PS Vita uses AMOLED Screen Technology

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Satangel, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Satangel
    OP

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Some new details regarding the PS Vita screen have emerged including the manufacturer and screen technology.

A report from a Korean newspaper reveals that the Playstation Vita uses Samsung's AMOLED screen technology. Samsung are also confirmed to be manufacturing the screens for Sony. If you are unaware of the terminology AMOLED basically means the screen uses an advanced colouring technique, basically the colours on the PS Vita screen will be very vivid and bright.

[​IMG]

So that means the PS Vita will include a 5 inch 960x540 AMOLED touchscreen.

Some products such as the Samsung Galaxy Tablet also use Samsung's AMOLED technology.

Source

2. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    It looks so purty.

3. Ace

Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Apr 8, 2009
    Manhattan
    so long, pure black colors on my Sony games....
    Ah, well, whatever.

4. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Isn't this very old news?

5. Santee

Santee Jalapeño

Nov 13, 2008
    United States
    Conneticut
    What? I thought they said it was going to be an OLED screen or was that just a rumor?

6. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    F*ck yes.
    I saw the amoled on the samsung galaxy S, damn that was beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  7. prowler

prowler Sony

Jul 14, 2009
    Ragol
    No, Sony said OLED but not AMOLED.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Germany
    Last time I checked, OLED displays still had the issue of a fairly fast discoloration, has this been fixed yet? Also, most commercial AMOLED implementations only had a limited set of colored subpixels, unlike LCDs which usually have every pixel trichromatic.

9. Sülf

Sülf Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Gambia, The
    The screen is still OLED

10. zygie

zygie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    Aren't LCDs the ones that can't produce "true blacks" because they still let the backlight pass through a filter?

11. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    Oh, awesome. My friend and I just got Samsung Galaxy SII phones, and the Super AMOLED screens look beautiful. Great news.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    In short this means that the Vita will be 100% playable even in the middle of a well-lit desert, which is always a good thing. We don't want another GBA Classic, do we? That console, as much as it was awesome, was hard to play on even when you were standing at the very centere of the sun itself. You'd expect Nintendo to know those things after GB Light... Thank God for GBA SP and SP mk.2.

13. Fat D

Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 18, 2006
    Germany
    Indeed they are. That is the main selling point of Plasma Display Panels, after all.

14. s4mid4re

s4mid4re  

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    No glare on the screen...?! O:

F*CK YES AMAZING

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty much. As opposed to a standard backlight, AMOLED screens are composed of organic LED's representing individual pixels, hence they don't need to be backlit. Moreover, those LED's can vary in light intensity, producing "real colours" and "real black and white". These drain the battery of course, but the effect is quite stunning.

2 people like this.
  16. tigris

tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

Jun 19, 2010
    The Tibetan Himalayas
    purdy purdy purdy!

17. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    I'm not sure if it's the same exact screen that's on the SII, but there is still some glare on with the Super AMOLED. It's incredibly minimal when compared to other devices, but it is still there. It's still kind of hard to use in the sun unless you max out the brightness. The phone has auto lighting, so it's usually not a problem, but I imagine you'll have to manually adjust the brightness on the Vita - unless they said something to the contrary. Either way though, the screen on the SII is stunning, so if it's the same one, it's welcome addition.

18. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    The Vita is shaping up to be a very, very beautiful machine. Mm-Hm.

19. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    It may not be glare-free, but the reduction of the current glare problems is very welcoming.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There are no glare-free screens. As long as you can "play" in sunlight without any gymnastics, I can't really think of anything "better" they could've done. This is pretty much the only "beef" I have againts some portables - when the screen is unreadable in sunlight, it's not really a protable, is it? The idea is to carry the device around, isn't it?

I know AMOLED displays are readable in sunlight - not perfect, but good enough to tell who's an enemy and where's a door in games, and that's a reason to worship devices which use such screens.