Hacking PS Vita 2000 problem

Dimon3921

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I was trying to fix my analog sticks' drifting, but seems like I might've got myself in more trouble. When I separated the front and back cases, some sort of gold and white piece fell out and though I didn't really pay any attention to it when it first happened, but now I'm kinda worried hoping it can be put back or if it somehow got there without actually being a piece of the vita's back parts. I asked on Reddit and some guy told me it's a "heat sink padderGOLO for the CPU". Now, if that's so, where on the motherboard would I have to put this thing?
Any help is appreciated

Can't share the pic here since I'm a new user, what should I do?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd advise taking a look at a teardown on youtube to see if you can figure out what the part is and where it came from.

I just found this one, but there are plenty of others if this one's no help.

silverspring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd advise taking a look at a teardown on youtube to see if you can figure out what the part is and where it came from.

I just found this one, but there are plenty of others if this one's no help.

You couldn't have picked a worse video to show a teardown. Apart from the unnecessary profanity, he's manhandling that vita and butchering it which explains why his vita was battered to begin with.

Reactions: digipimp75

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You couldn't have picked a worse video to show a teardown. Apart from the unnecessary profanity, he's manhandling that vita and butchering it which explains why his vita was battered to begin with.
Lol, sorry, I didn't watch it... I literally just grabbed one of the first teardowns that showed up when I searched for one - it was just to emphasise the concept of using a visual aid to troubleshoot the issue.
...but there are far worse teardowns on youtube given OPs reason for viewing; camera too far away, constantly obscuring the guts of the Vita with hands/head, missing important steps of the teardown.

Dimon3921

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, sorry guys for making a thread on kind of the wrong forum, I realized that only after having made it and it said I could only make 1 post per day, so couldn't repost it back on the right forum

Back to the topic, I didn't mind the profanity, the "manhandling" was pretty relatable, since it seems as though the piece probably fell out because I got impatient and started using a flat-head screwdriver to separate the front and back cases, and I kept making it crack (to open it up), but I also kept accidentally making it close back, so it took a really long time and while I was commiting this "manhandling" I kind've touched the insides with the screwdriver, probably leading to the small piece detaching and falling out of the case. So.. The video didn't actually help, since it was still mostly blurry and I decided to find some other videos.

I think this video has the motherboard visible enough, but I still probably need to pull out the housing covering the motherboard, ugh:
(9:57)

Yeah, I'm only now coming to the conclusion that I need to check out the motherboard fully visible on my own vita. I had thought it to be more of a hassle, but now I realize I could've actually saved myself time. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a working vita with working sticks and a working heat sink padderGOLO (whatever that stands for), so that I don't have to worry about the CPU overheating when I "overclock" it.

Cool, I can now show you the piece
4r2h8u9hoyw61.png

Last edited by Dimon3921,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It looks kinda like the cap that attaches the antenna to the wifi module... but without knowing the guts of the 2000, and what would likely be accessible, my guess could be way off.
It could also be a button contact ...power button maybe?

Last edited by duwen,

Dimon3921

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, you're not sure if it's a piece from the motherboard? Your guesses kinda gave me an idea: to wipe everything with alcohol first, let it dry, reassemble it except for the piece and see what isn't working/working, but wrong. That might give away it's rough location

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: