Hacking PS3 CFW advice on HDD upgrade

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry for Necro posting, but can I do all of this (what was instructed) and go back to regular PS3 factory settings on either a Super Slim or the Regular Slim? I just want to be able to switch to a 1.75 TB Hard Drive and use the PS3 without anything else.

In short, can I mod it JUST to get my Hard Drive to be recognized by the PS3, then unmod it so that I won't lose access to PSN?
I need any info I can get. Thanks
Thanks!

If you don’t want to mod your system and the only purpose is to get the HDD to work. You don’t need to mod it. You just need to physically make sure it fits. 9.5mm or smaller in physical height size.

jovialjavelin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you're joking or not. It fits. It just refuses to work because it's 2 TB, but the work around that's agreed upon online is:
1) Mod
2) Flash back to 4.55 or 4.53
3) Install 1.75 TB HDD (or a 2TB that's been formatted to appear that way so it'll be accepted)
4) After it's installed and accepted by the PS3, update the Firmware...OR
5) Un-Mod then Update the PS3

In short, Sony has made it complicated to use a 1.75 TB or 2 TB drive. It's possible to make a 2TB work as long as you format it as 1.75 TB (but only if you follow those steps). What I want to make sure is that I don't brick my console when updating it back to "normal" *or* get banned from PSN (though I'm not pirating, etc. I own everything I have, it's just that the game data being installed is *huge* since I have a lot of PS3 games both in Blu-Ray and PSN).

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you're joking or not. It fits. It just refuses to work because it's 2 TB, but the work around that's agreed upon online is:
1) Mod
2) Flash back to 4.55 or 4.53
3) Install 1.75 TB HDD (or a 2TB that's been formatted to appear that way so it'll be accepted)
4) After it's installed and accepted by the PS3, update the Firmware...OR
5) Un-Mod then Update the PS3

In short, Sony has made it complicated to use a 1.75 TB or 2 TB drive. It's possible to make a 2TB work as long as you format it as 1.75 TB (but only if you follow those steps). What I want to make sure is that I don't brick my console when updating it back to "normal" *or* get banned from PSN (though I'm not pirating, etc. I own everything I have, it's just that the game data being installed is *huge* since I have a lot of PS3 games both in Blu-Ray and PSN).

try it mate. I used to have a 2TB in my PS3. However, I never hacked it, then unpacked it. It's been a while since I've touched it. (It sits under the sofa). However, being banned online, only happens if you game mod. My console has never been banned and you're talking when everyone had access to PSN including the dev networks etc. - If you install the HDD as a new drive at any point; remember to reinstall the firmware because it will error saying there is no firmware on the HDD.

However, My tutorial worked previously, and hasn't changed.

jovialjavelin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it! For the Super Slim, I'd need to Mod it so I can downgrade the Firmware (it won't accept the HDD, it keeps saying "Not Supported" and to insert a hard drive that's supported). That's what I meant.

So I shouldn't worry about being banned since I'm not modding/hacking any games, etc.

D

Deleted User

Got it! For the Super Slim, I'd need to Mod it so I can downgrade the Firmware (it won't accept the HDD, it keeps saying "Not Supported" and to insert a hard drive that's supported). That's what I meant.

So I shouldn't worry about being banned since I'm not modding/hacking any games, etc.

You cannot mod/downgrade super slims like that. Can only cfw cecha01 - cech2501b April 2011 and prior

So cech2501B post aprill 2011 - cech4k models cannot cfw.

ma3str0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Myanmar (Burma)
Sorry if i hijacking this post, but i have a simulator situation.

I have a PS3 Slim (not super slim) with the latest REBUG CFW on the internal Seagate 1TB HDD and im about to buy (a used) 2TB Samsung ST2000LM003 (which is 9.5mm, so it fits) to replace the 1TB seagate.
I dont mind losing the game saves or any back from my current internal Seagate 1TB HDD.

What is the easiest process for installing successfully the 2TB Samsung ST2000LM003 on a PS3 slim with a REBUG CFW?

Also, when i will have successfully install the 2TB Samsung, can i just swap the 1tb Seagate and play the games that this drive has?
Is this swapping drives on the same PS3 conslole with the same CFW possible?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I ended up downgrading ps3 hard drive and using a nas to store iso

I have a synology nas, is it possible to play the iso or folder games, that is stored on the nas directly through ethernet, without FTPing the games on the internal HDD of PS3?

Last edited by ma3str0,
D

Deleted User

Sorry if i hijacking this post, but i have a simulator situation.

I have a PS3 Slim (not super slim) with the latest REBUG CFW on the internal Seagate 1TB HDD and im about to buy (a used) 2TB Samsung ST2000LM003 (which is 9.5mm, so it fits) to replace the 1TB seagate.
I dont mind losing the game saves or any back from my current internal Seagate 1TB HDD.

What is the easiest process for installing successfully the 2TB Samsung ST2000LM003 on a PS3 slim with a REBUG CFW?

Also, when i will have successfully install the 2TB Samsung, can i just swap the 1tb Seagate and play the games that this drive has?
Is this swapping drives on the same PS3 conslole with the same CFW possible?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a synology nas, is it possible to play the iso or folder games, that is stored on the nas directly through ethernet, without FTPing the games on the internal HDD of PS3?

1.5TB is max on ps3 with newest firmware - 1.75tb trick out there too. Older firmwares accepted 2tb.

Reactions: ma3str0

ma3str0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Myanmar (Burma)
1.5TB is max on ps3 with newest firmware - 1.75tb trick out there too. Older firmwares accepted 2tb.

Thanks for the answer.

Which is the process, of making the trick out, so I can use 1,75Tb of a 2tb HDD on a Rebug 4.84.2?

Is there any info on that?

Is swapping HDDs (that have been previous installed on the console) possible with Rebug?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

google for ps3netsrv

it's on https://synocommunity.com/packages, which is a 3rd party app store for synology.
I didn't use that one, but it's probably the easiest.

Reactions: ma3str0

taunnt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That process is correct. -

1. Download the latest Rebug from rebug.me. 4.81.2
  2. Rename the PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP
  3. Put it on your FAT32 formatted Flash Drive under PS3\UPDATE
  4. REMOVE any original game disk from the drive and make sure NO game is mounted
  5. Plug in the Flash Drive, go to System Update and Update via Storage Media. Make sure you DON'T Update via Internet or else you would risk installing OFW >3.55!
  6. Go to Package Manager > Install Package Files > PS3 System Storage and install Rebug Toolbox
  7. Launch it under the Game column
  8. Go to Utilities and change Toggle QA Flag to Enabled. This is to ensure easier and safer downgrading
  9. Go to Selector and change System Mode to Rebug, this will activate the built-in spoofer (if needed) to prevent accidental updates to OFW >3.55 and allow PSN access (with ban risk)
  10. (Optional) Change XMB Operation Mode to Retail and Debug Menu Type to CEX QA to ensure you have the Retail menus instead of the Debug menus which you probably won't need
  11. Once installed successfully and you see "install package files". Power off and remove your HDD. Re-insert your new HDD, then press and hold the power button. It will beep, then beep again and power off. Press and hold power button again, until it beeps, then double beeps. Plug usb cable in to controller & console and go down to system update. Make sure the USB is still plugged in and this will re-install the CFW 4.81.2 on your new HDD.
  12. Install multiman and reactpsn and start playing your backup games.
First off I know this post is old. Second does this still work? I tried the 4.55 version that's also on here and it keeps freezing at 99%. I tried different 4.55 cfw's. All the same that's after reformatting the drive. The above do you have to stay on RB 4.81 in order for this to work? Or can you update to 4.89 cfw? Thanks and again I know the post is old. I have two ssd drives. One is 1tb the other 2tb. I was going to partition it to 1.5 and try this.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off I know this post is old. Second does this still work? I tried the 4.55 version that's also on here and it keeps freezing at 99%. I tried different 4.55 cfw's. All the same that's after reformatting the drive. The above do you have to stay on RB 4.81 in order for this to work? Or can you update to 4.89 cfw? Thanks and again I know the post is old. I have two ssd drives. One is 1tb the other 2tb. I was going to partition it to 1.5 and try this.
yes, but it's not that complicated. you swap drives like you would officially. you only need to reinstall the firmware if you have a nor console. emmc and nand store the software on the chips, but emmc will ask if you want to move the firmware to the hdd iirc if it detects an hdd. however, you don't have an emmc if you're on cfw.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The process I mentioned from a few years a go is still the same process for a console that is currently on OFW below 3.55. - The process installs CFW & upgrades your HDD. If you’re not technical just follow the process. If you’re more savvy, it doesn’t matter which order you swap your HDD. You could install the new drive first. Reinstall your current OFW version, then update. - If you’re on CFW already, just insert your new HDD and make sure your pulsate file is the same firmware that you already have installed. IE rebug on x version. - 1.5TB is the max size you can have on PS3 but you have to do some trickery to get it to fully work. I don’t think from memory partitioning the drive is correct since the PS3 formats the drive with its own partition table. I might be wrong in that part since it’s been a good few years since I’ve reviewed this. I just use a 1TB SSD with either extended external or network share from my Synology - This is the best option for me. - If you’re facing issues reinstalling firmware, boot in to recovery and install that way. The PS3 sometimes will refuse to reinstall if it is on the same version and I had to do this quite a few times from memory when I used to use rebug. Good luck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out