PS3 Yellow dog linux 6.1

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Scorpei, Nov 26, 2008.

Nov 26, 2008

PS3 Yellow dog linux 6.1 by Scorpei at 9:31 PM (1,389 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Scorpei
    OP

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I suppose that would need a PS3 with a FW version lower then 1.8 (or was it 2.1)? Seeing as after that the hypervisor/RSX gets locked? Not sure though (hence posting here [​IMG]). Should speed it up extensively, way more RAM (and using multiple cores, though that has been in there for a while).

2. Scorpei
    OP

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Allrighty, I'll just answer myself after googling for the past hour and bringing myself up to speed [​IMG]. The PS3 has the hypervisor right? Well that thing effectivly locks you out of using the RSX (the video processor). There was a workaround but that only works for FW lower then 2.1 (Still not sure where I got my 1.8 from..). Now someone has made a new workaround that doesn't allow access to the RSX but uses the RAM available to the RSX to create a RAM disc.

The PS3 has 2 types of ram:
    256mb of main ram
    256mb of 'video ram' for the RSX

This new workaround (incorporated in YDL 6.1) doesn't activate the RSX / or use it, but only uses it's ram and mount that as a RAMDISK. That effectivly then can be used as discspace --> SWAP. Adding fast swap is nice, but can't really be seen as extra ram. It's not like you suddenly have 512mb of ram. The new workaround works with all frirmwares to date (2.5 something). Mind you if you upgrade your firmware to >= 2.1 you are screwed RSX wise until some other hack comes along.

== as for my 1.8 thought ==
    I think anything higher then 1.8 broke wireless or something.... maybe that's fixed by now though.

3. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    though you cant use the RSX yet, a (fast!) ramdisk ist just as nice, because 256mb ram is just way too small.