PS1/PS2/PSP Combatiblity

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Bonestorm, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Bonestorm
    OP

Bonestorm GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    Midgar, Sector 5
    Hi guys, i was thinking of purchasing a 3.55 PS3 and was wondering what the compatibility is like on PS1/PS2/PSP games. I expect PS1 to have basically full compatibility but what about PS2/PSP do all games work? or only certain PS2 games on certain model PS3's i have a slim not a PHAT model.

Any info would be great.

2. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    Second Line. Have a look at

http://rebug.me

Greetz Seb[​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

3. Evilengine

Evilengine GBAtemp Regular

Jan 30, 2008
    Gambia, The
  4. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    about 80% or so ps2 games work on non-bc systems. psp is hit or miss mostly. I wouldn't make either (especially the psp) a deciding factor though. I bought my ps3 for the exclusives.

5. HitchensRIP

HitchensRIP Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    Malta
    I have read all that but I have some doubt I hope someone could clarify as there's a lot of terms I dont understand:

Would ANY 3.55 PS3 Slim be able to play PSX and PS2 backups (or at least a good chunk of it) with the correct CFW ?

6. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    all psx games should be playable. most ps2 games as well if u have a non bc system. all ps2 games should be playable or almost all anyway with a bc system. I believe burns of ps2 games only work on bc systems due to the emulator that's called. the net emulator is what we're using to play backups which is y it's somewhat limited. that's for psn games and backups on the hard drive.

HitchensRIP likes this.
  7. HitchensRIP

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    Malta
    That is awesome as information out there is so confusing. Not really interested in burns as preserving laser as well as maintaining my game collection sealed is my aim. Is bricking a thing while installing CFW on ps3?

Was very close to "hard" modding my ps2 with Network adapter and whatnot as well as hunting down a 3.55 PS3 but this seem to be an all in one solution :D

8. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    bricking is not that much of a concern since say rebug always provides an md5 with their releases. I own a modded ps2 and a cfw ps3, but I usually play ps2 games on the ps2.

cvskid likes this.
  9. HitchensRIP

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    Malta
    Why is that ? Shouldnt PS3 resolution be better and also wireless DS3 support? Or isn't that a thing with CFW ?

I know modded ps2 can do full screen (i think) - not a big fan of CRTs

10. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I just recently replaced my laser, so I'm trying to give it something to do instead of it dying from nonuse like last time. ;) I do have a wireless controller, the nyko airflo, which actually has a fan inside to cool ur hands if they start sweating which is gross, but it does have a good wireless antennae. I think the wireless ps2 controllers use rf (not sure exactly), but the logitiech one (the official wireless ps2 controller) has some issues with connectivity or not reading my commands correctly which is y I use the airflo.

no, the ps3 controllers can be used with psx/ps2 games, no problem, it's just about the laser in my ps2 - the reason I play ps2 and psx games on the system. :)

11. HitchensRIP

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    Malta
    Since you seem to be responsive I take the chance to ask you one last question :P as I found an ebay seller which has different internal HDD sized ps3s running 3.55

Any substantial difference between in loading times when loading from internal as opposed to external HDD, if that's even a thing for ps3 ?

12. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure if this is still the case with iso loading, but some games would require an internal hdd. the system itself requires one especially if ur using a slim since flash files r stored on them. is that the answer u were looking for?

13. HitchensRIP

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    Malta
    Sort of yeah. the seller has units ranging from 120GB to 320GB with different price tags and at home I got spare external HDDs, so I wanted to see onto whether ISOs load faster on Internal or if there's no difference...

14. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    that I don't know. I use jb folders. I'd imagine that they're still limited especially if u have a game with a lot of small files. btw, ps2 iso's only work from an internal if that makes a difference to u.

HitchensRIP likes this.
  15. HitchensRIP

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2017
    Malta

Ye ok thats huge - was having a look at how folder structure is and that was my assumption. Awesome dude! very helpful :)

Last edited by HitchensRIP, Apr 24, 2017
  16. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Since this thread is about PS3 BC, do you guys know how can I control the fan while in PS2/PS1 emulation mode? My fan gets really loud (I'd say about 80% speed) whenever I play a ps1/ps2 game on my fat ps3. I tried changing the settings in webman options but it didn't work

17. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    u might buy the smaller hdd system, then put in a 1TB drive. it might cost less that way. I personally removed my ps3's hdd and replaced it with a 750GB drive. then, put the drive in an enclosure to be used with my 360. lol that's what I'd suggest anyway. u'll have plenty of room and won't have to pay more just for a larger drive that ur swapping out anyway.

18. baileyscream

baileyscream GBAtemp Regular

Feb 22, 2015
    You need to do the ps2 side of fan control
    Or try sman instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godreborn and guisadop like this.
  19. guisadop

guisadop GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Brazil
    Thank you, I'll try that later!

20. leerz

leerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 11, 2015
    Makati
    the problem afaik with the ps3 and ps1 is cdda (afaik thps doesn't have music)

most ps2 games will run on even on non bc units (expect lag for 3d games)
    this improves for fat bc units