Hacking PS3/CFW Shutting Down Issue while Playing PS2

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys so Ive had my ps3 slim cfw'd for about 2 weeks now and its been going swell; playing games; movies without the Cinavia bullcrap but just recently I've been having an issue with the ps3 shutting down with no sound or any indications. The standby red light is gone and I have to press the power button then the red light switches on back to standby. Ive speculated it was maybe overheating and so I laid the slim upright for better airflow only to get the same issue once more. I'm not sure what to do since before I had the cfw I would play extensive ps3 gaming sessions to no shutdown whatsoever. Maybe it could be nothing to do with the cfw but it happens only when playing a PS2 Game, I tried playing blurays and ps3 titles and couldn't replicate the issue. Can anyone help or has had similar experience. Thanks and much appreciated.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the exact same issue with ps2 games using the latest rebug cfw. Ps3 games i can play perfectly for hours at a time with zero issues but if i play a ps2 game it plays fine for about 10 mins then the fan goes crazy for a few seconds then the ps3 switches off.

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, glad I'm not the only one :) However my cfw is Cex Ferrox. It must be something to do with the emulation then. I was already starting to think that was PS3 #2 to be chucked to the can.

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry to revive a thread so old, I'm having the same issue with my CECH 80GB fat PS3 and I didn't want to create a new thread just to ask the same thing.

I found a guy on reddit saying the issue might come from an old hdmi protocol that sony used on the ps3, that doesn't work well with newer TVs (specially 4K-capable ones), thus making the console crash whenever it tries to upscale ps2 games.

I'm using the latest Evilnat CFW, and tested both official PS2 Classic games and ISO files inside the internal HDD.

When I set the PS2 image to "turned off" or "full screen" (which I believe are 480i or 480p), all games run for about 5 minutes then crash.

If I use the upscale settings to "normal", it crashes almost instantly.

Also, the console isn't heating, and I can play both PS1 and PS3 games normally without issues. It seems to be something really related to the upscale settings or the internal PS2 emulator.

I've tested with an old monitor and a different hdmi cable, but the results are the same.
I couldn't test with the OFW and with component cables yet, so if someone sees this thread in the future and is facing the same issue, I'd recommend doing these tests to see if PS2 games work properly.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to revive a thread so old, I'm having the same issue with my CECH 80GB fat PS3 and I didn't want to create a new thread just to ask the same thing.

I found a guy on reddit saying the issue might come from an old hdmi protocol that sony used on the ps3, that doesn't work well with newer TVs (specially 4K-capable ones), thus making the console crash whenever it tries to upscale ps2 games.

I'm using the latest Evilnat CFW, and tested both official PS2 Classic games and ISO files inside the internal HDD.

When I set the PS2 image to "turned off" or "full screen" (which I believe are 480i or 480p), all games run for about 5 minutes then crash.

If I use the upscale settings to "normal", it crashes almost instantly.

Also, the console isn't heating, and I can play both PS1 and PS3 games normally without issues. It seems to be something really related to the upscale settings or the internal PS2 emulator.

I've tested with an old monitor and a different hdmi cable, but the results are the same.
I couldn't test with the OFW and with component cables yet, so if someone sees this thread in the future and is facing the same issue, I'd recommend doing these tests to see if PS2 games work properly.
Does the console stays on after it "crashes"?
If it's a resolution issue games wouldn't display on your tv, so there might something with your PS3, or the PS2 hardware side of it. Which leads me to my next question.. Is your PS3 backwards compatible?

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does the console stays on after it "crashes"?
If it's a resolution issue games wouldn't display on your tv, so there might something with your PS3, or the PS2 hardware side of it. Which leads me to my next question.. Is your PS3 backwards compatible?
No. The screen goes black, and the console blinks a red light until I turn it off by pressing the power button.

Also, I don't think it really matters if it is BC because I'm trying to play normal PS2 Classics games, that are available for all ps3 models

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and the console blinks a red light until I turn it off by pressing the power button.
"Blinks a red light" on the the tv display or on the PS3 power led?
Again, does the green light stays ON on the power led, or does it turn to red or no light at all? If so, display problems shouldn't make the ps3 power off or lose power by itself..
Also, I don't think it really matters if it is BC because I'm trying to play normal PS2 Classics games, that are available for all ps3 models
Ok. Was just wondering if you have one the PS2 hardware inside it could be causing problems in some way.. Though until you try with other cables (hdmi, component or composite), and with another tv..

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"Blinks a red light" on the the tv display or on the PS3 power led?
Again, does the green light stays ON on the power led, or does it turn to red or no light at all? If so, display problems shouldn't make the ps3 power off or lose power by itself..

Ok. Was just wondering if you have one the PS2 hardware inside it could be causing problems in some way.. Though until you try with other cables (hdmi, component or composite), and with another tv..
The blinking red light is, of course, the power led on the PS3. It keeps blinking until I turn it off. This normally occurs when the console is overheating, which is the reason most people have pointed out on internet forums and reddit over the years whenever someone comes up with this same issue.

Although, I'm 100% sure (and I can't stress this enough) that the console IS NOT overheating. I can play PS3 and PS1 games for HOURS and it never turned off.

I've changed the thermal paste and cleaned the console about 3 weeks ago, so it's running like charm, except when playing PS2 games. One guy on reddit said this happens when you try to plug your console in modern TVs, because of some weird hdmi protocol the ps3 uses that can't handle 4K TVs very well in some cases when it tries to upscale the ps2 image.

This CAN be related to the issue, because when I disable the upscaling, all ps2 games (iso, custom pkg and official ps2 classics) run for a little bit longer, but the console ends up shutting down anyway.

Seriously, I've tried a lot of stuff: different TVs that aren't 4K, different HDMI cable and all possible forms of running ps2 games on the console as I said earlier.

The only 2 things that I couldn't test yet was with composite cable (since I don't have one at the moment) and with the OFW, because I'm on Evilnat 4.89 and I'm not willing to risk my jailbreak just to run ps2 games.

ThePSGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The blinking red light is, of course, the power led on the PS3. It keeps blinking until I turn it off. This normally occurs when the console is overheating, which is the reason most people have pointed out on internet forums and reddit over the years whenever someone comes up with this same issue.

Although, I'm 100% sure (and I can't stress this enough) that the console IS NOT overheating. I can play PS3 and PS1 games for HOURS and it never turned off.

I've changed the thermal paste and cleaned the console about 3 weeks ago, so it's running like charm, except when playing PS2 games. One guy on reddit said this happens when you try to plug your console in modern TVs, because of some weird hdmi protocol the ps3 uses that can't handle 4K TVs very well in some cases when it tries to upscale the ps2 image.

This CAN be related to the issue, because when I disable the upscaling, all ps2 games (iso, custom pkg and official ps2 classics) run for a little bit longer, but the console ends up shutting down anyway.

Seriously, I've tried a lot of stuff: different TVs that aren't 4K, different HDMI cable and all possible forms of running ps2 games on the console as I said earlier.

The only 2 things that I couldn't test yet was with composite cable (since I don't have one at the moment) and with the OFW, because I'm on Evilnat 4.89 and I'm not willing to risk my jailbreak just to run ps2 games.
Hello,

Sorry to bump this old thread but I was having this exact issue years ago and I never found anything online that managed to fix it.

My PS3 is not overheating at all (I have checked the temp and tried running it at 100% fan speed), I have reinstalled the REBUG CFW multiple times and the console can play the most demanding games (GTA V, The Last of Us) for hours without shutting down.

Have you found anything or did you just gave up like I did years ago?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...