PS3 controller on PC

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by TheGoldenKing, Dec 27, 2009.

Dec 27, 2009

PS3 controller on PC by TheGoldenKing at 11:27 PM (1,025 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. TheGoldenKing
    OP

Newcomer TheGoldenKing Member

United States
    I'm currently looking into buying a controller for my pc, and preferably I'm going to pick a PS3 controller. I know there is software out, but I don't know which one to choose. I'm currently running windows 7 and Vista on my other computer, I would like them both t be able to use the PS3 controller. But which programs/method should I use or is there a guide up? I tried looking but I'm not sure. I also heard that some methods can harm your usb ports/devices. So which is the safest method that is guaranteed to work? Thanks.

2. Playgame38

Newcomer Playgame38 Advanced Member

United States
    Works great for me! I use the motion game program for my controller.

3. bialy_gibson

Member bialy_gibson GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Go for X360 gamepad. PS3 gamepad works only when wired and buttons don't work in analog mode. What is more, the drivers caused problems with charging my Creative Zen player and issues with other USB devices.

4. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    something important to note, the current drivers for the PS3 game pad only work on a 32bit OS.

I take that back, I didn't know motion joy did x64.

5. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    While a slight pain in the ass and has ads built into the application, MotionInJoy does work nicely once configured and also handles 360 controller "emulation" for games that rely on a 360 controller for it's controller support.

And I don't recommend a 360 controller for a PC at all unless you're using alternative drivers as Microsoft's drivers lack any customization options which makes it simply impossible to configure it for use with some games afaik.

6. bialy_gibson

Member bialy_gibson GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    Didn't know about theese 360 gamepad issues with customization. TheGoldenKing maybe you should try some pc dedicated gamepads.

7. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I use My PS3 controllers with windows 7 x64 with MotionInJoy and that supports everything, including analogue triggers and Six Axis, all over Bluetooth. Would recommend, just remember to repair with PS3 afterwards.