Hacking PS2 FreeMcBoot Formatting Hard Drive Help

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got FreeMcBoot working on my PS2 and I had an old Fujitsu IDE hard drive lying around (it looks like this). I arranged the jumpers on the drive to "Master" and tried formatting in wLaunchElf but when I say "OK", it immediately fails. The drive spins and there's a green light that flashes so I don't know what's wrong. Is my drive bad?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Then try formating it with HD Loader or WinHiip next. Or try to preformat it to some filesystem (not sure why it would make it work), or buy a Gamestar adapter (without a network port, or an IDE/sata adapter for your network adapter, and try it that way.

Presuming its not the HDD that failed. In which case, buy different IDE HDD.. ;)

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the sake of argument, have you tried any of these ideas?
  • Format the drive with OPL (simply try to access it in OPL and it will auto-format it if it's not formatted) - then re-format it in wLaunchELF
  • Try setting jumpers to Cable Select
  • Try removing all jumpers
The first one actually worked for me with a drive that wouldn't recognize at all in wLaunchELF HDD Manager.
the 2nd & 3rd options we things i've had to do to get finnicky HDDs to work in a PC that wouldn't detect properly. May not help at all on PS2 but won't hurt to try if OPL doesn't fix it for you.

Honestly if you don't mind spending some money I would get the SATA conversion PCB for your network adapter and then you can use up to a 2TB SATA HDD or SSD in 3.5" or 2.5". I realize that's not the solution you asked for but who doesn't want 2TB of games in their PS2? :D

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I would try it in a PC if you can.

Honestly if you don't mind spending some money I would get the SATA conversion PCB for your network adapter and then you can use up to a 2TB SATA HDD or SSD in 3.5" or 2.5". I realize that's not the solution you asked for but who doesn't want 2TB of games in their PS2? :D

Be careful with these kits, I suspect mine shorted and blew a literal fuse which is soldered to the PS2's motherboard.

I was lucky that I only blew the 12V rail, so I can still use 2.5" disks.

Honestly if you don't care for network capabilities, I would just look at buying a SATA HDD adapter.

Reactions: KiiWii

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would try it in a PC if you can.

Be careful with these kits, I suspect mine shorted and blew a literal fuse which is soldered to the PS2's motherboard.

I was lucky that I only blew the 12V rail, so I can still use 2.5" disks.

Honestly if you don't care for network capabilities, I would just look at buying a SATA HDD adapter.
Interesting. I've installed a few for friends and never had an issue... That said, out of the many options I have always purchased the purple colored PCB version. Not sure if that's a better quality piece, there's the chance of alignment issues with the fpc cable shorting 12v, or just random dumb luck...

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting. I've installed a few for friends and never had an issue... That said, out of the many options I have always purchased the purple colored PCB version. Not sure if that's a better quality piece, there's the chance of alignment issues with the fpc cable shorting 12v, or just random dumb luck...

There may be different reasons, such as the board moving just enough to allow it to short. I know EU HDD adapters are slightly different internally due to the lack of a modem but I've never looked to deep into it.

Either way, I'd recommend covering the board with electrical tape or an equivalent (where it makes sense of course) to reduce risks.

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for the sake of argument, have you tried any of these ideas?
  • Format the drive with OPL (simply try to access it in OPL and it will auto-format it if it's not formatted) - then re-format it in wLaunchELF
  • Try setting jumpers to Cable Select
  • Try removing all jumpers
The first one actually worked for me with a drive that wouldn't recognize at all in wLaunchELF HDD Manager.
the 2nd & 3rd options we things i've had to do to get finnicky HDDs to work in a PC that wouldn't detect properly. May not help at all on PS2 but won't hurt to try if OPL doesn't fix it for you.

I tried all of those, nothing. I think the HDD is busted. We'll try another one when we get the chance.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An IDE drive should be now at least 15~16yo if not more. Even if it did work now you shouldn't expect it to last long then suddenly all your efforts/loaded games/saves could go in an instant. Just get an 2.5 or 3.5 HDD of any capacity (as they're much cheaper these days), not only will it hold more games, but also be reliable in the long run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he... +1