ps3 hack

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Kutski, Oct 18, 2008.

Oct 18, 2008

ps3 hack by Kutski at 5:17 PM (1,287 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Kutski
    OP

Newcomer Kutski Member

United Kingdom
    hi,

how do i run homebrew on my ps3?
    can i copy the files from pc and transfer to ps3 via usb memory stick???

2. Link5084

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Uh, no.

PS3's aren't hackable yet at this point. It's too damn expensive to do so anyways.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are two main homebrew methods for the PS3.

One uses the version of java the blue ray discs use (BD-J). Compared to other systems it is nothing special (there is barely a nes emulator).
    The other is via linux, Sony allow a fairly cut down section of the system to be used for linux. See yellow dog linux for a start although there are several tweaks/forks and alternatives.

The original xbox is probably still the best homebrew console around and it does support what they are trying to pass off as high def if that is your concern.

4. Kutski
    OP

Newcomer Kutski Member

United Kingdom
    how would i go about my original xbox then? i dont really want to use Action Replay and i dont want to open it up either i want just a softmod really...

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The action replay for the xbox is simply a memory card reader. You can however make an adapter that works with some USB sticks (those built to the official spec rather than a "compatible" one). All you have to do is get a USB extension (actually all you need is a female USB socket but you might as well have the option of using an xbox pad on the PC) and solder like coloured wires (red to red, black to black....). The xbox pad has a yellow wire but you simply leave that.

If you can find someone with a modded xbox and a memory card that will also work.

This allows you to copy a save to the xbox to use in a soft mod which involves one of three games: Mech assault, Splintercell 1, or 007 Agent Under Fire. I would suggest splinter cell as you then do not have to worry about versions and it is a bit easier to find.

You copy the save (remember it is two files), try to load the save game which triggers the softmod setup. After this you will have a custom dashboard which I suggest you replace with xbox media center aka xbmc (it is too big to fit on a memory card so you can not install it right off the bat.

The other option is you open the xbox up and use the so called hotswap technique:
    http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Hard_Disk_Hotswap_HOWTO
    This method has the advantage of being possible without extra games/hardware.

There are many threads discussing it in the xbox section but I suggest you grab a program called autoinstaller deluxe aka AID as it has all the stuff you will need.
    Also make sure to read this article:
    http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xbox_Linux_...D_Burning_HOWTO

6. Kutski
    OP

Newcomer Kutski Member

United Kingdom
    ok thanks man ill look in to that one

7. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    the nes emulator doesnt work anymore with the new firmware update