PS2 fat

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Sicklyboy, Aug 30, 2011.

Aug 30, 2011

PS2 fat by Sicklyboy at 5:56 AM (1,206 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Sicklyboy
    OP

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    So, my generous uncle (seriously, he's the best) gave me and my brother his old PS2 fat. He did say he modded it, but didn't say exactly what he had done to it... the only thing I see that was done is he installed the PS2 FlipTop mod (he said something about a cheat disk, but when you eject, the console resets so this is a lid on top that opens so you can manually remove and replace the disk).

Otherwise, I don't think it is touched. He gave me MGS2 and Max Payne, along with a SOny memcard for it, plus the ethernet adapter.

Now, I am VERY interested in two things concerning this. One, the network adapter has a hookup (4 pin molex and 40 pin IDE) for an IDE hard drive? What on earth is this for??? Second, with it he gave me a small PCB with a USB female port on it, the other end being 4 traces directly in line with the USB pinout, it says "www.ozXodus.com" on it. The heck is this for? I googled "ozxodus", and an xbox mod came up, which would sorta make sense considering he DID hardmod his old xbox, but is there something for the ps2 that uses this also?

2. DeltaBladeX

Member DeltaBladeX GBAtemp Fan

New Zealand
    The official use was with a hard drive for Final Fantasy XI and a handful of other games. I think most English releases had compatibility with it striped out anyway. Unofficially, you can use homebrew software to install PS2 games to a hard drive an run them from their for faster load times and no region check.

3. Sicklyboy
    OP

United States
    So I read the softmod guide stickied here for the PS2. Any idea what kind of Action Replay/Code breaker I would need to do it?

Also, what are the disadvantages of using a Swap Magic over that? Could I use a Swap Magic to run unofficial code, and in the end use that to softmod the PS2?

4. justinefremlouw

Member justinefremlouw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if u already have swap magic, you can use it to install freemcboot (google sksapp)...from there, you can either play burned games with ESR or get an internal HDD with your network adapter to play games with OPL (highly recommended)

If you don't have swap magic, chances are, the other options to install fmcb like a cheat disc is cheaper and more accessible...I bought a gameshark v2.1 from gamestop for $20 a couple years back when swap magic was ~$35...dunno abt now

5. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The network adapter can be used to install an IDE hdd into your PS2 phat and subsequently incorporate the console into your home network. OPL is a great loader as is HDLoader for running ISOs from the IDE internal hdd.

You may consider picking up an IDE to USB adapter and transferring your PS2 games to the hdd via a PC with WinHiip.

6. Sicklyboy
    OP

United States
    and I conveniently have an IDE->USB adapter already XD just no standard way to power it, but my pc psu will do the trick.

7. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My IDE to USB adapter came with an AC power supply and it is a godsend. It probably set me back about $15US on tigerdirect iirc.

Also, I went with a 320GB Maxtor and formatted it with the aforementioned WinHiip program. If you format the hdd through your PS2 console, there is a limit on how big of a hdd you can install (140GB, I think.) WinHiip has a setting for larger hdds to be formatted for this application.

Lastly; once networked into your home network via the network adapter, you can dump games into your PS2 phat's IDE hdd via hdldumb or hdldump from a PC's optical drive or even XDumb from a Mac.

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Take a look at this list:
    http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

And look at fitting and working. The maximum that is supported is around 200 GB, but i could be wrong. More likely you can only use that max amount if you put in a bigger HDD. Just google before you buy a HDD.

9. justinefremlouw

United States
    as the above list stated, WD probably isn't a good choice because you have to modify your NA (not that there's anything wrong with that but you need the rare T6 torx screwdriver to unscrew the power connection)...I'd suggest maxtor
    make sure you check to make sure the HDD you're buying is compatible...It's probably harder for you to get a large IDE HDD as they're being overshadowed by SATA drives...

as far as I know, the games that work are 007 Agent under fire and 007 from Russia with love...
    honestly, I prefer the cheat disc route because you just need it to be able to access files from a USB drive and copy it into your MC

10. Sicklyboy
    OP

United States
    I got Agent Under Fire for 5 bucks at gamestop today, because I couldnt find a cheat disk. I'll try to install fmcb tonight when I get home from work.

Ill look at newegg and see what they have in the range of maxtor drives. I get paid this friday (I think) so I won't buy anything until then, though.

Edit - also, if I do start downloading PS2 iso's, is there a way to trim or compress them, like the wbfs file system for the Wii?

11. justinefremlouw

United States
    nah, you don't really compress them. Assuming you're playing using HDD, it's just a matter of getting winhiip, formatting your drive to PS2 format and adding your games.

12. Sicklyboy
    OP

United States
    Just finished installing fmcb to it with 007 Agent Under Fire. Works like a champ XD now I just have to figure out what I can do with it. That's a project for tomorrow, though. It's 5 AM here (eastern time) and I am tired as hell.