PS4 FW 7.02 kernel exploit released by TheFlow

ps4 logo.PNG
Renowned for his work in the PSVita scene, TheFlow has extended his contribution into the PS4 scene. Last night, he announced a new kernel exploit he found on the PS4 firmware 7.02. He further mentions that this vulnerability can be combined with a Webkit exploit for firmwares up to 6.72; hinting at the potential Jailbreak.

This exploit has, however, been patched in the PS4's 7.50 FW since TheFlow himself worked with Sony's HackerOne bounty program to expose this issue. For those looking for more technical details around the exploit, head to the HackerOne page right here to learn more.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans, , Reason: exploit patched on FW 7.50, not 7.51

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the Flow had nothing to do with the PS4 prior to this exploit, so it's just a matter of waiting for other devs to create a user-friendly way to launch the exploit. This was his first serious work with PS4 hacking, and went to shit because all the little kiddies were bitching and crying at him to release his exploit for months on end.

The fuck are you talking about? You do realize that the exploit is public, right? He literally posted the write up, any dev familiar with the PS4 scene can utilize his work to create a loader for users to launch homebrew on firmwares up to 7.02. I give it a few weeks to a month before someone like SpecterDev releases Mira for 6.72.

He's not on "Sony payroll", he was paid once for his contribution on an exploit that worked for latest firmware, which was 7.02 at the time. Sony themselves then fixed the kernel exploit, which allowed The Flow to publicly release his 7.02 exploit after being paid his due from Sony. He literally got paid to fuck Sony's security and release it to the public.

https://github.com/kiwidoggie/mira-project/commit/9525657a9455068adc50952b4d0d35f4dbbf7479

6.72 for Mira :)

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Goku1992A,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is great news for the guys on 5.05 they can finally Play Red Dead Redemption 2 and Resident Evil 2 idk what other notable games there are to play I guess AC Odyssey and a few other titles MK11 Maybe

I'm curious whether or not you'd be able to get PSN titles onto a hacked PS4. Beat Saber would be a great example. That would keep me from selling my PS4 Pro.

Reactions: Loko4

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Very happy about this, I'll need to think if I will upgrade my hacked ps4 to 7.02 or my legit 'signed in to psn' ps4 to 7.02.
There are benefits to having a psn profile linked when using cfw, right?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great news for the guys on 5.05 they can finally Play Red Dead Redemption 2 and Resident Evil 2 idk what other notable games there are to play I guess AC Odyssey and a few other titles MK11 Maybe
Also Spiderman and KH3. So yeah 6.72 pretty much has 2019's big titles support and that also means new game updates that 5.05 couldn't touch unless it was just the base game"God of War". 7.02 started at the end of 2019, but lasted a few months ago in April a little after FF7 Remake's release.

Last edited by MasterJ360,
Reactions: peteruk

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also Spiderman and KH3. So yeah 6.72 pretty much has 2019's big titles support and that also means new game updates that 5.05 couldn't touch unless it was just the base game"God of War". 7.02 started at the end of 2019, but lasted a few months ago in April a little after FF7 Remake's release.

My PS4 was on 6.72 I had updated to 7.51 like 3 days ago I haven't cut on my PS4 in a year. Most the games I either had on my PS4 or I had bought them a year ago but this is going to be a big improvement for those who waited long. I'm waiting on FF7 and TLOU2 to go on sale for $30 each so I can pick them up. I already have a switch for pirating and my gaming laptop so I'll be fine for that section.

I'm curious whether or not you'd be able to get PSN titles onto a hacked PS4. Beat Saber would be a great example. That would keep me from selling my PS4 Pro.

You should be able to do the same thing like a hacked PS3 it just depends on that title firmware

Reactions: MasterJ360

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks theflow there are people that will definitely "benefit" from this.

Not me anyway since I've bought all my games and I plan to play them on the PS5 super fast ssd.

MasterZoilus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A list isn't really needed and people for some reason like to over complicate things

I already did a video about this....

any games from 2019 and back will work on 6.72

There's only TWO months in question, Jan. & Feb. 2020 because any games released in March
and beyond will not work.
There may be exceptions but traditionally that is EXTREMELY rare
that a min. fw requirement goes 5 months or more back.

Games released in Jan. of this year have maybe a 50/50 chance of working (better
if within the first 2 weeks of the month)

Those released in feb. have a significantly less chance of working (again, a bit better chance
if it came out in the first 2 weeks) . But by the back half of feb. the chances a game release
will work are very slim.

All of the above refers to base game retail release, not DLC, updates...etc.
The info also comes from the fact of how game releases and their required
minimum firmware has been set up across all consoles for multiple generations,
ps4 has been no exception.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PS4 was on 6.72 I had updated to 7.51 like 3 days ago I haven't cut on my PS4 in a year. Most the games I either had on my PS4 or I had bought them a year ago but this is going to be a big improvement for those who waited long. I'm waiting on FF7 and TLOU2 to go on sale for $30 each so I can pick them up. I already have a switch for pirating and my gaming laptop so I'll be fine for that section.
Oh yeah I know a couple of fellow temp users that updated their ps4's just to play Spiderman and Red2 they even made threads based on their decision, they just got tired of waiting over empty hope. This was b4 the Flow made his appearance to the scene btw. The only thing we were going on for 2 years was that there was an "Exploit in Private" bit. I just wish they held on a little longer b/c 6.72 would truly be their savior. But yeah you can probably find those 2 games *used* on Ebay or Amazon now for a cheaper price may not be $30 tho. Anyway Homebrew wise your aren't really missing much tbh, sure there's PS2 emulation, but that can be done on a JB ps3 or a decent PC with more compatibility.

Reactions: depaul

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh yeah I know a couple of fellow temp users that updated their ps4's just to play Spiderman and Red2 they even made threads based on their decision, they just got tired of waiting over empty hope. This was b4 the Flow made his appearance to the scene btw. The only thing we were going on for 2 years was that there was an "Exploit in Private" bit. I just wish they held on a little longer b/c 6.72 would truly be their savior. But yeah you can probably find those 2 games *used* on Ebay or Amazon now for a cheaper price may not be $30 tho. Anyway Homebrew wise your aren't really missing much tbh, sure there's PS2 emulation, but that can be done on a JB ps3 or a decent PC with more compatibility.
Imho theflow could have warned us earlier that: "if you want exploit stay under fw 6.72..."

But well we can't complain since the scene is alive again thanks to him.

Last edited by depaul,

Nostalgia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great, now we'll get people whining everyday on every site and post " when can we use it ? " A million times a day. We won't be using it for a while since there is no entrypoint exploit ( webkit exploit, save exploit, menu exploit etc ) at the moment for higher firmwares to even use the kernel exploit. You still need an entrypoint to run a kernel exploit. A webkit exploit won't be happening since it has been patched and fixed so heavily after 6.72 ( think the latest one was )a new one beyond 6.72 won't be happening in the next 2 years unless a different entrypoint that isn't a webkit one will be found but those are usually a million times harder to find since all the other ways are a trillion times more secure. Great that it did release tho, bought a while back a whole box with a lot of games in it that I couldn't yet play since I only got a single PS4 pro system still on 5.05. Just don't expect an entry point pas 6.72 for atleast 2 years minimum since a webkit entrypoint beyond that is almost impossible and one that isn't that is even less unlikely by now but atleast we'll finally get to enjoy the glorious 6.72 firmware update for a the coming years and can finally start waving goodbye to 5.05
this type of stuff always makes me laugh

people are literally always wrong

This can't be hacked, that can't be hacked.

Doom and gloom.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Imho theflow could have warned us earlier that: "if you want exploit stay under fw 6.72..."

But well we can't complain since the scene is alive again thanks to him.
Actually he implicitly did when he was requesting for PS4's with specific versions but he should have hinted more that he found an exploit specially that he reported the bug to Sony. Of course, maybe Sony tied his hands and prevented him from doing that as one of the conditions for the bounty.

Last edited by fvig2001,
Reactions: depaul

pauliebb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually he implicitly did when he was requesting for PS4's with specific versions but he should have hinted more that he found an exploit specially that he reported the bug to Sony. Of course, maybe Sony tied his hands and prevented him from doing that as one of the conditions for the bounty.

He did say to stay under 6.20... if you wanted a kexploit.

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1237646511388930048

Reactions: hippy dave

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I'm on firmware below 7.02 is there a way to download it and manually update to the specific fir.ware

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That is correct
Because of the toxic scene and kids demanding stuff for free from him

He's done great for the sake of the Scene on Vita, and now he's doing the same on the PSSucks.

Anyway, I wouldn't let my go away very own willings and the things that make me happy just for some suptid kids that think they have any nibble of right to demand a thing.
But well, he must have his very own reason and I do respect them. My best wishes and farewells to him. Respect.

RationalityIsLost101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to chime in and say it was interesting to see this development in the PS4 scene but I sold my dusty 5.05FW PS4 Pro for $580 on ebay during the beginning of the Covid-19 quarantine. Given that more and more console titles are finding their way to PC I'm hesitating on buying a day 1 PS5 this time around.

I've really enjoyed the Nintendo Switch so much that it has become the only thing I want to play games on. Maybe something on the horizon for Playstation will pull me back come PS5 release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc