[PS2] is my ps2 moddable?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by 4ur0r, Jun 1, 2015.

1. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    Hi, today I grabbed my ps2 slim and I remembered the old times when playing final fantasy 7, kingdom hearts...
    Too bad that the disk reader is broken.
    The ps2 slim model is SCPH-75004, is there any way to make it moddable in order to play games from an usb stick? if yes, are required some external devices, and where could I buy them?

2. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Dec 29, 2008
    Chile
    Mi casa
    Yes, your PS2 is moddeable. You have 2 methods:

1) FreeMCBoot: it install to the memory card. You'll either need a memory card with it already installed to install it to your own MC or a someone with a chipped PS2 to install FMC to your memory card (download with instructions http://psx-scene.com/forums/attachm...ee-mcboot-1-94-noobie-package-fmcb1.94_np.zip)

2) Modchip: you'll have to buy this one, the most popular chip is the matrix chip. You can install it by yourself or ask someone to do it for you.

With a few minutes in google you can find more info about the modchip.

After that, you can either use USB (not recommended) or SMB (way better than disc). Open Loader does both and it's included in the installer pack.

3. 4ur0r
    OP

4ur0r GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2015
    Italy
    That's great, too bad that I don't know anyone with an already modded ps2... Guess I'll stick with emulator then. Thanks!