PS3 60gb question

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by tylermetal, Sep 13, 2009.

Sep 13, 2009

PS3 60gb question by tylermetal at 5:43 AM (754 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. tylermetal
    OP

Newcomer tylermetal Newbie

United States
    I'm thinking of buying a used 60gb PS3. Is it true that firmware updates can brick it from playing ps2 games? Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Sony, if they wanted to, could release an update that stops the PS2 functionality of the old SKUs.
    In my opinion they won't, its a stupid action and in the long run would cause them a lot of problems.

A firmware could also be released that bricks the console, but it would be an accident.

Don't worry about Sony stopping PS2 support from the old SKUs, it probably will never happen and if it does I suspect Sony will be at the end of a huge hate campaign.

3. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    If Sony ever even considered that, they would get into A LOT of lawsuits. They advertised the PS2 capabilities as a feature we payed for. It would be illegal for them to do that.

4. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Yes, I think the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation would pretty much assure that Sony would be facing significant fiscal, legal, and public relations damages if they did something that brazen.

But then again, they've proved to be pretty *expletive* stupid before. [​IMG]

5. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    No chance in hell.

The only thing from it stopping playing PS2 games is well... the thing breaking. Every day before I go to bed I pray to god my launch PS3 never breaks down.