PS1/2 Ps2 and Hdd

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am working on an interesting project and I had a question. If I had a hdd with an ethernet port would I be able to connect it to a slim with a crossover cable? I guess my real question is would the ps2 even know what the hell it's connected to? This is a slim (silver) fyi. Couldn't find any answers through a search, so hopefully somebody knows. Thanks.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The read rate is slow though (via usb), so I was wondering if this would or could offer a faster rate and possibly reduce lag in games/load times.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
surely it's faster than a DVD-R though.
Why do you say that? From what I've heard, HDD on PS2 isn't the greatest at the moment, but even if it were, I don't see why it'd be faster than DVD-R. After all, a DVD is dependent on the speed of the disc drive, which is usually around standard speed (depending on the age and condition of the drive), while the HDD is heavily dependent on the reading speed of not only the HDD, but the USB port that it's connected to.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what i recall of the usb loader for the ps2 it tends to load games around the same speed as the dvd drive, if you really want to use an ide on a slim ps2, i recall it could be done with a bit of soldering but sod knows where to find that info now a days

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To resolve the USB speed debate, the PS2 uses USB 1.0 which makes for 2 problems when using the USB port to plug in an HDD. First, you have to use a drive with external power, because it can't obtain enough power from the port. Second, the transfer rate is MUCH lower regardless.

As for your hard drive question, I'd assume it would work via OpenPS2Loader if you connected the HDD to the same router as the PS2. For a direct connection like you're wanting though, I don't think that's possible with the software available today.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS2 USB is far slower than the dvd drive. Only has usb 1.1, so 1.5MB/s max. Drive is x4 for dvd, 5.5MB/s max.

Anyway openps2loader can make use of network drives.

0.8 read me
  • Improved NAS support for more devices
Don't think there is a compatibility list around though or set up guides for specific ones. So you'd just have to try it and see what happens.

Meh, beaten. Teach me not to refresh :).

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Same kind of idea discussed here. Basically it should be possible to read games off of a network HDD. Do note that quite a few games do work via USB loading. Regardless of the slow read speed :3

ps. The internal HDD of the PS2 Phat is about 20x the read speeds of DVDs AFAIK. USB is the rates mentioned by Armadillo.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might actually be helpful Qtis. I've read of the questionable game compatability with usb hard drives, and that is what spawned the question I had. I want the best compatability that I can get if I incorporate this into the project I'm building. Hopefully it will work. I do have a phat ps2, but I am trying to make something portable so the shear size of the power supply board and main board in that thing are huge, kind of impeding it from being as small as possible. Reason for me wanting to use my slim. Thanks :yay:

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Easiest way to find out is test them out yourself. If the game(s) you want working work with little to no stuttering in FMVs, I'd stick with the PS2 Slim and USB loading. If you feel that the games are lacking, go for the network loading (or HDD loading for that matter). An interesting point in regards to game read speeds is that if the method used for reads is too fast (Phat HDD for example can succeed in this), you'll have to slow the reading down to get playable levels. Luckily this can be done via FMCB IIRC. Haven't had time to test yet, since I just loaded my own PS2 Phat with a HDD :)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same kind of idea discussed here. Basically it should be possible to read games off of a network HDD. Do note that quite a few games do work via USB loading. Regardless of the slow read speed :3

Yeah, I played Jak and Daxter no problems via network from my computer. Load times were long of course, but not unreasonable. When I tried Jak 2 though, things went down the drain. Textures and footholds weren't loading quick enough so I'd be driving the ship thing and just plummet randomly until the map loaded.

Try it and see how it works for you. But the best option is to just use an HDD connected to the Network Adapter (as in, not via Ethernet).

koyuki_kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HI sorry about myvery bad english, iam working in a similar project, but is PS2 host, is create a host PC-ps2, you share a folder with the client in the PC and load de game with open2loader via ethernet,I tested and it works perfect fast load and the full motion video dont freeze :D

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Open PS2 Loader supports Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices. I personally have a shared drive on my desktop, accessed with a second ethernet port and a crossover cable running to my PS2. I've had a lot less trouble using a crossover cable than going through my router. For whatever reason, my router made a lot of games lose connection and freeze. You have brought up an interesting point though. I may try and see if I can get an old NAS unit I have to work with my PS2 using a crossover cable to make my games portable.

Edit:
Well, It turns out that you have to do a complicated mess to get a NAS working with a PS2... You have to install a Linux distribution and set it up like a pc with network shares. http://opl.sksapps.com/index.php?opl=config_nas.html

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a WD my book live and i think it acheive what you want with lot less hassle.
just copy your files on there and put the ip and share name of the hard drive in OPL. thats all. I think it would need a router but i am not an expert all i know it works for me...

Also most router nowadays have a usb port that let you plug a hard drive and do the same they seem like a good investment if you want to play PS2 backups even if mybooklive is not that expensive.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
That might actually be helpful Qtis. I've read of the questionable game compatability with usb hard drives, and that is what spawned the question I had. I want the best compatability that I can get if I incorporate this into the project I'm building. Hopefully it will work. I do have a phat ps2, but I am trying to make something portable so the shear size of the power supply board and main board in that thing are huge, kind of impeding it from being as small as possible. Reason for me wanting to use my slim. Thanks :yay:

I'm using OPL + USB HDD via USB fine without an external power supply (only even used 1 of the 2 ports on my slim).

I've never had a game I wasn't able to play via OPL 1.8 yet.

Problems arise with it when the drive or the file is fragmented so make sure to defrag( I used tuneup ) your HDD when problems occur. For USB flash drives, I just reformat and recopy since it's faster.

You can use ISOs to play in OPL. In fact I would suggest it with games < 4gb in size. For larger games, use usb extreme etc.

Be sure that the format of your USB flash or HDD is FAT32.

Using VMC gives you almost unlimited saves albeit a little slower save time.

Gamplaywise, some (I mean most) of the movies stutter but not really that big a problem for me. Load times is also slower but not by much.

Some I finished using OPL:

FFXII -> Stutter on the movies but load times are as fast as DVD

Tales of the abyss -> Opening movie stutters but all other movies play full speed. Never use VMC!

WIld Arms 5 -> Great!

Ar Tonelico -> OPL is the only way I was able to play this game as it somehow did not like my 8mb MC so I used VMC for saves.

Tekken -> My laser is slower reading my DVD than OPL via USB.

BTW, you could also use codebreaker with OPL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr