFNS13,
Reactions: NSp

RFNS13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
(double posting, sorry....)

This is the circuit you should be looking for. Check the switch, it should make a noticeable click when pressed, also should be moving straight and perpendicular to the daughterboard. If all seems ok, and you want to try shorting it, follow the two traces (black lines) coming out of it, and connect the corresponding pins with a bent paper clip, flat screwdriver, whatever.. just don't touch the other pins
ps4-pro-replacement-power-button-pcb-vsw-001002.jpg

Reactions: NSp

NSp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
(double posting, sorry....)

This is the circuit you should be looking for. Check the switch, it should make a noticeable click when pressed, also should be moving straight and perpendicular to the daughterboard. If all seems ok, and you want to try shorting it, follow the two traces (black lines) coming out of it, and connect the corresponding pins with a bent paper clip, flat screwdriver, whatever.. just don't touch the other pins

First of all, I want to thank you very much for your attention and for explaining everything so thoroughly. You may have seen my second post where I, in short, just returned to the same non-working console with a little clue about malfunctioning southbridge. But the problem is that I have already checked the power button. I did this by pressing the power button and touching the random contacts of the disconnected power's flex cable with a multimeter in continuity mode. Some of them started beeping during the button press.

I will definitely double-check your guess, but do you have any other theories what it could be? I'm afraid that there is no southbridge in the components you mentioned...

Last edited by NSp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.