PS3 RSX FreeBSD Driver released by GitBrew

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xuphor, Sep 6, 2011.

Sep 6, 2011
  1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/09/released-freebsd-rsx-driver/

I don't know pretty much anything about linux, so I can't really summarize what it means. Can a linux user please tell us? All of that website's forum comments are pretty much nothing but trolling, no helpful info to non-linux users.

2. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    If I don't say any mistakes, it's a driver for linux (a linux installed on PS3, like any new installed Linux on cfw, like OtherOS++. so install a FreeBSD version) to allow access to the RSX graphic chipset/instruction.
    It's a chipset/function (?) which was un-accessible on OtherOS. It was restricted access because it could allow 3D graphics/could give graphic power which Sony preferred not to see from amateur developers.

Well, now it's only if I don't say anything wrong [​IMG]
    Feel free to correct me.

3. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

No, it is a driver for FreeBSD, which is a un*x like OS similar to Linux. In fact, most regular (not drivers though) software can easily work on both with nothing more than a simple recompile. Drivers like the RSX driver is a different matter, though it is still fairly easy for someone with experience working with device drivers to do.

4. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    So does this mean...... what? Better linux PS3 homebrew? Possible n64 PS3-Linux Emulators?
    I don't get why this news is such a big deal on various PS3 news websites.

5. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    You get a better graphics with the ports which allows heavier software to be run. What it will bring in the future is quite a lot up to the community and the brewers, but that's what it could possibly do. What it basically means is that you "change your graphics chip into a newer one which allows better processing". OtherOS had a pretty much underpowered graphics driver probably for the reasons mentioned before..

-Qtis