Hacking PS3 PKGs on PS4?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at RPCS3 the requirements of even running few less demanding titles would be too high for a PS4.
Sony also already said that there will be no emulator, to enable more people to enjoy rebuying old games only with higher resolution or streaming them via their too slow internet.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking at RPCS3 the requirements of even running few less demanding titles would be too high for a PS4.
Sony also already said that there will be no emulator, to enable more people to enjoy rebuying old games only with higher resolution or streaming them via their too slow internet.
Why would you look at what it takes to run it on a pc with no specific driver support? The overhead for a made from scratch emulator programmed by a few devs in their spare time is huge... Sony could make a much more optimized emulator, but even then I believe they would have to recompile the games like they did for 360 games on Xbox one. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony has a tool that recompiles games for you, but nobody has leaked such a tool.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only early 2500 Slim models, they don't need to be on FW 3.55 but they need to have been released from factory with that FW.

According to http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

CECH 2500 was released in 2009 and all of those, plus all of the 2010 models can be downgraded to 3.55.

At the beginning of 2011 they started shipping them with 3.56. These still had the original metldr, so even though you can't downgrade to 3.55 you can still use ps3xploit to install 4.82.

Then in april 2011 they switched to metldr2, these can't have CFW. In june 2011 they switched to cech-3000, which again is not hackable.

It looks like roughly 18 months worth of CECH-2500 are hackable & about 3 months worth aren't. This is based on a small sample, but it's certainly not just early CECH 2500's. The odds are good that if you keep looking then you'll find a CECH-2500 that will work with CFW without much trouble.

Reactions: susi91

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I could recall wrong that only a minority had a FW <= 3.55, but the page you linked reports July 2010 as CECH-2500 model release date. ^__~

Anyway even without CFW, there is an HEN/HAN series of tools to repack/resign packages even for super-slim PS3 models...

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could recall wrong that only a minority had a FW <= 3.55, but the page you linked reports July 2010 as CECH-2500 model release date. ^__~

Right. I must have misread it when scrolling, due to all those xx's.

But still From July to December they are definitely hackable, some in January are hackable but maybe not downgradable to 3.55. The next three months maybe not cfw.

Still good odds, but you should check if you're going to buy one. When I've looked, I've never found an unhackable one.

Last edited by smf,

Bleolakri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may bump this, my question is similar... I'm curious about the pkg files from the PSN store for the PS1 and PS2 titles, not offered on the PS4's store, if they can be transferred to the PS4...

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I may bump this, my question is similar... I'm curious about the pkg files from the PSN store for the PS1 and PS2 titles, not offered on the PS4's store, if they can be transferred to the PS4...
If you mean PS2 classics on PS4 then as long as you have a 7.55 or lower console: yes you can use FPKG meant for use on a PS4 on a PS4.

As for PS1, there aren’t many, if any…. I mean Medievil has a PS1 iso built in… but it’s probably best to use the emulated method PSX FPKG

Bleolakri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda of a bit a RPG/JRPG player, so I had quite a few, Suikoden 1&2 and all the Final Fantasies I could find just as an example for the PS1. I'm trying to see what I'm getting myself into transferring what I have to my PS4 before I tackle messing with the PS4. I don't really have any PS3 titles that I play that hasn't already been remastered for the PS4 besides maybe Twisted Metal.

side question: I bought Twisted Metal Black off the PSN but that version did not include the cinematic/movies during the story, was there ever one dumped or a way to patch that one?

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Bleolakri I would try use the existing dump of twisted metal ps2 classics and swap out the PS2 iso within to whatever version had the cut scenes or whatever it is you’re missing. Apparently there are no configurations needed to run twisted in its own base emulator. So it’s just trial and error injecting the alternate iso I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if it’s a PS3 remaster of the game then you’re SOL afaik.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1