PS4(PRO) Linux : How are emulators ?

depaul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi! I am planning to buy an additional 9.0 PS4 PRO just for homebrewing.

How are emulators running on PS4 PRO please? For example : Citra (3DS) : does it reach full speed on games like New Super Mario 2 and Mario 3D Land?

Thanks.

EDIT: 1 MONTH LATER:
I tried another Linux distribution (ITmania Catjaro Linux) that supports Vulkan drivers.

Opened Retroarch and selected Vulkan drivers.

==> But no real big difference compared to gl video drivers : Citra core runs New Super Mario Bros' 2 at 30-40 fps (50-66% speed).

I even tried to boot other Linux variations (2 GB VRAM, 3 GB, 4 GB...)... no difference in terms of Citra emulator speed.

I still wonder why we get such slow performance. PS4 PRO is a beast, at least compared to my old laptop with intel HD graphics 520, which runs citra at full speed!

Last edited by depaul,

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
...PS4 Pro is NOT a beast, unfortunately... The GPU yes indeed outperforms an intel HD 520 with ease, but the Jaguar CPU in the Pro, even though better than base PS4, is still woeful, and that will be what's causing the issues with higher end emulators like Citra: sure they increasingly benefit from GPU performance (Vulkan, etc), but you still need a decent CPU to go with it, and PS4 Pro doesn't have that.

Reactions: depaul

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn