Ps2 Soft Mod (Urgent)

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by ps2craze7, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2011

Ps2 Soft Mod (Urgent) by ps2craze7 at 6:55 AM (7,324 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. ps2craze7
    OP

Newcomer ps2craze7 Member

United States
    Okay. First time poster here. I'm basically PS2 illiterate when it comes to modding. I have soft modded other systems but I'm confused about the PS2. I want to soft mod it of course.

I got my PS2 on Christmas so it's the newest one. It's a Slim.

Model- SCPH-90001
    Browser- 1.40
    CD Player- 2.00
    PlayStation Driver- 2.00
    DVD Player- 3.11U

What exactly do I need to soft mod my ps2 for playing backup games?

I have searched but everything seems to be different with everyone's answers.

I need the simplest way there is.

Do I need Magic Swap and the Flip-Top? What version of Magic Swap if I need it?

Hope someone can answer pretty quickly so I can order whatever I need [​IMG] Thanks in advance.

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Is there an external power supply? If not, it's really the latest version => no Free McBoot. You can either install a modchip(not sure, i don't care about chips), or use swap magic. With swap magic(only a certain version), you can boot any homebrew you want, which should include ESR and Open PS2 Loader. ESR gets you backups without swap trick, Open PS2 Loader gets you game loading via network. (and swap magic alone gives you backup loading with the swap trick...)

3. geeb2002

Newcomer geeb2002 Member

United States
    Read up on freemcboot and Open ps2 Loader. Both are first links in a google search. Then you can do quite a bit without opening your ps2.

4. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    SCPH-90001 is indeed the newest PS2 with the built in power supply, half glossy type ones. Freemcboot would not work. There is a exception to these system with date code 8a and some 8b.

Your only option that I'm aware of is swap magic and modchips. Chips are a bit hard to install on these systems, you will have to solder to the legs.

I'm a hardware mod person, so I have no clue on which swap magic to use or if flip-top fits the 9000x series. You could also use magic keys or open up the system to tape down the sensors.

5. easycrashing

Member easycrashing GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It only has two sensors to block to use with swap magic.

They aren't even in the inside, so you don't void the warranty blocking them.

6. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    You do need to use Swap Magic with the sensor blocks.

Swap Magic 3.6 or 3.8 should both work. This is pretty much what you're looking for. You will probably want to go with the sensor blocks (Magic Switch I believe) having the slim line. The flip top is more for the phat PS2's.

7. ps2craze7
    OP

United States
    Hmm. Thanks for all you guys replies. What I need to know now is would this work? If I just order that whole thing right there would I be able to play my back-ups and imports? Sorry, I just want to be completely sure about it.

http://www.techloops.com/ps2swmav32pl.html

8. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I don't know if Swap Magic works on the 90001 but you'll need the flip top along with the discs unless you plan to use tape on the sensors (I tried that on my older slim and it was a pain). Here's where I bought it from, it's cheaper than your link...

http://www.estarland.com/Playstation2.cat....duct.20766.html
    http://www.estarland.com/Playstation2.cat....duct.22064.html

A word of caution, I don't know if I just got a bad one or if they're all so poorly made, but I had to use a remote to weigh down the new top because it didn't cover one of the sensors entirely

9. ps2craze7
    OP

United States
    So the Swap Magic and Flip Top is all you needed to be able to run backups? What exactly does the Magic Switch do? Just a harder hook-up to cover sensors?

10. ps2craze7
    OP

United States
    Been a while so I'm gonna bump this. I read the date code on my PS2 and the model number is scph-90001 with the date code 0c. Does that help any?

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Why is this "urgent"?

12. ps2craze7
    OP

United States
    Well it was at the time. But thanks for your..useful info.

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    So it was "urgent" that you pirate PS2 games?

Do you know what the word "urgent" means?

14. ps2craze7
    OP

United States
    Means I needed it THEN and not a week later. Don't treat me like some idiot. And don't jump to conclusions about me pirating games. If you don't anything productive to say then just stay off of my thread okay?

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Why did you need it then?

"Urgent" implies that its important. How is your thread more important than any other thread?

Why should we drop what we're doing and help you in the expedited manner you seem to think you deserve?

16. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    When I softmodded my PS2 I felt it was so urgent I actually phoned the Emergency Services to see if they had a memory card with Free McBoot already on it.

17. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Being a US resident, he probably should have phoned Obama.

18. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I'm gonna say because he started the thread asking for assistance where you provided none.

19. ps2craze7
    OP

United States
    I didn't ask anyone specifically to stop anything they were doing now did I? It was urgent at the time cause I actually had the money then to get it at that point. You obviously ain't that busy if you had time to post just "Why is this 'urgent'?" So don't act like I took away any of your "precious" time.

20. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Were you going to lose that money if you didn't spend it? Were all the swap discs of the world going to fly away?

It has nothing to do with how I want to spend my time. It's the fact that you felt your thread was entitled to special treatment. Like a spoiled child, with no sense of patience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.