Trophies
XP
Country
United States
priority hdd use: video playback....
not as concerned for game backups...
how do i do it?
does the ps3 have to format hdd?
how do i do it when hdd is already partitioned and formatted?
what is necessary for gaming?

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
For videos:

QUOTE said:
* Memory Stick Video Format
* - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile ?AAC LC?
* - MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
* MP4 file format
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS?MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3?Dolby Digital?, AAC LC?
* MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
* AVI
* - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
* - Motion JPEG (?-Law)
* AVCHD ?.m2ts / .mts?
* DivX
* WMV
* - VC-1?WMA Standard V2?

Those are supported Codecs that PS3 can play.

These are the supported containers that PS3 can demultiplex.

QUOTE said:
avi, mt2s, ts, avi, mpeg, mpg, divx, mp4

so far those are the formats that PS3 can do, for now.

QUOTE said:
does the ps3 have to format hdd?

Ps3 is already pre-formatted the HDD and ready to use. So you can start downloading videos using your Internet Browser or via PSN.

If you want to store videos on your external HDD. You need to format your drive with FAT32 file system or FAT. Then create a new folder on the root drive, and name it as "Video" (ps3 will look up first on that folder).

And also possible to copy any videos using DLNA server. (refer to google) I know a good DLNA server, which is if you already have a Windows OS installed on your computer. You can use Windows Media Player 11 to setup DLNA server. (XP,VISTA,7)

QUOTEhow do i do it when hdd is already partitioned and formatted?
partition? if your talking about the PS3's internal drive, you cant partition that. But if youre talking about your external HDD. there are amount of good application can do that.

Note: You cant "use" any partitioned Drives on PS3, as it will refuse reading it.

To make your drive accessible to PS3, you can use "Partition Magic" (google it) to redo any partitioning in your drive. And since Windows Xp or above doesnt support any HDD larger than 32GB to use FAT32 filesystem. Partition Magic can also do that work for you, and format the drive with FAT32 filesystem.

Note: Be sure to backup your drive first because the process will delete all your files on the HDD your working on.

what is necessary for gaming?
hmm?

necessary huh? i dunno what are you talking about, but. Maybe, its necessary to use a controller for gaming though.

alphanemisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks that info was totally awesome...
thank you for taking the time to post .

ok, yes external hdd.... so using something like partion magic after repartitioning hdd as fat 32 format the ps3 should be able to read it? and my windows xp based pc read it too?

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
partition magic works on all Windows OS if im not mistaken. Just make sure you read some about partition magic, but in one look, it should be understandable, and the tutorial usage for partition magic is in flash presentation. So its much better than a text based tutorial.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, partitioned drives work fine as long as the first partition is FAT32. That might not be necessary but the 360 won't work if the first partition is NTFS and the second FAT32 so that is what I tested with. As for Partition Magic, I believe it acts as a bootable disc and does not require an OS to work.

alphanemisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
necessary huh? i dunno what are you talking about, but. Maybe, its necessary to use a controller for gaming though.

what is necessary fro hdd gaming....for ps3
1 can ps3 play any ps1 or 2 iso on external hdd i know there are no hackd for ps3, but if the slim plays ps1 games, couldnt it also play burned from iso ps1 games? or hard drive?
and would any software be necessry?

that would be the blanks i left out when i asked what was needed for gaming....

im gonna try to format go hdd today...i jacked something off cnet well see how it works.... and its free! woohoo!
yeah after spending 300 on jjust the console alone... they think i got coin left for games and software and extra controllers or somethin???
gotta love cnet

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
1 can ps3 play any ps1 or 2 iso on external hdd i know there are no hackd for ps3

For PSX gameplay, there's a way, but i wont recommend it. why? you need to ripopff your PS3 first, or do a switch trick on the drive bay.

For PS2 Gameplay, you must know first if your PS3 is capable of playing Ps2 games, then if it is capable, use your swapmagic to the PS3 and boot it up. Load the PS2loader made by ifcaro to load backups on your external HDD or through network.

QUOTEbut if the slim plays ps1 games, couldnt it also play burned from iso ps1 games?

none for now, but hey you can play PSX games through internal harddrive by buying the Playstation Classic game, which is generally a PSX games. Hit a visit on PSN to see what PSOne classics available there.

alphanemisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok heres the update:

went through the pain of reformatting external hdd...
the largest fat partition the program would yield was about 380 gb i think...
did throw on an mp4 that i have on my psp
playstation 3 picked it up no problems...
quality looked alot better on the psp (possible not as easy to see the flaws with video, or with audio timing)
the video looked average, and some places distorted in some frames but not the whole picture
audio did not sync up, about a 2 second delay... so theres an explosion...pause... and then you hear the rumble...

possible i should try converting video with different settings as i believe this was medium or low quality 24000hz not avc at 48000hz

alphanemisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive downloaded several programs(freeware) some seem very capable, but some very slow(probably meant for vista grade hardware) or very deep processing for quality...and others just suck. playback of pirates of carrabean in low or medium quality i think(dont remember what i opted) was very bad experience on ps3. is there any file style that plays in psp and still looks great on ps3? psp format mp4 at the highest quality setting looks kinda bad on the hdtv 52"... i mean if im going to invest hard drive space and time to convert i should only have to convert one time!

winx software seems to work pretty well on my one-legged computer...fast enough(within 3 hours depending on video) at least not still going after 24 hours like some others.

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
*looks for video resolution*

- PSP's standard resolution 475x360
- PS3's minimum resolution can be done 640*480 -- max 1980*1080 (interlaced/progressive)

if you compare what resolution can b edone on both devices, PSP totally sucks on resolution, if you fight it with PS3, PS3 requires atleast *720x480* (for wide screen monitors) video resolution as a source (not a re-encoded from a smaller sized), if youre using non widescreen monitor 640*480 and 720*576 will suffice.

PS3 uses ... MPEG4 / AVC Low Profile 4.1 or lower for High definition Videos. Minimum Bitrate is 1.2mbps max is around 52mbps

For audio here... atleast see the wideknown audio formats that can PS3 play, max sound range that PS3 can do is 96khz lowest is 8khz, bitrate lossless format are the highest (25mbps audio bitrate) lowest are around 64kbps wth mp3 format or wma.

i recommend you to use "Super C" all-in-one video converter. That program, has a widerange of video settigns that PS3 is capable to playback. Ohh btw. its free.

alphanemisis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks dnn...#@%????? how bout just D? that was very helpful.. i will check out super c...

and yes 420x280 resolution looks terrible on a 52" hdtv!!!!!!!!! unless i patch it with the hd video cables from the psp (i havent tried, but still so not the point)

im strongly considering converting to avi/divx since the files are still relatively small, content can still include menu system( i think depends on the software used) and decent quality, but yet, not so compatable with psp...but i dont think my model ps3 is compatable either...80 gig slim version.

getting something working properly for both devices=impossible!
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What.