PS2, DVD9 issues?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by grifterb, Dec 19, 2015.

1. grifterb
    OP

grifterb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    I've read that several people had problems running DVD9 games, something about the laser not being powerful enough appearently. I was planning on getting a 10 piece dvd9 cake, but they are much more expensive compared to the single layer ones. If they are not going to work on my ps2 I will not buy any. I was wondering, is there a way to determine which models have problems with DVD9 games? Is it just random?

By the way, I have the Guitar Hero World Tour disc, which as far as I know is a DVD9 game (it is the original disc, not a back up). I have never used it, but would it be safe to assume that if that disc works, then the DVD9 backups I created must work as well?

One last thing, would using a DVD9 backup damage the PS2 in any way possible?

2. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan
    The PS2 always had more trouble reading DVD9s. If you buy some, make sure they are of good quality -- not just any DVD9 will do.

3. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    What I remember from back years ago that the first 4 versions off PS2 have big problems to read DVD9 games.
    There are not so many off them but, still.
    Mosly I use DVD5 rips of the game or play them off HDD with HDloader.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice