Project WUM

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by drakorex, Jul 30, 2014.

1. drakorex
    OP

drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Wiiflow User Manual

OK. So here's the lowdown. My goal is to provide an in depth explanation of everything that is Wiiflow, from the GUI, to the plugins, and everything in between. Frankly I'm shocked that someone hasn't done this before, like as things were being added.

I trust we've all hacked wiis for people before, and they always end up having questions, whether it be how to use their categories, or why they suddenly can't access their games because they accidentally switched partitions. Sure the "help" button gives very basic controls and troubleshooting tips, but it seems very lacking.

What is needed is a handy, dandy user manual that they can pull up to answer any questions they may have.

This is not an installation guide, nor is it purely a Wiiflow guide. This is more of a "hacked wii guide for Wiiflow users".

Most pages will simply "cover" themselves, however some may actually be videos that the user can launch, explaining more about the information on the page they were just reading.

Needless to say, there is alot of information to cover, and plenty of fact checking to be done. I'm requesting help on this, and better understanding of the material that will be covered. (Also, if you are able to recommend any other people who would be willing to contribute to the cause, that would be great too.)

Below is a link to what I have so far. This is a very rough draft. Basically, I'm trying to get as much information down on "paper" as I can so we can get a feel for how it's going to unfold.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oom70vq5xy2ui4u/wum.rar

Anyone who feels like tackling this with me, feel free to chip in. I'll send what I've done so far.

I envision something like this. (except more refined)

And yes, I'm aware of the Wiiflowiki, which is source to a good majority of what I intend to cover. I just feel that there should be a thorough in-loader guide that the user can reference, to limit unneeded searching for information.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    What does WUM mean ?
    I thought you gonna talk about the already existing program called WUM (Wii Update Manager), but I guess not :P
    Wiiflow User ... Manual?

I started a guide for USBLoaderGX using the wiki, but it's a looot of work. If you will do it alone for Wiiflow, I wish you good luck :)
    Users will need it, but it will be long way to cover everything. Thanks for wanting to provide your help.

3. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    Yes, it is alot of work. It would be nice if two or three people could find the time every now and then to just pick a topic that needs covered, and knock it out in half an hour. Progress is slow when nobody bothers to care. :/

4. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I lost it at the audio xD
    Keep it in there, it adds entertainment value.
    Were you just trolling or...?
    Anyway, this does not seem necessary... especially since the Wii is near its end. But hey, I'm all for more written guides! Go for it!

5. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    What? -_-

Now you listen here, mister. There are many people that have missed out on all that the wii has to offer, perhaps because of limited budget, or they just had parents/other people that didn't have a clue about video gamery. When you hack a wii for someone, either solely for them, or because it will bring enjoyment to their children, you don't just say "Here ya go, figure it out!" You sit down with them and explain things so they can understand.

Then a few months down the road, you get calls and texts asking for help because they either screwed something up, or they forgot half of what you told them, and they want you to fix it. That is where the importance of this guide comes in, and there will be many people who will appreciate a fast, easy to use guide that answers questions they may have about a broad number of things regarding all the features of Wiiflow, and the hacked console as a whole.

And as for the Wii being dead, I direct you to Nintendo's latest home console, the Wii U, which allows many of the same features that the Wii did, and then some. :)

gburgue, cinhomartins and jonthedit like this.
  6. drakorex
    OP

Jan 19, 2011
    United States
    So anybody interested in helping out? So far, I got MassiveRican, MasterShoes, and BostonBC on board, but shoes has alot on his plate already.

Not asking for a big commitment, just a little bit here and there when ya got a few minutes. The more folks we got chippin in, the faster and better this thing will be. We think Wiiflow will be better for it! :yay: