PS3 RSX FreeBSD Driver released by GitBrew

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xuphor, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/09/released-freebsd-rsx-driver/

I don't know pretty much anything about linux, so I can't really summarize what it means. Can a linux user please tell us? All of that website's forum comments are pretty much nothing but trolling, no helpful info to non-linux users.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    If I don't say any mistakes, it's a driver for linux (a linux installed on PS3, like any new installed Linux on cfw, like OtherOS++. so install a FreeBSD version) to allow access to the RSX graphic chipset/instruction.
    It's a chipset/function (?) which was un-accessible on OtherOS. It was restricted access because it could allow 3D graphics/could give graphic power which Sony preferred not to see from amateur developers.

Well, now it's only if I don't say anything wrong [​IMG]
    Feel free to correct me.

3. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    No, it is a driver for FreeBSD, which is a un*x like OS similar to Linux. In fact, most regular (not drivers though) software can easily work on both with nothing more than a simple recompile. Drivers like the RSX driver is a different matter, though it is still fairly easy for someone with experience working with device drivers to do.

4. Xuphor
    OP

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    So does this mean...... what? Better linux PS3 homebrew? Possible n64 PS3-Linux Emulators?
    I don't get why this news is such a big deal on various PS3 news websites.

5. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    Antarctica
    The Forge
    You get a better graphics with the ports which allows heavier software to be run. What it will bring in the future is quite a lot up to the community and the brewers, but that's what it could possibly do. What it basically means is that you "change your graphics chip into a newer one which allows better processing". OtherOS had a pretty much underpowered graphics driver probably for the reasons mentioned before..

-Qtis

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice