Programs that used to work no longer do.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by drakorex, Feb 14, 2013.

Feb 14, 2013
  1. drakorex
    OP

Member drakorex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My laptop was about to commit suicide, so I backed up as much valuable data as I could think of, but of course after I reinstalled windows, some of my stuff no longer wants to work, among them being Dolphin. When I try to start it up, it says that it can't start because XINPUT1_3.DLL is missing.

I know I can easily download it and put it in the dolphin folder and it should work, like I've had to do before with vcomp100.dll. But where can I put them on my computer so that I won't have to move these files to the Dolphin folder each time I download it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Seems I needed to update directX. May a friendly passing mod please strike this thread from the record =)

2. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I'm not sure how to DIRECTLY answer your question but what I've found with Dolphin and some other emulators is that Windows update DOESN'T care about updating DirectX stuff unless it's a service pack (and even then, not so much)
    I'd recommend running this on your computer.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
    As far as where to put other things ... my best guess is /windows, /windows/system, /windows/system32, or somewhere in that \Program Files\Common Files folder ... but I provide no warranty for that suggestion and any damage it may cause.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Just a note, you shouldn't put individual driver files in if you don't need to. If something is complaining about a missing dll or something, then it's a whole library that's missing, and you might have to put in various versions of various files piecemeal. Installing whatever package they belong to for your whole system is better, as you did.