Hacking PS3 game backup installation questions

purrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to do my research but I'm all mixed up. Aside from most of the YouTube tutorials being really really bad, it's also hard to tell what techniques are antiquated and what's changed drastically.

I'm using PSNStuff to download packages, installing and loading those RAP files with ReactPSN. All good.

My concern is how I'm going to load games that are beyond the FAT32 limitation. I understand I can use FTP, and that this shouldn't require splitting the packages, however I don't believe my 60GB Fat PS3 will have enough storage space for some of the bigger games. I understand I can use MultiMan to read NTFS drives, does that include game backups or is that just to read other media off those drives? Should I stick with FAT32?

I read somewhere that if you format your drive as FAT32 that you still can't install games to that drive, I presume that's not true... if I have a FAT32 formatted drive plugged in, will "Install Package Files" prompt me to install onto the external drive? Or is that something only achieved with MultiMan?

It'd be even easier to load all my games to an external drive using my computer, PKG or ISO, and then just plugging that drive in via USB... Does that work? I recall someone on YouTube doing that with a USB-SATA adapter, but again, I dunno if this is still the most efficient way to do things. I'm using Ferrox if that matters, I can switch to a different CFW if it helps with this process at all.

Just for the record, I found the CFW / game loading process on my Wii U a DREAM compared to the PS3. Even though ps3hax was very easy, I find the game loading a little tedious.

D

Deleted User

Fat32 for USB make a Gamez folder - file method - for iso use NTFS

Games 4gb bigger files go to internal hdd0:\GAMES

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always used ripped (file format) games on my internal 500gb and external FAT32 drive since the first JB surfaced back on 3.41 years ago. Never bothered with NTFS, split files, as never needed to switch to it.

Games files larger than 4gb (fat32 limitation) e.g Nier can still upload via FTP and work from the Internal drive, just not the external.

Everything else, is either copied to the external drive or internal depending on the game.

All depends on user needs and what you want out of it.

Last edited by Thelonewolf88,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Just happened to have a 500 GB sata3 hitachi hdd around my desk getting dusty and the second hand ps3 was seriously dirty. So I did a crafty evening, dismatled the thing down to pieces, cleaned everything, changed thermal paste to a professional silver one and mounted up the 500 GB hdd. From CPU/RSX 62/73 Cº to 30 minutes into GTAV at CPU/RSX 50/53 Cº and doubled the hdd space.

Reactions: Deleted User

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

I'm with you that the PS3 game loading process is a nightmare compared to the Wii U. I have been trying a lot of different game install methods over the past week, and so far the best method I have found is to use an external drive formatted to FAT32. You can download games from various sites that are in the "ps3_game" folder format. Most of these downloaded games in this format do not contain files larger than the 4GB FAT32 limit. Any games that do have files larger than 4GB's, I use PS3splitter on the PC to split those files FAT32 compatible sizes. I created a folder on the 1TB external FAT32 drive called "GAMES." I transfer the ps3_game to the GAMES folder on the external drive and multiman/webman see it, and launch just fine. However, there have been a few games that hang on a black screen.. I have fixed this by playing with some of the game launch settings in Multiman. Still can't get "The Last of Us" to load in Multiman, Webman, Irisman, etc... So if you happen to download The Last of Us, and find a way to make it work, let me know. I'm on Rebug 4.81/Cobra by the way. Hope this information helps.

Last edited by xpoverzion,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Still can't get "The Last of Us" to load in Multiman, Webman, Irisman, etc... So if you happen to download The Last of Us, and find a way to make it work, let me know. I'm on Rebug 4.81/Cobra by the way. Hope this information helps.

Geez I'm about to get this one to test but it is so big (around 40 gbs). I'll do my thingies and come with the results along the day.

Thelonewolf88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ Sometimes, not tried it with the latest MM for a long time, is to have a game disc inside and checked in MM settings for the game.

Last of us worked for me (some years back) using MM and an internal installed version using a game disc.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Geez I'm about to get this one to test but it is so big (around 40 gbs). I'll do my thingies and come with the results along the day.
I have downloaded 3 or 4 different versions of The Last of Us. approx. 35GB's for each download. Can't get any of them to work. They all hang on a black screen with "The Last of Us" graphic in the lower right portion of the screen. If you can get it to launch successfully, I want to know how you did it;). I'm on a 120GB CECH 2001A Slim with Rebug 4.81. I upgraded the internal hdd to 500GB, and have tried installing TLoU to the internal, and 1TB external drive. No success. From what I have read, that game is notorious for having a lot of glitchy problems. There are a lot of forums out there with people experiencing the same black screen hanging issues I have seen. And a lot of others who have experienced this loading issue have OFW and a purchased copy of the game.

mustafag32g

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have downloaded 3 or 4 different versions of The Last of Us. approx. 35GB's for each download. Can't get any of them to work. They all hang on a black screen with "The Last of Us" graphic in the lower right portion of the screen. If you can get it to launch successfully, I want to know how you did it;). I'm on a 120GB CECH 2001A Slim with Rebug 4.81. I upgraded the internal hdd to 500GB, and have tried installing TLoU to the internal, and 1TB external drive. No success. From what I have read, that game is notorious for having a lot of glitchy problems. There are a lot of forums out there with people experiencing the same black screen hanging issues I have seen. And a lot of others who have experienced this loading issue have OFW and a purchased copy of the game.

the game must be on internal hdd to work + set use bd emu and remember to have a disc in ps3

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
the game must be on internal hdd to work + set use bd emu and remember to have a disc in ps3
I have tried it on the internal drive with bd emu enabled. The only thing I don't have is the disc for the game. I installed CFW with the understanding that I would not need the discs for any games? Anybody out there that has gotten a download of The Last of Us to work on CFW without a game disc? Maybe i misinterpreted your response. When you say that a disc has to be in the BD drive, do you mean any disc, or does it have to be the actually game disc?

D

Deleted User

Try

Just "RESTORE DEFAULT SETTINGS" (this is done in ps3 xmb menu, settings category)
(NOT restore ps3 system or you will format your hdd)

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have tried it on the internal drive with bd emu enabled. The only thing I don't have is the disc for the game. I installed CFW with the understanding that I would not need the discs for any games? Anybody out there that has gotten a download of The Last of Us to work on CFW without a game disc? Maybe i misinterpreted your response. When you say that a disc has to be in the BD drive, do you mean any disc, or does it have to be the actually game disc?

Any disc, personally i bought pes 2009 for 0.50 euro cent :D

About splitting, aint it better to use ntfs, as partition or as second hd, ntfs alows files bigger then 4gb

Though internal should also alow files bigger then 4gb, from my understanding

Last edited by defrb,

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Any disc, personally i bought pes 2009 for 0.50 euro cent :D

About splitting, aint it better to use ntfs, as partition or as second hd, ntfs alows files bigger then 4gb

Though internal should also alow files bigger then 4gb, from my understanding
Looks like I will have to pick up a PS3 disc of some sort. I'll give that a try.

I initially went with an NTFS external drive, but didn't like how I had to run prepNTFS everytime I wanted to see the contents of the external drive. It's a little extra work to get everything installed and working on the FAT32 format, but with FAT32, I can eliminate the prepNTFS step. Call me lazy, but I just want to be able to browse and launch games off an external hdd, from the XMB, without any additional steps involved.

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks like I will have to pick up a PS3 disc of some sort. I'll give that a try.

I initially went with an NTFS external drive, but didn't like how I had to run prepNTFS everytime I wanted to see the contents of the external drive. It's a little extra work to get everything installed and working on the FAT32 format, but with FAT32, I can eliminate the prepNTFS step. Call me lazy, but I just want to be able to browse and launch games off an external hdd, from the XMB, without any additional steps involved.

Same here, just fat32, you can always hook up a small 500gb hd in ntfs or just install it to the internal hd. Bought an 500gb internal for like 35$, Not many games have files over 4gb.

Last edited by defrb,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I prefer NTFS for ISO use.. It is much easier than Fat32 for a Gamez Folder. I had a Fat32 for few years until ISO use NTFS and I am happy with it. Never come back to Fat32 for a Gamez folder, ever!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans