PS3/PSP private keys released.

DeadlyAnGeL91792

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant wait to see some homebrew im really pumped for it gimmie my Snes Emu and free psn games and ill be happy
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Speculant said:
Thanks for this post, too many people believe that homebrew programs like ISO loaders and emulators just pop out of thin air, they don't understand or appreciate the work and effort that goes into it. Making programs for gaming systems like the Wii or PS3 is much more complicated than making programs for, say, Windows because x86 programming for Windows has MUCH more tutorials and documentation available than cell programming for the PS3.You're welcome. I'm only an amateur programmer, but I dick around in code often enough to know just how much works goes into seemingly-simple tasks.

lolzed said:
They removed OtherOS(linux).
Now that hackers don't have their homebrew,they hacked it(pretty fast too).I'm generally quiet on this, but I'm not fully sure that was it. Yes, that's what got attention whore hackers going after it publicly, but the official linux environment in the PS3 was gimped heavily be being locked into only using a framebuffer video driver, I know more than one dev that passed over it for that very reason (GPUs can be used for surprisingly much nowadays).

Posts merged

QUOTE(8BitWalugi @ Jan 3 2011, 10:31 PM)
Where is this 'Hello World' program?
Geohot's site (thus no link). It's a .self.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
DeadlyAnGeL91792 said:
Cant wait to see some homebrew im really pumped for it gimmie my Snes Emu and free psn games and ill be happy
smile.gif

I don't think PSN games will be handled as easily as Homebrew, but a loader should be made.

Unless I am mistaken...

Rydian said:
QUOTE(8BitWalugi @ Jan 3 2011, 10:31 PM) Where is this 'Hello World' program?
Found it. Now how do I use it...

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Speculant said:
popopola said:
interesting about that tidbit in the front page where someone said the PS3 is lower than the wii in terms of security.

My only questions is, why now? Why did it take so long to exploit the ps3 if it was such an "epic fail" to begin with?

Nobody really tried because they thought it was going to be incredibly complicated, if not impossible.

Technology has improved since 2006.

well team over flow has stated that they hacked it now, because sony took away otheros, previously there was not point in putting the effort since coder could run linux.

Just makes you think, Linux is inevitable on consoles, either its supported or it'll be hacked to support it.
wink.gif

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
DeadlyAnGeL91792 said:
smile.gif

I don't think PSN games will be handled as easily as Homebrew, but a loader should be made.

Unless I am mistaken...

Rydian said:
It says it right on the site you get it from. Like it is right next to the download link.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Heran Bago said:
8BitWalugi said:
DeadlyAnGeL91792 said:
smile.gif

Unless I am mistaken...

Rydian said:
It says it right on the site you get it from. Like it is right next to the download link.
So do I need a Jailbreak? Because I don't have one, and judging by what the keys can do, I won't need one.

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
It's not impossible for them to fix this. However the fix will not be nearly as easy as it has been in the past.

haddad said:
Where is the homebrew that use's these "keys" ?????
There's one "hello world" program, if that matters to you

FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE, THIS JUST HAPPENED, GIVE IT SOME GODDAMN TIME BEFORE YOU BEG FOR SHIT

You all think somebody snaps their fucking fingers and programs are created?
angry.gif
As a coder, thank you very much for this post. Please edit it into the OP?

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
So it make sense (somewhat...) because the PS3 has an OS aka Linux it didn't long to hack it?

Speaking of OS, can the PS3 now play a PC game at this point?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canonbeat234 said:
So it make sense (somewhat...) because the PS3 has an OS aka Linux it didn't long to hack it?

I don't foresee the PS3 ever running PC games really. The keys were just released. The PS3 can do nothing it couldn't do before as it stands now.

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ManFranceGermany said:
Rydian said:
I won't argue that a large number a users simply mod to pirate, but coming in and claiming that gbatemp is nothing but piracy is clearly stupidity.

I never said this!
GBAtemp is a place with good connection to Producers of different hacking devices and its a place where many people from all over the world meet, to talk about games and news in the hacking and console scene. Thats interesting for me.

But even if we have some really creative Guys on Gbatemp, doing some impressive stuff, 99% of the Topics are about BackUps, which isn't illegal...but i think you should not close your eyes in front of this too.

I tried some of the games you recommended and I wasn't impressed, but some them I never heard of, so I will give them a try.

Let's stop to get so much offtopic!

peace
All in all, In my opinion is that if there's some kind of enjoyment to be had it can be had multiple ways on these hacked consoles (emulators too. DSx86 I'm looking at you (and KQ6 love that game).) I found an app i enjoy using quite frequently on the psp. Bookr Mod. It allows me to read FAQs and strategy guides among other things. Seriously, though I kinda see where your coming from. Anytime somebody mentions the word hacks someone else Shouts out FREE GAMES. Kinda Redundant

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:

It did have Linux at one point, but they took it out on slims, and later via firmware update took it out of the original system too. Not only that, but the Linux it did have was sandboxed, unable to use all of the hardware the PS3 had. Them taking it out via the firmware update was said to have resulted of the security being defeated faster. (I can't really call it hacked because it wasn't the PS3's security in itself hacked, but a flaw in how Sony signed their stuff.)

And no, the PS3 can't play most PC games now, because most of them are for x86 for one thing, and most are for Windows for another. Yes, wine can be used to work around this if it was x86 and Linux, but it's both not x86 and Linux.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So if I put the keys on my PS Jailbreak, then I can play games from the XMB? (kidding)

Seriously though, this is both an awesome and frightening development. I'm on pins and needles waiting to see what both Sony and the homebrew community do next regarding this development. I wonder if some people(s) at Sony are going to be fired for putting such a critical piece of information under such lax security.

Also, how is this going to affect their PSN moderation / handling? Strict moderation and maintenance of Xbox Live is justified due to the $50 / month that people pay to use it (specifically the online gameplay), but PS3 owners enjoy online play at no additional cost. Does that mean that online play on the PS3 will go straight to hell when cheating becomes easy to pull off?

While the key release excites me, and might even push me to make something that'll run on the PS3 (like a resume builder!), I feel really bad for Sony. Even if they deserve this a little for snatching OtherOS out from PS3 owners, this is like getting stabbed for poking someone.

Linkpal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is truly fantastic news for the homebrew scene. Exciting stuff, I can't wait to see what comes of it.

But uh, I keep seeing these posts speculating about ports of Dolphin and whatnot. Does the PS3's Cell really have the processing power to commit to such a feat? It could hardly emulate PS2 games, from what little experience I had with the 80GB at one point, so I really don't see it efficiently emulating the GameCube/Wii.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
Question:

Suppose im a guy with some coding skills (im not. I can barely put together a sentence about coding)

I download a PS3 game. Sign it with the leaked keys (somehow)

I burn this key signed donwloaded game with my BluRay burner (an incredibly unpopular piece of hardware)

Will this game run on my PS3?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
cacildo said:
Question:

Suppose im a guy with some coding skills (im not. I can barely put together a sentence about coding)

I burn this key signed donwloaded game with my BluRay burner (an incredibly unpopular piece of hardware)

Probably not, because among the keys for signing PS3 and PSP games, fail0verflow did not attempt to release the keys for signing blu-ray discs.

There is no homebrew potential what-so-ever in having the blu-ray keys, only piracy and counterfeiting.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
cacildo said:
Question:

Probably not, because among the keys for signing PS3 and PSP games, fail0verflow did not attempt to release the keys for signing blu-ray discs.

There is no homebrew potential what-so-ever in having the blu-ray keys, only piracy and counterfeiting.

That's pretty short sited. You could store a pretty decent sized homebrew library on a blu-ray disc.

Not to mention unlicensed game companies developing games for it, stuff like Action Replay, etc.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
RupeeClock said:

Thanks. I was under this wrong impression about the keys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed