Hardware PS3 GPU problem

rysluoive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As the title says my ps3 has an GPU problem!(I think)

Recently I‘ve purchased a ps3 from eBay and I was planning to update the HDD and install a cfw.

When I received the package I cleaned the ps3 thoroughly, but I didn’t change the thermal paste (the warranty seal is intact). I plug the ps3 with my TV and everything were working great. I guess the previous owner hadn’t turned it on for a long time because the installed firmware was the official 4.81. I decided to update the firmware and because the HDD was almost full, I formatted it. I didn’t know that the procedure would last 5 hours!!!

After that, the ps3 started to have problems with the HDMI. When I was turning it on, there was nothing on the screen. I had to reset the display settings (I held the power button for 2-3 sec until I heard a second beep etc.) every time to make it work. I also restored it from the recovery menu (safe menu) but the problem wasn’t solved.

Then I thought that the Ps3 was suffering from the “Handshake problem”. I‘ve read that if you change the video output settings to 1080i it will work. And it did… for 2-3 times, then the problem returned.

I tested different cables, different TV’s port but nothing.

One day I‘ve decided to plug it to another TV as a miracle the ps3 started to work… for 4-5 times at least. On the fifth time I turned on, strange artifacts appeared on the screen and the ps3 froze. I kept pushing the power button until the ps3 turned off. When I tried to turn it back on I couldn’t. I couldn’t even reset the display setting.

Somewhere I’ve read that if you leave it running for an hour, then let it cool for half an hour, it might work. I did leave it running for 20 minutes and when I turned back on the ps3 boot normally. When it’s warm it seems to work.

I stopped testing it, out of fear making the things worse.

I think that the GPU has a problem. Is anyone facing a similar problem?

I forgot to mention that I don’t have an AV cable to test it. I have ordered a component cable from eBay but Ι won’t have it at least for a month.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you sure it's not the hdd? the hdd contains a file called xregistry.sys if on a slim. if it's not, then that's probably not the problem. anyway, it contains video configurations or any user configuration, so it may be corrupted. format the hdd on the pc to get rid of that file completely.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think that file is on the hdd with later phats and superslims as well. any nor or emmc console that is.

rysluoive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
you sure it's not the hdd? the hdd contains a file called xregistry.sys if on a slim. if it's not, then that's probably not the problem. anyway, it contains video configurations or any user configuration, so it may be corrupted. format the hdd on the pc to get rid of that file completely.
Thank you very much for your reply! I will try it. But if it is the HDD why it is working when it is warm?
To be honest I hope that you are right. I already have a 1TB HDD for it.
I don't want to mess with GPU reflow or rebalding.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, but it's something to try. my first ps3 ylod within eight minutes of turning it on, so I returned it. since then, I've always bought slims, and I've never had a problem with them. I did have a gpu problem with my old xenon 360 though. that failed.

my first ps3 was a launch model, and I had swap magic 3.8 ready for it before all this awesome stuff came out for the ps3. those launch models are just as shitty as the xenons of the 360, which are also launch models.

rysluoive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't know, but it's something to try. my first ps3 ylod within eight minutes of turning it on, so I returned it. since then, I've always bought slims, and I've never had a problem with them. I did have a gpu problem with my old xenon 360 though. that failed.

my first ps3 was a launch model, and I had swap magic 3.8 ready for it before all this awesome stuff came out for the ps3. those launch models are just as shitty as the xenons of the 360, which are also launch models.
Hello!
I've decided to buy another PS3. Do you know if the PS3 CECH-3004A have any problems? I 've found one in very good price and I am thinking to buy it.

KamazasBl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have exactly the same problem and tried everything.

It's CECHK-03 Fat.

I was looking into buying capacitors and resoldering them and also HDMI plug. But I noticed artifacting occuring only when I'm wobbling the console, but not when wobbling the HDMI port.

So i think either capacitors or reflow. Since ordering them takes a month to arrive, I think I'll try to resolder the GPU. But I've also read that lead free solder is not as what people thought could be as the melting temperature for it is above 230 degrees celcius.

If anyone can advice, would be highly appreciated.

Also Bump.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.