Hardware PS4 no power at all, dead

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Basically my PS4 1216 model, does not power on at all. No lights, no fan kicks off.

I have some tech skills, and since it is not in warranty, I have teared it down. I started by checking the Power Supply and it gets power, but only at the primary circuit. The secondary appears to be dead. No power at all. That means the power signal cannot be triggered from the PS4 power button.

Did anyone face similar situation? The only solution is to replace the power supply? I believe is a componet that is causing the issue but I cannot see signs which one is faulty. See the area in question below:

16b5c7993b22ee4ac0c6d446569e1a9f.jpg

Any help is highly appreciated.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Try this

unplug the HDMI cable (important), push and hold the power button let it beep 2 times and release. plug in HDMI. Now your in recovery mode pick option 5. rebuild database.

Last edited by Kerbangman,

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Try this

unplug the HDMI cable (important), push and hold the power button let it beep 2 times and release. plug in HDMI. Now your in recovery mode pick option 5. rebuild database.
I have tried that, no reaction from the console. like I said is "dead". No power goes to the mainboard to power on in first place.

Kerbangman

Trophies
XP
Country
Well al you can do is check all fuseing ,Inductors ,0R resistors , Bake in an oven for 10 mins from cold ,then give up.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried that, no reaction from the console. like I said is "dead". No power goes to the mainboard to power on in first place.

How did this even happen? Did you drop the console? Mess around with the insides?

Last edited by Zero72463,

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
How did this even happen? Did you drop the console? Mess around with the insides?
None of the above... Just few weeks after warranty expired, just dead. No power to the mainboard to start up. I am sure it is the power supply the cause and the fuse checked and is fine.

As I said the secondary circuit is tge dead part. From my understanding the secondary circuit is dropping the 220V from the primary to 12V that the mainboard needs.

Daddythebiker

Trophies
XP
Country
Do not bake it in the oven... Use a heat gun and do a low heat reflow. If you see the solder melting your to close/hot, you only want to soften it a little. After you have heated it up let it rest for 1-2 hours without moving the board, not even an inch.
This only helps if the power problem is caused by poor soldering and should be used as a last resort only.

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
#Daddythebiker. The solders seem like new. I believe the fault is the black transistors(?) that connect the primary to the secondary circuit.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
did you try using another power cord cable ?

this happened to my ps3 like twice, the power cable just stopped working.

i replaced it for the 3rd time now.

if that is not it, then while you have the ps4 unplugged hold down the power button for 20seconds and then let it go and plug the power cord back in.

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
The cord is checked, is fine. I will do the other trick and revert back.

atomsk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can try replacing the power supply. It is pretty simple to do and easy to take apart. You can find replacement power supplies on eBay and there are great guides on the ifixit blog.

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
No luck with any trick and replacement too expensive... I will use the multimeter and try to locate the fault

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I have located some faulty components at the top side. They are cheap and I will try to replace them first. I will post my findings after I test.

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
I believe I have located the problem on two diodes. I have ordered replacement parts and try to replace them. Cross fingers it will work. I believe this will be the solution to many ps4 owners with the same or similar issue.

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hello again. An update on the above:

I have replaced the diodes and the power supply is alive again. But, the PS4 is not turning on, no lights, no beep....

I have checked the fuses (Fxxxx) on the mainboard and they show continuity. What else could cause the power to not be running on the board circuit?

I have checked the power supply on another PS4, and works perfect.

Any clue?

MadMaxGR

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Yesterday I have checked the power rails, I can locate 3.3V and 5V traces on the board when the power supply is hooked on it but the touch sensitive power button does not respond. I cannot locate any component to have 12V, why? why the power button does nothing? I am sure something is blown but what???

jacobsson

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi! Did you ever solve this? I'm in the same boat as you. Swapped in the faulty board into a working housing, still nothing.

hemi426

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You have to look for the trigger line on the psu and short it with the 5v line and measure if the psu outputs the power.check your model because some of the first fat psu's are different. look foor the line with 0v put 5v on there psu should give 12v.this foto is from a cuh-12xx
MD8Ea7Q.png

Last edited by hemi426,
Reactions: jacobsson

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉