PS1/2 Ps2 softmod?

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I finaly got my hacked ps2 what apps do u guys recommened? I know how to launch the apps off the usb but how do i add them to the menu? Also can I order how the apps look on the fcmb menu? I was really lucky that the ps2 could read my 32 gb usb.
Sounds like you have a PS2 phat with FreeMcBoot [version 1.8] installed, yes? If so, you can add "shortcuts" to the fmcb menu for apps that are on your USB stick.

Navigate to the Free McBoot Configurator option on the fmcb menu and click "X."
Click, "O" and proceed with the default button configuration.

**Free McBoot Settings screen**

Click down on the D-Pad until you reach "Configure OSDSYS options..." (On-Screen-Display System)
Click "O"

**OSD Settings screen**

Click down on the D-Pad until you reach "Configure Item 1 : ________"
Note that the _______ will be replaced with the first item on your fmcb menu screen after "Browser" and "System Configuration"
(in my case, it's "uLaunchELF")
Click right on the D-Pad and note that the items on your fmcb menu screen appear in order.
(uLaunchELF, ESR GUI, Open PS2 Loader, HD Loader, etc.)
Continue to click right and note that "Free McBoot Configurator" is Item 100
(you can also click left instead if you don't feel like counting to 100)
Navigate to an empty Item (let's use Item 50: ) and press, "O"

**Item 50 Settings screen**

Click down on the D-Pad to " Path1:" and press "O"
mc0:/ is the Memory Card slot closest to the edge
mc1:/ is the Memory Card next to it, and
mass:/ is your USB drive
Click down on the D-pad to "mass:/" and press "O"
(at this point, let's assume that you are trying to add a SNES emulator shortcut to your fmcb menu screen via an SNES emulator app on your USB stick.)
Navigate through your USB stick's folder hierarchy and find the "snes_emu.elf"
Click, "O" to set

**Item 50 Settings screen** ..again.

"Path1: " should now have a path to the emu located on your USB stick.
Click up on the D-Pad to "Name:" and click, "O"
Use the onscreen keypad to name this shortcut what you would like it to appear on your fmcb menu screen.
Let's use the word, "test" (remember, "O" is okay; not "X")
Hit Triangle to return

**OSD Settings screen**

Hit "Triangle"

**Free McBoot Settings screen**

Click down on the D-Pad to "Save CNF to MC0" ...or MC1 depending on where your fmcb mc is located and press, "O"
There will be red text text up above:
Saved mc_:/SYS-CONF/FREEMCB.CNF (where _, is either 0 or 1)
Click the D-Pad down to "PS2 Browser (FMCB Restart) and press, "O"

There should now be an extra item in your fmcb menu titled, "test."
Press, "X" and voila.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
From experience...

1. I've used USB drives ranging from 128 mb to 16gb and they work fine as long as it is formatted as fat32.
2. NES emulator of choice is FCEU. SNES and Geneis emus don't run full speed.
3. OPL can be used via external HDD(no power supply needed) and USB sticks (I use a 16gb kingston)
4. If you have a friend who has a modded PS2, you can install FMCB in that PS2 for use on your own Ps2 (as long as they are the same region and model)
5. Problems with USBadvance and OPL are usually fixed by defragmenting the drive(or for USB sticks, format and copy as it is faster)
6. You can use Codebreaker 10 from USB/HDD on slims via hotkey or uElf.
7. You can install apps from USB(fat32) via uElf.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
I bought the ARMax EVO years ago just for the ability to install game saves to the memory from the USB stick that comes with ARMax, but it never worked. The PS2 never recognized the stick was even plugged in. I have tried several size sticks but none have worked, from 256kb to 16Gb. Any idea?

Format your USB drive in Fat32.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my experience:

GB emus require a partition on the installed hdd.

Also, I FreeMcBoot'd my phat with a PS1 save game exploit (namely, Power Move Pro Wresting.) Recently, one of the boys tried to play this game and the PS2 launched uLaunch and they went all, "oh, shit!" when the text gui appeared.

Apparently, it's a good idea to NOT run the PS1 game in the drive that was used to install FreeMcBoot. Conversely, if your PS2 was FreeMcBooted in a similar fashion, don't be surprised if someone accidentally tries to run the exact game that was used for the exploit, etc., etc., etc.

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Okay I just bought a network adaptor for 20 dollars, what kind of brand of pata hard drives should I buy and whats the best loader? OPl or hdloader?
I guess I would probably go for a 100-300 gb hard drive.

Okay, I might be screwed, didnt know there was a startup disc, do I need it?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you opt for a Seagate or Maxtor (who are now the same parent company) you'll be good. I use 200GB Maxtor's.

If you're referring to the software that came with the Network Adapter, then no you don't need it for the softmod. Regarding OPL and HDLoader....you're better off having both available to you as some games run best (or only run) on one or the other. OPL is superior almost all the time but sometimes you may need HDLoader.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all right seagate and I heard you need to format the hdd to ps2 format? how do we do that without the disc?
I'm pretty sure the PS2 will detect it on startup and allow you to format it from there. For a hard drive bigger than 140 GB or so, it's better to format it with a PC using WinHiip. For this, you will need either a computer with an internal IDE cable/power supply available or an IDE to USB adapter with a separate power supply.

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure the PS2 will detect it on startup and allow you to format it from there. For a hard drive bigger than 140 GB or so, it's better to format it with a PC using WinHiip. For this, you will need either a computer with an internal IDE cable/power supply available or an IDE to USB adapter with a separate power supply.
Wait, is an usb enclosure the samething?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@kirbymaster101 Canada Computers will have the IDE to USB adapters. I have a question, actually... where did you find your PS2 for $50? New or used?

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I love High Tech place near dufferin and bloor toronto? IT HAS EVERYTHING a gamer could want, consoles raning form n64 to wii u, very cheap used games like final fanatsy 13 being 15 and final fanatsy 13-2 being 19.99. The store doesnt care, they sell mature games without id. and they have like 8 ps2 network adaptors in the front 0_0. And they also sell gba games, although most dont come with the box. You can pretty much guarantee anything old is there. That's also where I bought my official ps2 component cables.

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love High Tech place near dufferin and bloor toronto? IT HAS EVERYTHING a gamer could want, consoles raning form n64 to wii u, very cheap used games like final fanatsy 13 being 15 and final fanatsy 13-2 being 19.99. The store doesnt care, they sell mature games without id. and they have like 8 ps2 network adaptors in the front 0_0. And they also sell gba games, although most dont come with the box. You can pretty much guarantee anything old is there. That's also where I bought my official ps2 component cables.
Do they sell brand new PS2s for $50 at Hi-Tech?

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Good and bad news. Bad news I got a western digital and just found out it doesnt fit a ps2 network adaptor. good news, I just bought a screwdriver set and modded the network adaptor so now My 160gb western digital does fit it :D. Any games you guys recommend? also is there like a ps2db like how there is a wii for covers, discs, etc?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, i think my "high tech" is not atually like the franchise just one store.
I assumed this is the store you meant? Sorry to keep bugging you about that one detail, but whether they'd sell the system for $50 new, or used, is what I want to know... I'm currently talking to someone on kijiji selling their used PS2 for $30... but IF this Hi-Tech place sells it brand new @ $50, I will simply go there and buy one.

kirbymaster101

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I assumed this is the store you meant? Sorry to keep bugging you about that one detail, but whether they'd sell the system for $50 new, or used, is what I want to know... I'm currently talking to someone on kijiji selling their used PS2 for $30... but IF this Hi-Tech place sells it brand new @ $50, I will simply go there and buy one.
Yup, thats the place. Honestly, its used so get the one at kijiji. But, if you ever need of anything quickly go to high-tech, they'll have it :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: